Quidditch or Pro-Bending season tickets

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pro-Bending or Quidditch

Quidditch
13%
Pro-Bending
87%

Total votes: 38

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Quidditch or Pro-Bending season tickets

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, ROB decides to be a nice give you a set of five Season passes to one of two sporting events in one of two alternate universes.

The first of which is the the British and Irish Quidditch League, it comes with a special MoM "Authorized Muggle" badge usually reserved for family members of Wizards to view the event without incident. All that Voldemort stuff was sorted out in 1997.

The second of which is the Republic City Pro-Bending League in beautiful Republic City. This is after Amon.

Each one also covers concessions for the event as well as a few Sickles/Yuans of swag per visit. You can teleport to an event once a weak, in each case will arrive at the event about an hour ahead of time and be returned to your home universe at the conclusion of the event a few minutes latter for our universe.

Which do you choose?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Quidditch or Pro-Bending season tickets

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Since I don't know what pro-bending is, I'll go with Quidditch.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Quidditch for me, mostly as I grew up reading the HP books and have long yearned to see it for real :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Pro-Bending does not make most of the team almost entirely pointless. So For that for the win.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Crazedwraith wrote:Pro-Bending does not make most of the team almost entirely pointless. So For that for the win.
Also Pro-bending seems much more fast paced and with fewer pauses. Plus WWE style staging even if the Quidditch world cup might be interesting to attend as a sport to watch I'd pick bending.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Since I don't know what pro-bending is, I'll go with Quidditch.
here you go

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Thanks, but I think I'll still take quidditch.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Pro-bending matches run on a timer. When the time runs out the match ends.
Quidditch has no timer. It runs until the snitch is caught. However long that takes. Quidditch games have been known to last for months.

That alone makes Pro-bending the more appealing one to watch because I know that it's going to just be one evenings entertainment per match.

I expect that I would also have trouble following the Quidditch game. Especially the snitch, given that it's small and flying around some distance from me. A pro-bending match is in a small area, meaning that even if I get some bad seats, it's viable to use binoculars to watch the match.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah that's true. But ultimately, I'm not really interested in the game, but rather the universe I can temporarily visit.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah that's true. But ultimately, I'm not really interested in the game, but rather the universe I can temporarily visit.
Indeed. The world of Avatar is amazing, but I'd be keeping whatever security they have there nice and busy as they foiled my various, cunning attempts to escape the stadium and visit the rest of the wizarding world :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The rest of the wizarding world is real world Earth (after a fashion). You're not going get access to the wizarding subset of it by simply sneaking out of the stadium.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Batman wrote:The rest of the wizarding world is real world Earth (after a fashion). You're not going get access to the wizarding subset of it by simply sneaking out of the stadium.
Plenty of wizards nearby that I can take hostage though. See, where there's a will, there's a way.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I wasn't gonna suggest taking hostages. Just talking to them could be invaluable. Granted, I have a skewed view since I'm looking for a healer that could fix me. Even if they can't, just talking to actual witches and wizards would be an incredible scientific opportunity.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Chimaera wrote:
Batman wrote:The rest of the wizarding world is real world Earth (after a fashion). You're not going get access to the wizarding subset of it by simply sneaking out of the stadium.
Plenty of wizards nearby that I can take hostage though. See, where there's a will, there's a way.
]Given that a lot of them seem to be even stupider than comic book superheroes, this might actually work.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sticking to the two sports as sports, competitive elemental manipulation appeals to me more than flying around on broomsticks trying to catch a ball. Even if it didn't, the two points made earlier stand.

One, I can be reasonably sure the game will end before someone files a missing-persons report on me for having disappeared long enough to watch it.

Two, well. There are a number of problems with this particular Harry Potter fanfic, but it is genuinely amusing and interesting in other ways, and I pretty much agree 100% with its stance on Quidditch:
"So let me get this straight," Harry said as it seemed that Ron's explanation (with associated hand gestures) was winding down. "Catching the Snitch is worth one hundred and fifty points? "

"Yeah -"

"How many ten-point goals does one side usually score not counting the Snitch?"

"Um, maybe fifteen or twenty in professional games -"

"That's just wrong. That violates every possible rule of game design. Look, the rest of this game sounds like it might make sense, sort of, for a sport I mean, but you're basically saying that catching the Snitch overwhelms almost any ordinary point spread. The two Seekers are up there flying around looking for the Snitch and usually not interacting with anyone else, spotting the Snitch first is going to be mostly luck -"

"It's not luck!" protested Ron. "You've got to keep your eyes moving in the right pattern -"

"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

Ron's face pulled into a scowl. "If you don't like Quidditch, you don't have to make fun of it!"

"If you can't criticise, you can't optimise. I'm suggesting how to improve the game. And it's very simple. Get rid of the Snitch..."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...
It's worse than that
The back-story of the Snitch is the most elaborate of all the Quidditch balls, and its introduction (so it is described in Quidditch Through the Ages) came as the direct result of a game played in 1269 in Kent. By this time, the game had attracted a cult following, and large crowds regularly attended matches.

Barberus Bragge, the Chief of the Wizards’ Council, attended the 1269 game. As a nod to the sport of Snidget-hunting, which was also popular at the time, Bragge brought a Snidget to the game and released it from its cage. He told the players that 150 Galleons—then an enormous sum of money—would be awarded to the player who caught the bird. As the promise of such a large reward would suggest, the players thence totally ignored the game, and simply went off in pursuit of the Snidget, which was kept within the arena by the crowd using Repelling Charms.

A witch named Modesty Rabnott took pity on the Snidget and rescued it with a Summoning Charm, by the time she was caught she had released the Snidget and was fined 10 Galleons, meaning she lost her house. But the connection with Quidditch had been made, and soon a Snidget was being released at every game. Each team added an extra player—originally called the Hunter, later renamed the Seeker—whose sole job was to catch and kill the Snidget, for which 150 points were awarded in memory of the 150 Galleons offered by Bragge in the original game. The popularity of Quidditch led to quickly declining Snidget numbers, and in the middle of the 14th century it was made a protected species by the Wizard's Council. This meant that the bird could no longer be used for Quidditch purposes. The game, however, could not continue without a substitute.

Whilst most people looked for a suitable alternative bird to chase, a metal-charmer called Bowman Wright from Godric's Hollow invented a fake Snidget which he called the Golden Snitch: a golden ball with silver wings, the same size and weight as a real Snidget, enchanted to accurately follow its flight patterns. An additional benefit was that the ball was also charmed to stay within the playing area. The Snitch was also given a "flesh memory", allowing it to remember who touched it first in order to leave no dispute as to who caught it. The Snitch quickly became the approved replacement for the Snidget, and the game of Quidditch has remained largely unchanged ever since.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Simon_Jester wrote:Sticking to the two sports as sports, competitive elemental manipulation appeals to me more than flying around on broomsticks trying to catch a ball.
Yes, it would be much more varied, consistently exciting and interesting to watch. I dare say talking to fellow audience members is likely to be more interesting than the game for Quidditch.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Pro-Bending, as it sounds more interesting an exotic than yet another variation on chasing a ball around.

Can I film the events? It would make for an excellent youtube channel.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Pro-bending, it's a combative sport with rock discs, fire and water.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Does ROB say anything about air-benders in pro-bending ?

After Amon also means after the stadium gets rebuilt. The first full season after that is likely to have harmonic convergence happen before or during it. Which means airbenders, one of whom might want to take part in pro-bending. That should shake things up.
Darmalus wrote:Pro-Bending, as it sounds more interesting an exotic than yet another variation on chasing a ball around.
Especially when the only important ball, the snitch, is something that the players have a hard time seeing.
Can I film the events? It would make for an excellent youtube channel.
Indeed it would.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The really stupid part is that catching the Snitch doesn't automatically win you the game. If you're behind on points by 150 or more catching the Snitch is something you seriously don't want to do.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Pro-Bending. It's more interesting (even without the Snitch), and the former terrorists I could meet in the audience are less likely to kill me if they realize I have no special powers.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Pro-bending if for nothing else but that the rules are easier to follow. I can more-or-less follow along just with a good pair of binoculars.

With Quidditch, I don't remember the rules anymore except that there is a super-fast flying thing called the Snitch that exists so that Harry could be good at the game without having to be a team player.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I thought Pro Bending was from Bender in Futurama before reading this thread.

My choice remains to watch Quiditch regardless as not really sure what Pro Bending Avatar would be like considering the live action film is my only exposure to that world.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Darth Tanner wrote:My choice remains to watch Quiditch regardless as not really sure what Pro Bending Avatar would be like considering the live action film is my only exposure to that world.
A quick look on youtube found this clip which should give you some idea of what a match will look like, since one of the many things the live action film failed at is showing what a bender could do. The link Zor posted earlier goes over the rules.

It's basically two teams, each containing one earth, water and fire bender each trying to use their bending to push the other team backwards across the arena and then push them off the end.