First look at Wonder Woman in BvS:DOJ

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

First look at Wonder Woman in BvS:DOJ

Post by Iroscato »

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dc/3146 ... nder-woman
Thoughts, denizens? Personally I'm rather impressed, though I'm still fearful this is gonna be one bloated damn film. There was also apparently a teaser for the movie shown at comic-con, descriptions of which are popping up on sites.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: First look at Wonder Woman in BvS:DOJ

Post by Majin Gojira »

3 things stand out in the negative for me.

1) The heels. Platforms, really. It just doesn't look that good as opposed to sandals or boots in classical style. It's impractical and stupid, really.

2) The skirt is annoyingly short.

3) The DCU Films have a wonderful trend of not really being 'in color' to any degree.

Other than that, it's a workable costume.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

High heels have pretty much always been part of Diana's getup. Superpowers are a great compensator for picking impractical footwear :D

Don't like the monochromatic look. For all its many faults, 'Man of Steel' at least managed to keep Clark in an iteration of his traditional colours. This is just brown all over. Surely they could've done something more like her usual colour scheme. I'm not asking bright primary colours like in the comics but this?

And yes, the skirt could be longer but then so could the sword.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

If I squint, I don't think it's brown all over, that's just poor lighting. The skirt looks like it could be blue, the tunic (is that the correct term?) should be red, and I see what could be gold highlights on the suit. The colours will probably be muted likes Supes, but it works better on film.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I get some yellow/gold highlights from the torso but that's about it. This has to be either damned bad lighting or seriously muted colours to look like this, but you're right about this usually looking better on film so we'll see. I remember my initial reactions to the first stills of the Nolan suits :)
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The sword's fine. The short sword, in it's various forms, was a weapon widely and effectively used throughout the classical world.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I know. I just don't like short swords.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Saw a manip on CBM - christ, these guys work fast - and it shows more or less exactly what I envision the final product to look like.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That would be a considerable improvement, yes.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Imperial Overlord wrote:The sword's fine. The short sword, in it's various forms, was a weapon widely and effectively used throughout the classical world.
Wasn't the short sword supposed to work best in formation and with a shield, rather than as a weapon for a one on one combat.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

mr friendly guy wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:The sword's fine. The short sword, in it's various forms, was a weapon widely and effectively used throughout the classical world.
Wasn't the short sword supposed to work best in formation and with a shield, rather than as a weapon for a one on one combat.
Yes, but it also worked well in one on one combat. That's why it was so widely used and stayed in wide use for so long. It does suffer when having a large amount of reach or heft matters, which was why it was primarily an infantry weapon and cavalry tended to use longer blades.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Maybe it's so she can use the sword in one hand and the lasso in the other.

I like it, although I don't have much to compare it to - I haven't read any of the Wonder Woman comics. The breastplate has a ancient Greek look to it even with the ridiculous "boobplate" element and the lack of any upper leg protection (like with a longer skirt with mail).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I think they took the hint, although I wish they'd gone for a regular chestpiece+ straps like achilles is modelling here:

I know she's invulnerable, but boobplate.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Who cares about the short skirt. Superman and Batman are going to be in dick and ass hugging tights, but oh no, we may see to much thigh! :roll:

I like it and hopefully they turn up the color a bit, but otherwise, it's how a live action non '70s Wonder Woman should look.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Havok wrote: I like it and hopefully they turn up the color a bit, but otherwise, it's how a live action non '70s Wonder Woman should look.
Barring various other interpretations of the character in the comics, yes, this does check off all the essential parts of the outfit. Breastplate? Combat Skirt? Combat Panties? Headband? Boots? All check (though if I wanted to get picky, the boots are a bit too long and platforms are silly). Really, there are only 2 major deviations from this outfit besides civilian wear (both 'modern' and various togas) in the WW canon, and that's whether she wears pants with the outfit or the fancy golden fighting armour.

Honestly it's a difficult outfit to get wrong unless you depart dramatically from the form, such as giving her an all-over bodysuit or something like that. Or go vinyl, like they tried to do with Adrienne Palicki for the show.

All the damn movies are filtered these days, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

mr friendly guy wrote:
For Greek hoplites, the sword was a backup weapon for when your spear was lost or broken. It was there to give you something to defend yourself with until you could get your hands on another spear.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Honestly I like the shape of the left one and the color of the right one. I wish they'd mix the two.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The colors are fine-- it's nice to see a superhero costume that's not horribly subdued versions of the original colours for once-- but the vinyl, plastic-y texture has got to go. Makes it look like a cheesy $10 Halloween costume. The new film version at least looks more like actual armour than a '50s swimsuit.

Boobplate, granted...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ted C wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:
For Greek hoplites, the sword was a backup weapon for when your spear was lost or broken. It was there to give you something to defend yourself with until you could get your hands on another spear.
Then again, the Romans made the short sword the dominant infantry arm and nobody thought this was weird. In my opinion, the spear was the dominant weapon for hoplites precisely because they were normally formation fighters.

In the Greek mythic tradition where single combat between champions and demigods fighting monsters were the norm, having the primary weapon be a sword makes about as much sense as a spear, and either is viable. And Wonder Woman derives her inspiration from Greek myth, not from the Peloponnesian War.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov