New Batman Suit Revealed/Teased

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

New Batman Suit Revealed/Teased

Post by Havok »

It's got a great Jim Lee feel to it (hell, it almost looks like they just straight said, do Jim Lee) and I am thankful they got the ear placement where I like.

All it's missing is the dial belt buckle. :D

Thoughts?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Batman Suit Revealed/Teased

Post by FaxModem1 »

Personally, I like the ears to be a bit bigger than that, if only because the muted ears seems a bit ridiculous when they're that tiny.

Though, I'm really digging the design on the Batmobile.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm curious what the "Abe Lincoln Joker" image is in the smoke. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It basically looks like a realisation of Frank Millar's worst drawing of him to me. But that's just the fucking huge batsymbol talking.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote:It basically looks like a realisation of Frank Millar's worst drawing of him to me. But that's just the fucking huge batsymbol talking.
I think it's barely visible unless you're looking for it. The whole point of Frank Miller Batman's chest symbol was to be brightly contrasting and draw fire towards the heavily armored part.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ralin wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:It basically looks like a realisation of Frank Millar's worst drawing of him to me. But that's just the fucking huge batsymbol talking.
I think it's barely visible unless you're looking for it. The whole point of Frank Miller Batman's chest symbol was to be brightly contrasting and draw fire towards the heavily armored part.
That was his explanation of the yellow batsymbol. For most of DKR Batman goes back to the original black on grey symbol with a massive oversized black bat. The big difference with this suit is that its black on black.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I like it. An older, thicker bruiser Bats as opposed to the (unrelated I know) younger, thinner ninja Bats that Bale showcased.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I knew that chin would look good in the cowl :lol:
I love this design, it's an amalgamation of the Arkham suit, DKR suit, and Jim Lee, probably the best comic interpretation. My only slight concern is they've gone back to a solid cowl rather than an articulated one, which might make turning his head awkward again. Other than that, looks awesome.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

Havok wrote:I'm curious what the "Abe Lincoln Joker" image is in the smoke. :lol:
I think it's just the tire and rim, combined with human nature to look for patterns.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Ears are too small, chest symbol is too big and moderately pointless due to being barely visible, and I don't think the picture is detailed enough to tell us much of anything about the cowl arrangement (or most other details of the suit, really). No opinion beyond 'isn't inevitably going to suck' at this point.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

NeoGoomba wrote:I like it. An older, thicker bruiser Bats as opposed to the (unrelated I know) younger, thinner ninja Bats that Bale showcased.
It does look like a version of Batman that was depicted in the comics years ago. I don't remember the issue (I think it was an Elseworlds) but it was an older more violent Batman. Affleck's look is almost dead on.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Enigma wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:I like it. An older, thicker bruiser Bats as opposed to the (unrelated I know) younger, thinner ninja Bats that Bale showcased.
It does look like a version of Batman that was depicted in the comics years ago. I don't remember the issue (I think it was an Elseworlds) but it was an older more violent Batman. Affleck's look is almost dead on.
The Dark Knight Returns.

I preferred the armored look from the Nolan movies and Arkham Origins. It just doesn't look like it'd provide him with much protection. I'm fine with the symbol, though.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Batman wrote:Ears are too small, chest symbol is too big and moderately pointless due to being barely visible, and I don't think the picture is detailed enough to tell us much of anything about the cowl arrangement (or most other details of the suit, really). No opinion beyond 'isn't inevitably going to suck' at this point.
I saw a color version, assuming it's not just someone making it color, it looked a bit more like the black back on grey.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Panzersharkcat wrote:
Enigma wrote:
The Dark Knight Returns.

I preferred the armored look from the Nolan movies and Arkham Origins. It just doesn't look like it'd provide him with much protection. I'm fine with the symbol, though.
Unless Affleck buffed way the hell up, I'm assuming that some of the muscles on that suit are intended as armor like the muscle suit Michael Keaton Batman. It could even be argued that appearing even bigger and more muscular than he really is could be part of Batman's scare tactics. It's not like crooks generally get a good look at him in a well lighted location.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Tsyroc wrote:
Batman wrote:Ears are too small, chest symbol is too big and moderately pointless due to being barely visible, and I don't think the picture is detailed enough to tell us much of anything about the cowl arrangement (or most other details of the suit, really). No opinion beyond 'isn't inevitably going to suck' at this point.
I saw a color version, assuming it's not just someone making it color, it looked a bit more like the black back on grey.
Have you got a link? The only colour versions I've seen so far are mock-ups, not the real deal.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So finally saw it.

It looks...alright, but just feels like a step backwards after the Nolan trilogy.

The TDK suit is still my favorite Bat suit, live-action or otherwise.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Chimaera wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:I saw a color version, assuming it's not just someone making it color, it looked a bit more like the black back on grey.
Have you got a link? The only colour versions I've seen so far are mock-ups, not the real deal.
The only place I've seen it is on facebook and the guy who posted it just said he found it online. Looking at the whole photo again I think it's just someone's mock-up version. Further down in the same post there's one that more clearly a mock-up.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Meh, not that excited about costume design, it dosen't look to be awe inspiring or terrifying, just bland, I'll see how it looks under a live trailer when that comes, but don't like the ears, too short IMO, if your going to put 'bat ears' on your mask you might as well get them noticed.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I will suspend judgment on the suit until a trailer or a better series of pictures.

As for the Batmobile, looks to me like they are going back to the Burton-era design.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

It doesn't look sports-carry enough for the Burton era. It looks like a cross between the monster car of Bale's trilogy and the sports cars of the previous four though.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

FaxModem1 wrote:Personally, I like the ears to be a bit bigger than that, if only because the muted ears seems a bit ridiculous when they're that tiny.

Though, I'm really digging the design on the Batmobile.
He's leaning forward, so the angle's bad. They might actually be bigger than that.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote:That was his explanation of the yellow batsymbol. For most of DKR Batman goes back to the original black on grey symbol with a massive oversized black bat. The big difference with this suit is that its black on black.
Ah. Been a long time since I read it.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I don't really understand why there are people so opposed to a batsuit that incorporates armor. Dude goes up against people with knives and generally only has his fists. If someone wants to stick a knife in you it's best to have something making that harder. It doesn't take a ton of armor to make it harder to get a knife in deep enough that it can save your ass. Hell, decent leather can make a big difference in how easy it is to hurt you.

Now, having him run around in something that'll stop a bullet consistently is pushing it some, simply because of weight. But something that will offer protection against knives is just smart.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually from what I understand making the suit knifeproof is actually harder than making it bulletproof, at least against handguns, because kevlar is a weave and will stop bullets okay enough (if not to the 'wearer can blithely ignore point-plank gunfire' extent often depicted in the media) but will let a blade slip in between the fibres.

And who said anything against batsuits incorporating armour? I 'love' batsuits incorporating armour. My only problem with those suits is DC won't let me wear them all the time.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: Now, having him run around in something that'll stop a bullet consistently is pushing it some, simply because of weight. But something that will offer protection against knives is just smart.
You can stop the bullet fairly consistently depending on the caliber and the weave of kevlar or other armor, but you can't exactly ignore it is the issue. Odds are you're getting the wind knocked out of you if not knocked over. I mean, the force from the bullet is going somewhere. It's why I've never liked their huge yellow SHOOT ME ON THE ARMOR HERE bat symbol and loved the fact that the latest movies have pretended it never existed. Much better to just stay mobile when you can't stay in the darkness.