Black Powder or Flintlock fantasy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Black Powder or Flintlock fantasy

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok I have recently come across this subgenre of fantasy. As the name suggests, there are guns in these type of settings. Oh, and there is magic and how the magic holds up against guns makes this interesting.

So far the only author I have read is Django Wexler. His first book in a trilogy "The Thousand Names" kept me engrossed. The characters were reasonably 3 dimensional, and the antagonists clearly had their own agenda from the very first page. It main characters seem reminiscent of the British Empire type analogue in a Muslim analogue nation. However its not just British analogue nation attacks because of colonialism, its through the time honoured tradition of coming in to aid an ally excuse. We also witness how the characters have their own agenda in looking for relics containing magic. Oh, and the magic causes you to be possessed by spirits which give you superhuman power to resist people armed with guns.

Another one I am thinking of reading is Powder Mage trilogy by Brian Mclellan. Just reading the blurb makes me think of France during the time just preceding Napoleon, with the main nation of note overthrowing their monarchy and all that. Apparently in it, guns aren't just guns. There are mages who manipulate gunpowder which allows them to explode it, guide bullets around walls (take that Israeli corner shot gun). Plus there are the usual fantasy type mages with mystical shields and fireballs, but I get the impression they are outclassed by the new powder mages. I am seriously thinking of trying out this new author. The fact that he is Brandon Sanderson's student and has taken a nod from Sanderson's approach to innovative magical systems just adds to the appeal.

Anyone else read this subgenre of fantasy? Who would you recommend and what do you think of it compared traditional "high fantasy" with the hero going on a quest (Tolkien, Eddings), "Sword and sorcery" (Conan) and "Epic fantasy" (Robert Jordan, Steven Erikson etc).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Black Powder or Flintlock fantasy

Post by Crazedwraith »

There's the Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb. That's about a gunpowder civilisation coming into conflict with magical civilisations that they're trying to conquer. There's a real 'white man's burden' and native american analogue feel to it. There's not actually a lot of gun play in it though and the magic is all pretty subtle low key stuff. The magic side is using a lot of germ warfare and magic to affect the mood of settlements and things to try and get to leave.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I suppose Naomi Novik would also fit under this heading, although there is no magic as such. Her stories are set in the Napoleonic era, where all major world powers have dragons to supplement their guns and cannons. The dragons are presented as natural animals which had been domesticated in the West since Roman times and in the East since early Chinese imperial times. Overtime dragons have been bred to have certain traits.

I would prefer though to have fantasy where there is magic as well as guns.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

this also covers the warmachine universe, although they refer to it as 'full metal fantasy'
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Don't know if this counts, but if you're interested in firearms vs. magic, maybe try the Baen books crowd and 'Hell's Gate.'

It's about a war between vast multidimensional empires, one magic with many equivalents to modern technology, PDAs, video cameras. Plus dragons. The technology side is more pre-WW1, they've got bolt-action rifles, revolvers, two models of relatively primitive machine gun, steamships, trains. No concept of flight though. And psychic powers, but only a small percentage of the population have them, and it's more like one, maybe two talents.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Hell's Gate seems like a crossover or science fantasy. Flintlock fantasy seems to mainly be "second world" ie a world not Earth where they have their own cultures with guns. And magic. Naomi Novik most probably skirts this line as her novels are set in the Napoleonic era.

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series has the main characters developing black powder weapons and other technologically based items in a fantasy, D&D style world. It gives them an edge in later books but for the most part I don't think it is the focus of the books. It does push some magic users to come up with their own analog to black powder firearms.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.