Anyone catch the pilot for The Flash? (SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Anyone catch the pilot for The Flash? (SPOILERS)

Post by Batman »

So General Eiling enters the narrative, and as usual he's a massive dick. Barry can run up walls (to a point) and run on water. Not sure how maintaining his velocity on the downward leg prevents him going splat given he'd be massively slower in a freefall drop but oh well.
And how exactly would superstrength aid in catching the window washer? I mean yeah, good for Barry, no broken bones, but the guy's still dead from the rather significant deceleration.
Should I know who explodey girl is from the comics or is she a new character?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

She's the old DC comics villain Plastique, Quebec terrorist who is famed for using plastic explosives.

And now apparently a DC villain that Batman hasn't heard of, so she can win because of his lack of prep time. :wink:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Except I so far don't exist in that continuity so that's a moot point and at least for the time being she's kinda dead :)
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

mr friendly guy wrote:I am going to call it. I think Iris knows that Barry is the Flash as of the latest episode. I suspect she overheard the conversation between Barry and her dad. Her last line to Barry about giving him one last chance was her way to ask Barry to fess up.
Oh poor, innocent, naive, sweet, summer-child. This is The CW; they will draw out the 'drama' for as many episodes seasons as they can, far too early for her to know-know.

By the way; I really like this show, much better than that piece of crap that is Gotham.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Crown wrote:By the way; I really like this show, much better than that piece of crap that is Gotham.
I find this interesting. I feel while watching the Flash that I've seen it all before - that it has become Paint by Numbers already, this inane blogging subplot in particular.

In contrast, Gotham is a peek into a world we've not seen before, or maybe just because I've not watched many police shows that I haven't seen a show about an honest cop trying to navigate through an utterly corrupt city.
Spoiler
I also think the Barbara character is interesting as she creates a sense of risk - we know the main character of a TV show will not die, but girlfriend/fiance Barbara is refrigerator-bound. Threatening loved ones is a classic underworld tactic, and since Barbara is the future name of Gordon's future daughter, she is doomed. I don't think any of the Flash's sidekicks are ever going to be in danger, because this is Smallville Mk3.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So we now know that Barry's speed limit is essentially psychological (where have I seen that before?), and that was just plain mean, Detective West. Both times.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am going to make a guess that Dr Wells turns out to be the Reverse Flash (albeit a future version of the current Wells). The fact that Iris's boyfriend has a similar name to the Reverse Flash IMO is a red herring. From the latest episode
Spoiler
Doctor Wells takes a blood sample of someone who can steal some of the powers from the Flash. So I am guessing he manages to use this knowledge to synthesis that power and then steals some of Barry's. Maybe he creates the anti speed force.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

mr friendly guy wrote:I am going to make a guess that Dr Wells turns out to be the Reverse Flash (albeit a future version of the current Wells). The fact that Iris's boyfriend has a similar name to the Reverse Flash IMO is a red herring.
I'm going to make a guess that not only are you right, the show writers have been bludgeoning that into the audience's skulls for a while now.

They've shown us that Wells is obsessed with making Barry into the Flash because of something that happens in the future
They've told us that he arrived in town around the time Barry's mum died
They've shown the Reverse Flash intimidating Joe shortly after he confronts Wells about Barry's mum's death (COULD IT BE A COINCIDENCE?!)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Aand that cements it, 'Arrow/Flash' Oliver is definitely me painted green. Barry being (again) able to move people out of the way of pistol bullets already on their way before he ever showed up means that once more, him being limited to Mach 1 or thereabouts is hogwash, I definitely need to catch up on 'Arrow', and I also have no idea who 'glowy red eyes make people go crazy' villain was.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rainbow Raider.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am trying to think how Wells pulled that one off. My guess is that there are two Reverse Flashes who are in cahoots with each other (just like in the comic there was more than one reverse Flash), or Wells is aware of his future self (and vice versa) being the Reverse Flash.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Given the gizmo he attached to the Reverse Flash suit at the end of the episode I assumed that was actually the suit on autopilot (kinda like some of the Iron Man suits were capable of).

So...Mercury Labs, and Tina McGee is in, if not quite the person we remember from the comics. And I finally remembered why the name Ronnie Raymond sounded familiar. Kinda embarrassing that I needed the 'Firestorm' hint to make the connection.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

And they hired the original actress from the 1990s TV series.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

FaxModem1 wrote:And they hired the original actress from the 1990s TV series.
I thought I saw something where they hired Mark Hamill to play the Trickster again. He was one of the best parts of the 90's flash series.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ignoring the 'red and yellow electricity' idiocy for the moment-does this mean Barry will eventually travel back in time to try to save his mother, will there be 'another' Flash who tries to stop Yellow Suit Guy, or is Cisco just delusional?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Batman wrote:Ignoring the 'red and yellow electricity' idiocy for the moment-does this mean Barry will eventually travel back in time to try to save his mother, will there be 'another' Flash who tries to stop Yellow Suit Guy, or is Cisco just delusional?
Thats what I assumed. Barry will eventually travel back in time (probably where the Flash disappears headline comes from) and probably leads to an altered timeline where his mom never died and his dad never went to prison. Could be an interesting way to shake up the shows dynamic for a season while Barry struggles to adapt to this new world.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The Flash is back with "Revenge of the Rogues."

For shame, having Firestorm without Martin Stein.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Well, that was a fight scene full of stupid.

Barry is stupid for going for the guns canceling each other out. Instead of just moving in fast and disarming them too fast for them to react. Like he did to a mugger in a throwaway scene in a previous episode. But this is understandable, Barry being intelligent about using his speed is the only way to make a lot of villains a threat.

Snart is an idiot for letting the police know where he will be ahead of time. The police have guns. He has nothing that will stop a bullet. Before he got the cold gun, his only method for dealing with the police was to be gone by the time they showed up.

The police are stupid for not shooting at them.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Oh wait, Stein is mentioned.

Kind of have to agree about the fight, even if it was tons of fun to watch. And yeah, Barry was consistently moving slow enough for them to keep him away from each other, even though he was dodging bullets without a problem at the beginning of the episode and has only gotten faster since he broke the sound barrier for the first time, what, three episodes ago?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Definately the dumbest fight scene of the show. They could have at least put up some fire walls/ice barriers, and kept the police out of it. (Hello police, I am planning to kill a hostage, and a vigilante, and I will be at X location. Please don't have any snipers in place. Thanks!)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That Barry would be dumb was something we knew 50 years before the series' premiere ever aired (or should that be cabled these days?) but yeah, even for comics villains that was stupid. 'Hey, police department with shields that can stop our extremely short range technobabble guns! We're going to be at location X at time Y and there's nothing you can do to stop...why are my brains scattered all over the pavement 6 feet behind me?'
But then, the booby trap explosive they rigged for Caitlin not only took freaking forever to go off but also did virtually no damage so maybe Cold and Heatwave are just that incompetent.
Liked the scenes with Barry and Papa West at the West home though.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Okay even for superhero stuff that was stupid. Hearing radio waves is OK for Clark because let's face it, none of his powers work the way they realistically should anyway (and I'm using the term realistically loosely as it is-unsurprisingly), but Pied Piper's powers were otherwise consistently claimed to be sound based. No listening to Barry's radio communications, especially not in the way claimed (listening to what Barry says/what comes out of his earpiece-far-fetched and never established in the episode, but definitely compatible with sound powers. Listening in on the actual transmissions because you know the frequency? Yeah, no.)
The Speed Force is officially in the narrative, and there's no longer any doubt about Dr Wells being a Speedster and likely the Reverse Flash/Zoom.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

In case you missed it, those weren't his powers, he has no powers. The radio frequencies were something he picked up with the uber-hearing aid he developed that he later used the same technology to make the sonic technology. He's a regular joe like Captain Cold and Heatwave with advanced tech.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

It's comic book science. I don't expect it to have any relationship with real science, so I could accept someone with sound powers picking up radio. Though I don't see anything stopping Pied Piper building radio gear into his equipment, especially when his plan was always to go after the Flash.

Why did he get locked up at Star Labs ?
He's human. Remove his gear and the police can hold him.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Because the plot says so?

Honestly, with the way they're locking up people without arrest or trial, it seems like STAR labs is becoming the Guantanamo Bay of Central City.