Maleficient

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Maleficient

Post by mr friendly guy »

Saw the trailer for the first time in the cinema while watching Godzilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_9KvLutsA

Youtube has some trailers and reviews of the trailers.

This looks good and it seems to be in the vein of "revisionist" fiction. That is they take a villain and tell a story around it to make them not only more sympathetic, but ultimately good. For example Wicked or Oz the Great and Powerful where the wicked witch is shown in a more sympathetic light. The trailer and the wiki article makes Maleficient look like the victim.

I was pleasantly surprised that its due to be released in only a few weeks in Australia. This along with X-men days of future past is something I am going to see.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Maleficient

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

They've started advertising it here in the UK too, though I'm far more interested in seeing X-men. I'll probably wait for the reviews before making my decision- though Angelina Jolie is a big plus for me :mrgreen:
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Reinterpreting is fine, but I'm not a fan of them changing Maleficent's curse - she originally cursed Aurora to die, and the third gift of the Fairy Godmothers was to mitigate that to eternal sleep and the love's first kiss thing.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have been seeing the teasers for close to a year, they're all over Youtube. Each one has dropped more of the tale, and it makes me very happy that it's opening the 30th.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i'm really unsure on this - i hated the alice in wonderland remake, and wasn't impressed by that recent fairytale one either. (can't remember the name, it was a snow white rethink)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

madd0ct0r wrote:i'm really unsure on this - i hated the alice in wonderland remake, and wasn't impressed by that recent fairytale one either. (can't remember the name, it was a snow white rethink)
You mean the very very Tim Burton-ish one? I loved that! Though I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!