Quidditch or Pro-Bending season tickets

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pro-Bending or Quidditch

Quidditch
13%
Pro-Bending
87%

Total votes: 38

lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Re: Quidditch or Pro-Bending season tickets

Post by lord Martiya »

Zixinus wrote:With Quidditch, I don't remember the rules anymore except that there is a super-fast flying thing called the Snitch that exists so that Harry could be good at the game without having to be a team player.
Good luck remembering them all. They have SEVEN HUNDRED DIFFERENT FOULS (and in one game they managed to commit them all...)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

lord Martiya wrote:
Zixinus wrote:With Quidditch, I don't remember the rules anymore except that there is a super-fast flying thing called the Snitch that exists so that Harry could be good at the game without having to be a team player.
Good luck remembering them all. They have SEVEN HUNDRED DIFFERENT FOULS (and in one game they managed to commit them all...)
At 7 people per team that's an average of 50 fouls per player. What does it take for a player to get removed from a match because they aren't following the rules ?

Or does nobody care about the rules ?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Apparently you can't send people off in Quidditch. They just give penalties for fouls.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote:Apparently you can't send people off in Quidditch. They just give penalties for fouls.
It sounds like the penalties don't matter. Or, at the very least, the rules allow for situations where fouling and taking the penalty can be more advantageous than not fouling.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Pretty Much. Malfoy stops Potter from getting the snitch by grabbing the tail of his broomstick in book 3. Stopped them losing right at that moment in exchange for a penalty and enraging the gryffindors.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote:Pretty Much. Malfoy stops Potter from getting the snitch by grabbing the tail of his broomstick in book 3. Stopped them losing right at that moment in exchange for a penalty and enraging the gryffindors.
Fair enough.

What's the lower limit on what a foul needs to achieve to be worth taking the penalty ?
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Depends on the situation.

And note that the list of fouls isn't actually known in full to 'avoid giving people ideas'. According to the Harry Potter Wiki page on Quidditch, most of the unknown fouls are acts banned anyway by the rule forbidding to cast spells on members of the opposite team, and the others are actual criminal acts (some of those include the use of broadswords and battleaxes, and one is the release of one hundred blood-sucking vampire bats).
Makes me wonder WHY they felt the need to forbid them, and what the fact someone did it anyway says on their society...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That sounds like some things were banned in Quidditch on a case by case basis. Then the rule about casting spells on the enemy team was introduced, or the acts became illegal, and the rules were never updated to remove redundancy. That's not really a problem.

Not giving the players the full list of fouls is a bigger problem in two areas. The first is when a player is breaking a rule the ref doesn't know about, the second is a ref making up rules to give an advantage to one team.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

for the first I assume the refs are given the full list, just not the players, second however can be major issue as it will either slow down the game to crawl when every foul is checked from the rule books or it'll allow massive favortism in the games.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote:for the first I assume the refs are given the full list, just not the players,
What happens when someone is a ref for some games then a player in others ?
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Dunno. We've never seen it happening, and the Wiki doesn't say anything.