You are in charge of Muggle Studies (RAR!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: You are in charge of Muggle Studies (RAR!)

Post by Ahriman238 »

Zixinus wrote:- Do we get a wand, other assorted necessary paraphernalia for living in the wizarding world and at least basic knowledge of how to use them? Because I won't get far teaching if I have to run to another teacher just to get rid of prank-hexes and other problems. I don't expect the students to challenge me to a duel or anything, but I can't do much of a job if I'm defenseless against even regular students.
Since the idea seems to be that they'd get a muggle to teach the subject, I'm thinking not.

- How good is that budget and can the wizard-money be used to convert it to regular money? Because if I can get an electric-room in the school where electricity and electronics work, one of my first steps would be to buy a bunch of used smartphones or even computers. Maybe even old gameboys that good students can get as rewards.
Budget's a question for the OP. We see people changing money at Gringotts and according to Rowling this happens at 5.5 pounds to the Galleon. Which is crazy if they're real gold coins described as being "the size of hubcaps" even allowing for a lot of exaggeration, I'm taking that to mean bigger than any coin in current usage.

I know after Rowling said that a lot of people speculated an infinite cash loop melting down galleons and selling the gold in the muggle world for hundreds of pounds, than turning around and buying more galleons. Of course, we don't know if the galleons are backed by the Ministry or Gringotts, but both have access to magic and good reason to discourage people from monkeying with the currency.

- Most important question: do we even get time to prepare? Or are we transported straight to our first day of teaching? Because teachers can build lesson-plans and such.
Up to the OP, I couldn't imagine dropping someone into a teaching job without at least a couple weeks of prep-time.

- Also, just how well will we know the existing muggle teaching material? What is the existing muggle material? What topics are covered?
At a minimum, government and basic technology. Honestly, the old Muggle Studies teacher got herself offed by Voldemort for being too good at her job and understanding of muggles. I don't know anything else about the quality of her class, but she seemed sincere enough in her beliefs.

I wouldn't even try to reveal the wizard world to the larger world. That will juts result in big bloodshed and nastiness for everyone involved. Call me a coward but I don't want to be killed instigating something that will likely get me just killed horribly?
Agreed. The wizards have what might charitably be termed a persecution complex, and the rest of us are unlikely to react in a calm, sensible manner to the revelation. Expect panic, serious magic-envy, and bible-thumpers proclaiming "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

And this is roughly what I'd try to get into their heads:
- The decision to separate to hide from the muggle world is a wizard's decision. It is something enforced by wizards, not by muggles*.
- Technology and magic are both humans using what they have to live.
- Muggles are just as much human beings as wizards. They merely live in a completely different world. They are the same species with the same kinds of people just living under different rules.
- Muggle society is changing and many muggles already suspect the existence of magic. Most muggles just don't find it and move on.
- Muggles are empowered and keep empowering themselves with new technology.

And yes, put the conclusion of "this game of hide-and-seek that wizards do can't go on forever". I need to get them to come to this conclusion by themselves. If they get it than you have a generation wondering what will happen not if the wizard world is discovered, but when and how.
What they need to realize is that it should be the wizard world that needs to slowly comes out of the shadows. Not now, not even in their generation, but still something that will happen in the future.
Sensible. How many people saw a car flying over London again? Not to mention various accidents of magic, mysterious deaths. Even Draco Malfoy, raised exclusively in the wizarding world, had a story in first year (almost certainly made up) of a daring aerial chase after he was flying on a broom and caught the attention of a helicopter.

I'd try to constantly but gently keep challenging my students in how they view the world and how the muggle worlds works. I need to expose and attack misconceptions with facts. They need also to be exposed to a muggle mindsets about the world.
You'd make an ok teacher, Zixie. At least you have your priorities straight.

Two side-projects:
- Experiment with magic to see how well would magic and more modern technology interact. See if we can make magic-friendly or even magical computers. I am sure that wizards would happily interact with the muggle world more if they feel they are still empowered in it.
The impression I got is that magic fries electric devices, everything else works fine. And that may just be Hogwarts, which is an ancient site where a lot of spell-slinging has been done over the years, protected by mysterious wards.

A question for other members: what would you bring your students for London for? Aside raw exposure to muggles, where would you bring them? Museums and such are nice, but you need your students to be exposed to how muggle technology works and how their world works. What would you pick? A technology expo? A mall? Ideally a place where they can try a lot of things for themselves (an arcade would be a good place) and interact muggles without preconceptions.
You may need to screen students carefully for those field trips. Malfoy managed to get himself sort-of mauled by a hippogriff by simply ignoring directions from his teacher.

* Do the books ever mention why wizards decided to create an entire secret world? Any actual history?
Hagrid says in the first book that muggles would constantly harass wizards for magic, and magical solutions to all their problems, which seems reasonable enough. Harry had a history assignment on medieval witch-burnings and how they were rarely a threat to real wizards and witches. Their government, the Wizengamot would seem to hold a clue. It's name recalls the Witangamot, the circle of King's advisors disbanded by William the Conqueror for refusing to confirm his claim to the throne. That would seem to date the separation to before, or shortly after, the time of the Conqueror.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

A note on the harry potter wiki pages I linked earlier, seeing as harry potter wiki has an awful canon policy (yes, that is lego harry potter in there), use these articles from the unknowable wiki instead, they have a much better canon policy and they cite their sources.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Necro.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs