Favourite fantasy moments.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Favourite fantasy moments.

Post by Iroscato »

Going back to my early childhood for a moment:
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - the ships comes close the island where dreams come true, and a very literal and very terrifying sense. Even as a kid I appreciated the subtle ambiguity of how to interpret the various character's descriptions of their dreams, leaving it mostly to the imagination.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Another Dresden one, not even Harry doing something awesome, just a great moment.
Cold Days wrote:What else did I have?

I might have done something extra stupid at that moment if the air hadn't filled with a massive sound. Two loud, horrible crunching sounds, followed by a single, short, clap of thunder. It repeated the sequence, again and again. Crunch, crunch, crack. Crunch, crunch, crack.

No, wait. I knew this song.

It was more like: stomp, stomp, clap. Stomp, stomp, clap.

What else did I have?

I had friends.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

FF4: Cain Highwind banishing himself in the last cutscene to resolve his ongoing emotional conflict.
FF6: Kefka's 8-bit laugh.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How could I forget 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes'? s1e23, Thor, after electrocuting all those IM suits Ultron took over which were about to kick the remaining Avengers' ass-
'Where.Is.Ultron.'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

How could I have forgotten?

There are two parts in the new Hobbit films that make me squeal with joy.

The first is Gandalf's arrival at Bag End and his word-play with Bilbo. My mother reading The Hobbit to me is one of my earliest memories, it's certainly the first book I ever read.

The second part... well the second film was utter shit that reeked of padding and lazy scripting. Except for Smaug. Smaug was fucking amazing, and was worth the price of admission alone.
Smaug... just Smaug. I'm terrified to watch the new movies because this scene was burned into my head as a child, I'm pretty sure I'll be let-down by a recreation.
I don't think CumberSmaug will let you down, though I can't make any promises for the rest of the film.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin