"Guardians of the Galaxy"

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Post by White Haven »

The portrayal of Ronan was...spotty, at best. The rest of the movie was excellent and fun, two different things that don't always align. Ronan...Ronan stood out because he was neither excellent nor fun.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Nebula too - crazy bitch is crazy?

A little more about the Kree religion or something could have been good, instead of just aztecs in space with fighters based on corpses
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Aasharu
Youngling

Post by Aasharu »

I figure, if you have to half-ass something, for time constraints if nothing else, you can get away with half assing the villain Spoiler
that you plan to kill off at the end of the film.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I can't agree there, at all. A good villain is...I would say essential, but this movie just disproved that. I will, however, say that a good villain is massively beneficial. The odd thing is that Ronan's role as a villain isn't what's problematic, they just...did a poor job writing him as a multidimensional character. The movie was never going to have the time to develop him on his own, but it could at least show him as more than a religious-zealot puppykicker.

It's not an enormous fault, but set against the otherwise-high quality, it stands out.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I rather enjoyed the film. The first five minutes were a real suckerpunch though.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

At that point, WhiteHaven, I don't think Ronan *was* anymore than shown. He was as fixated on his mission as Drax was on his. Drax, however, saw the folly of trying to do things on his own.

(Still wondering when they'll reveal Drax's daughter Kimara didn't die, she was turned into Gamora)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Could have done without the first five, because way to make me sad before the fun starts, movie. And I had to reinforce the suspension on my disbelief when the space pirates seemed wholly enthusiastic and not at all mutinous over the instantaneous decision by their captain to attack Entire-Planet-Killing-Space-God despite the entire rest of the non-powered cast quaking in fear at his very name.

But it was an awesome fun movie.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

the first five was excellent, and really needed to make StormLord sympathetic before a jerk, rather then the other way around.

I got the impression the rest of the Ravagers mostly used their heads for decorative piercings :)
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

madd0ct0r wrote:the first five was excellent, and really needed to make StormLord Star-Lord sympathetic before a jerk, rather then the other way around.

I got the impression the rest of the Ravagers mostly used their heads for decorative piercings :)
:oops:
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

who?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The first five minutes also sets up the sequel bait reveal about Peter not being entirely human, where his mother says his father was an "angel".

Oh wait he was actually a space alien.

(Also, I loved his little moment of triumph when someone other than himself actually calls him Star-Lord)
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Vendetta wrote:The first five minutes also sets up the sequel bait reveal about Peter not being entirely human, where his mother says his father was an "angel".

Oh wait he was actually a space alien.

(Also, I loved his little moment of triumph when someone other than himself actually calls him Star-Lord)
Only took 20 years :P

More seriously I really enjoyed this. Groot was brilliant, especially that gleeful smile.
The final post credit scene I honestly think is going to be a complete waste as I don't believe anything will come of it.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Comicbook
Guardians Of The Galaxy Had Highest Percentage Of Female Viewers Of Any Marvel Studios Movie 2

By Joe Comicbook 08/04/2014

The biggest opening weekend ever in August at the U.S. box office wasn’t the only record that James Gunn’s phenomenal Guardians of the Galaxy broke this weekend. According to Box Office Mojo, Guardians of the Galaxy set a new record for percentage of female viewers for a Marvel Studios film.

Based on exit polling, the Guardians of the Galaxy’s audience consisted of 44 percent female viewers, which is the biggest share ever among Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. The previous record holder was The Avengers, which drew in 40 percent female viewers.

It’s a huge win for Marvel Studios and shows that the appeal of their films isn't limited to just male viewers, which typically are rumored to make up the majority of audiences for superhero and sci-fi films. With the growing female audience, hopefully it will also help in pushing forward a solo superhero movie with a female lead.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is scheduled to be released in movie theaters on July 28, 2017.
I wonder why this one had such a high female viewership, or at least, one that was noticed?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lost Soal wrote:The final post credit scene I honestly think is going to be a complete waste as I don't believe anything will come of it.
It was good fun, and one of the best WTF moments of the MCU.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Gandalf wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:The final post credit scene I honestly think is going to be a complete waste as I don't believe anything will come of it.
It was good fun, and one of the best WTF moments of the MCU.
To me it seemed they decided to not go with more sequel hooks like the other movies do and just went for something fun. Like Tony having a session with Bruce from IM3.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Exactly. Not everything needs to be in service of the Almighty Arc. Sometimes it's just enough to have something fun in there.

Like the shawarma scene.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

The after-credits didn't need to be a sequel hook in this film. A LOT of the events of the film create sequel content.
Spoiler
1) Thanos clearly searching for/gathering the Infinity Stones
2) Nebula being crazy/bitter and willing to wreak vengeance upon everybody (especially Gamorra)
3) Quill's 'mysterious' alien father
4) The Collector gathering Infinity Stones (badly it would seem)
5) Celestials are/were real so wtf happened to them then?
6) Who exactly created Rocket?
7) Peace between the Nova Corp and Kree Empire, but tenuous after a 1,000 year war
That's all I can think of now, but it makes for some fertile ground.
It was a little disappointing seeing how the Collector was portrayed. I'd have thought he would be more capable than shown in this movie.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Although there is something in the background of the end credits scene which might just be important in the future.
Spoiler
Adam Warlock's coccoon, shown earlier, is open and empty.
Also:
Spoiler
The Nova Corps are ordinary guys in this, but they just got their asses handed to them on home turf and they have the Power gem. Might it not be tempting for them to try and create an enhanced officer? Officer Ryder, just hold onto these electrodes for a moment.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

So is this baby groot clone the same groot, or did the groot we know die?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

ArmorPierce wrote:So is this baby groot clone the same groot, or did the groot we know die?
from what I've gathered if it's like in the comics then this would be the same Groot
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Then why was he so worry about him dying?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

ArmorPierce wrote:Then why was he so worry about him dying?
I'm guessing this is his first death in the Marvel universe

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I assume Rocket didn't know about the full extent of Groot's regeneritive powers
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away. Spoiler
So, anyone betting on Quill's dad being Adam Warlock?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Lord Revan wrote:
I assume Rocket didn't know about the full extent of Groot's regeneritive powers
Or the infinity stone boosted them a bit, IIRC Rocket was holding part of Groot when they all joined hands
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!