What did you think of the technology change between TLA/LOK?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

What did you think of the technology change between TLA/LOK?

Post by Gurgeh »

So I would like to know form you guys, what is your opinion on the technology change between Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra? Did you like it, dislike it? What did you think?

For me I liked the change between ATLA and LOK. I think its interesting that Aangs world is one of the few worlds where technology evolves and advances.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: What did you think of the technology change between TLA/

Post by Zor »

I feel that it's good world building that fits in quite well and grows naturally with what had been established in A:TAS while avoiding the trap of medieval stasis which so much fantasy gets stuck into. The Fire Nation had been advancing technologically throughout the war, though had done so mainly for military purposes and was not leveled at the conclusion of the war. It's only logical that technology would continue to advance from there along more civilian lines. That and I love most of the art designs employed in the series, a good melding of East Asian and 1920s/30s aesthetics.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: What did you think of the technology change between TLA/

Post by LadyTevar »

I also thought that it was a great way to show how far Aang's world had moved on after the end of Sozen's Comet. The Bender Tribes were interconnected in a way they had never been, working and living together in one city. That city was a showplace to what could be done -- even if it had the normal problems of crime and gangs.

We do see that the Water Society was not as open to strangers, possibly due to where it was. It will be interesting to see if Fire Nation and Earth Nation are integrated.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet