new captain america (falcon)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

new captain america (falcon)

Post by dragon »

If Steve Rogers is no longer to fill the role of Captain America, then someone must step up and take his place, and Marvel thinks it has found the right man for the job.

Hot on the heels of introducing a new Thor this week, Marvel has taken the wraps off a mystery everyone knew was coming: Who would be the new Captain America. Having been stripped of his strength and vitality, Steve Rogers has to step down as Captain America, but he still feels that someone should step up into that mantle. With that in mind he turns to one of his closest allies, Sam Wilson, also known as The Falcon.

“Historically, Falcon would often act as air support, flying Steve into the battle. Why not merge the two,” asks series writer Rick Remender.”He pops the wings, and as he flies, he keeps the shield latched onto his back. He dives down onto the scene, hurls the shield, wings retract, and rolls into a kick or jump, catches the shield on the way back. He doesn’t have the super soldier serum, but he has the added zing-zang-zoom of flight.”

Sam Wilson isn’t the first character to take up the mantle of Captain America in the absence of Rogers. Through out the years he was replaced by John Walker (who eventually went insane) and more recently by Bucky Barnes, also known as the Winter Soldier.

As with the news of a new Thor, my guess is this will be a fairly short-lived storyline. With Avengers: Age of Ultron hitting theaters in the U.S. next May, Marvel will want to have Steve Rogers front and center somewhere for those that go from the movie theater to a comic shop. That being said, however, Wilson is a perfectly logical choice to fill Cap’s boots.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: new captain america (falcon)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Stephen Colbert covered this in detail last night.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

While I think they're going too far too fast to think this is more than a desperate gimmick (I mean, (possibly)replacing Thor with Angela?), in this case I have to admit they picked the right man for the job.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Oh so Captain America lost his "powers" er I mean his perfect non powered physical condition which just so happens to be stronger by several times than the strongest real world weight lifters. Oh are we back in the 90s again when Cap had this happen until the Red Skull gave him a blood transfusion or some such contrived storyline. Man I thought I outgrew the 90s. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.