CW's Flash extended trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

CW's Flash extended trailer

Post by FaxModem1 »

Youtube

Looks like it'll be a fun series, and so this fall, it's looking like we'll have a total of three superhero shows on network TV.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: CW's Flash extended trailer

Post by Mr Bean »

Have to say wish I had not watched that. I feel like I've watched the first four episodes now because that trailer seems to take notes from the summer comedy genre of giving away the entire plot in one sitting.

Not saying I won't check it out but man... Trailers should tease me... get me interested... not make me feel as if I've watched the entire first season already.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I will be very interested to see how this is done. Super speed seems utterly opposed to any sense of drama or tension. It's the kind of power that, employed correctly could foil any plot. Heroes always need to do something to save the day and being able to do it faster seems like it could only help. It's the kind of power I would *never* let a PC have.

Like Bean I feel like I've just watched the season 2 intro that sums up season one.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Feel like I've watched a condensed version of the pilot, anyways.

The Flash has a lengthy comics history, a varied rogues gallery, not to mention his capabilities easily extend to time-travel and dimension-travel. So there are vast realms of story options. I'd love to see a television adaption of 'Flash of Two Worlds' for instance. How much of a threat the various rogues are... depends if we're going with the FTL Flash, really. But some of these guys, like Mirror Master or Abra Kadabra, are so bizarre it probably doesn't make much difference.

The special effects and the costume look great. Slightly disappointed the Weather Wizard has powers instead of technology, but it's a nitpick. More serious is them going with the Rebirth retcon wherein Zoom went back in time and murdered Barry's parents.

Haven't watched Arrow, was that a show bridge? And if so, was that show in continuity with Smallville?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm wondering if these shows going to be in the same continuity as the Batman vs Superman movie.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Ahriman238 wrote: Haven't watched Arrow, was that a show bridge? And if so, was that show in continuity with Smallville?
They had the storm that caused Flash's powers in Arrow. Doubt there was any Smallville continuity at all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Ahriman238 wrote:Haven't watched Arrow, was that a show bridge? And if so, was that show in continuity with Smallville?
This has nothing at all to do with Smallville, CW started an entirely new DC universe with Arrow, one that now extends to Flash, and may extend to Man of Steel, that one isn't really clear.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

As a fan of Arrow, ok I am sold. Flash is obviously going to be less dark than Arrow (although Oliver Queen is clearly trying to change that), so its going to have a different tone to Arrow.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Just reading about it on wiki and in a nice nod to the 90s series John Wesley Shipp is going to appear as Barry's father. Shipp who people might remember as the dad in Dawson's creek also played the Flash in the 1990 series.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

This looks good. I'm on the verge of starting Arrow and this gets me even more interested.
It also looks like a great start to getting a Justice League going sans Batman and Superman.

As to how much it shows, it looks like the first two episodes at the most. Origin, first villain, mission, other superhero.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

First thing that came to my mind was, "Batman". Bad man murders parents, son grows up, becomes detective, dons costume to hunt the murderer down.

That said, looks pretty neat. I'd like to see the first few episodes for sure and see how it turns out.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!