Game of Thrones: Season 5 Casting News

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Game of Thrones: Season 5 Casting News

Post by Elfdart »

Here ya go:

Holy cow Jonathan Pryce got old! :shock:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Game of Thrones: Season 5 Casting News

Post by Vympel »

When I was thinking about House Martell I always imagined Alexander Siddig playing Doran Martell. I quite literally did an Anchorman YAY when I saw that video.

Jonathan Pryce is perfect for the High Sparrow - but damn you're right he does look old.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I am given to understand that as yet they haven't cast Arianne Martell, causing some friends of mine to speculate that they're editing her out.

This would, IMO, be a Bad Thing for a number of reasons.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I haven't read the book so I have no idea who any of those people are.

However, from the number of Martells and Sands on the list, that tells me we are going to see a lot more of Dorne this coming season. This is profoundly exciting; I was disappointed we didn't get to see it at all last season. I have no idea if the narrative involves the Martells and company coming to King's Landing or if we actually get to see stuff happen within Dorne itself, but I hope it's the latter.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I think the makers of the show intended Oberyn to sort of be a teaser for Dorne, because we haven't really even heard about them before his appearance on the screen except enough of an occasional mention to know that they exist. In the books they're foreshadowed a lot more, with the highpoints of their history revealed to the reader before Oberyn shows up.
Simon_Jester wrote:I am given to understand that as yet they haven't cast Arianne Martell, causing some friends of mine to speculate that they're editing her out.

This would, IMO, be a Bad Thing for a number of reasons.
+1. Why would HBO cut [spoilers] a hot girl who has lots of sex (and, y'know, is central to some of the plotlines and all)..? Who are you, and what have you done with the real HBO!?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

I could see them writing out Quentyn as he serves pretty much no purpose in the plot. I think they're going to merge him into Trystane with him being the heir, similar to Garlan and Willas and being merged into Loras. But I think if they tried to merge Arianne into Trystane or one of the Sand Snakes it would be awkward.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, I guess I'm not really emotionally-invested in which Martell kid [massive spoiler]
Spoiler
gets his face burned off, as long as it happens...
Looks like they've aged Trystane and Myrcella up considerably, also, so a lot of *cough* on-screen exposure this season compared to in the books seems probable.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Looks like it's raining Bond villains in Game of Thrones.

Now who could Robert Carlyle play....?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Diana Rigg wasn't a Bond-villain.

But speaking of Bond-actors, I suddenly have this picture in my mind of Götz Otto (Stamper from "Tomorrow never dies") as Victarion Greyjoy, since there seems to be no Lannister-character he could play.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Pelranius wrote:Looks like it's raining Bond villains in Game of Thrones.

I had thought that he would be a good High Sparrow, but they've already cast Jonathan Pryce in that role. One of the Kettleblacks, maybe?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Ultonius wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Looks like it's raining Bond villains in Game of Thrones.

I had thought that he would be a good High Sparrow, but they've already cast Jonathan Pryce in that role. One of the Kettleblacks, maybe?
Or one of the Golden Company commanders.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

J.J. Murphy was supposed to play Ser Denys Mallister but died this past Friday. Unknown if the character will be recast or his part rewritten.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Enigma wrote:J.J. Murphy was supposed to play Ser Denys Mallister but died this past Friday. Unknown if the character will be recast or his part rewritten.
Already announced no recast see here
Watchers wrote:Update: In an official statement from HBO, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have announced, “We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy. He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended.”

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Quentyn's a good story arc in the books but probably not essential to the overall storyline, so I can understand why he was cut even if I think we lose some interesting POV perspective because of it. The Arianne Martel cut is weirder, especially since I figured her storyline was going to link up with that of a Certain Someone from A Dance with Dragons, and they appear to have cut Said Someone out of the TV storyline completely.

I assume that means that the Dornish setting is going to have something to do with Daenerys' storyline in the future of the series, because otherwise why even bother keeping it as a storyline beyond Oberyn?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Yezzan appears to have lost a lot of weight.

Still no Crow's Eye. Theory confirmed?
The Arianne Martel cut is weirder, especially since I figured her storyline was going to link up with that of a Certain Someone from A Dance with Dragons, and they appear to have cut Said Someone out of the TV storyline completely.
I'm hard pressed to think of why they'd have the Sand Snakes but not Arianne Martell. I suppose they might have folded her into one of them.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box