New Batman Suit Revealed/Teased

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: New Batman Suit Revealed/Teased

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Batman wrote:Actually from what I understand making the suit knifeproof is actually harder than making it bulletproof, at least against handguns, because kevlar is a weave and will stop bullets okay enough (if not to the 'wearer can blithely ignore point-plank gunfire' extent often depicted in the media) but will let a blade slip in between the fibres.

And who said anything against batsuits incorporating armour? I 'love' batsuits incorporating armour. My only problem with those suits is DC won't let me wear them all the time.
I never said knifeproof, just resistant enough to make it harder to get something important. Yeah, kevlar is way less effective against knives. It's also pretty heavy. Properly treated leather is of some help against bullets but more help against knives. There's a reason that, historically speaking, leather armor was a thing. A good solid blow would probably still get through, but it could take a glancing blow or one that doesn't have quite enough power behind it and make it into something that'll simply bleed rather than reach something that will bleed more. Mostly what I would think of is tough leather (or similar) along the torso and maybe just padding around the limbs to give them some protection without too much extra weight.

And yeah, even if he's wearing something that'll stop the bullet from going into him doesn't mean it'll not hurt like hell and possibly take him out of a fight.

Either way, the idea of Batman running around in spandex to fight crime is just absurd. Only reason I mentioned the idea is I've seen people elsewhere crabbing about how "dumb" it is to have Bats where some form of armor. Because apparently he can dodge every knife that's en route to his kidneys.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: Either way, the idea of Batman running around in spandex to fight crime is just absurd. Only reason I mentioned the idea is I've seen people elsewhere crabbing about how "dumb" it is to have Bats where some form of armor. Because apparently he can dodge every knife that's en route to his kidneys.
There's a panel in TDKR where Bruce is speaking with Gordon on the phone, getting some massage treatment from Alfred after his first night fighting as Batman in 15 years. After this conversation, Alfred retrieves the costume from the washing machine and declares that he'll have to wear it wet. This doesn't sound like body armour to me.

I know that there's good reason for a guy with Bruce Wayne's night job to wear some form of protection, but there is some evidence that he doesn't always do so.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

DKR is also the comic book that explicitly show in the same issue that Batman does wear armour under that costume even if its not integrated into it. Could just be inserts, Alfred takes out before washing it.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:I don't really understand why there are people so opposed to a batsuit that incorporates armor. Dude goes up against people with knives and generally only has his fists. If someone wants to stick a knife in you it's best to have something making that harder. It doesn't take a ton of armor to make it harder to get a knife in deep enough that it can save your ass. Hell, decent leather can make a big difference in how easy it is to hurt you.

Now, having him run around in something that'll stop a bullet consistently is pushing it some, simply because of weight. But something that will offer protection against knives is just smart.
I have no problem with batman wearing armour. I just don't like it looking like armour. I'd prefer batman to have some kind of high-tech material which can stop bullets etc. but is still essentially a skintight suit. He's batman, he can do that. Two reasons: I don't like how it looks, and if batman adds muscle marks to the outside of his armour it just makes him seem really vain.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Agreed on the fake muscle, hence why I liked the 'Returns' suit better than the 'Batman' one. But while I've had my problems with the movie suits, them looking like body armour was never the problem. I'd have to be incredibly stupid not to wear body armour given my working environment (I'm incredibly stupid anyway because I apparently don't most of the time but you know what I mean) and I have no problem with it looking like body armour.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Batman wrote:Agreed on the fake muscle, hence why I liked the 'Returns' suit better than the 'Batman' one. But while I've had my problems with the movie suits, them looking like body armour was never the problem. I'd have to be incredibly stupid not to wear body armour given my working environment (I'm incredibly stupid anyway because I apparently don't most of the time but you know what I mean) and I have no problem with it looking like body armour.

For a long time it seemed like you were much more the detective that occasionally had to take a guy out, usually from a distance or the shadows. Now they have you being super bad ass hand to hand fighter taking on groups of guys at a time. No matter how good you are you better have some sort of protection if you are going to keep doing it for very long. Not to mention all the guys who like to shoot at you with guns these days. That was one of the things I liked about the Bale movies. His Batman had protection and still got f'd up on a regular basis and in the long term.

I think some of the comics had your cape and cowl being fairly protective while the rest of your suit was more like something a gymnast would wear in order to allow the maximum freedom of movement. Of course, acrobatics with that cowl and cape must be difficult.

I'm okay with how the Affleck suit looks. He looks like a big buff dude, you probably don't want to mess with, in some sort of woven protective suit. The Batman suit was probably kind of going for that but ended up looking more like a molded muscle suit than what Affleck is wearing.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Now' in this context meaning 'since the 1980s at the latest'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Batman wrote:'Now' in this context meaning 'since the 1980s at the latest'.
:) Pretty much. Although I do remember more of the books in the 80s being about the detective side of things.

Personally, I always thought the Timverse cartoons always had the best balance between Batman the bad ass, the detective, and well prepared smart guy.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

There's a reason I used to hide in the guy's drawer :P
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

So, if Bruce Wayne is that bulked out, how is his identity a secret one?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Because he isn't. Adding a lot of "fake muscle" padding/armor to your suit will have the convenient effect of being able to say "Me? Come on -just take a look at me and then at him! He's TWICE my size!"
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:So, if Bruce Wayne is that bulked out, how is his identity a secret one?
Referring to comics Batman, he really is that absurdly muscular. As for how he manages to keep his secret identity, well, having lots of muscle mass doesn't mean that you're a masked vigilante. I recall a few moments (when being examined by a physician who wasn't in on the secret) that he had quite a lot of scar tissue and healed fractures (which were passed off as an obsession with extreme sports, I think). For the rest, he has an excellent tailor. And he doesn't take his shirt off in public.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Man of Steel 2 officially titled 'Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice'.
It's a bit unwieldy, but certainly sets the tone. WB also released the finalised logo for the movie.
http://i.imgur.com/uRUJzQY.jpg
Thoughts?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Do they really have to do the cliché "heroes fight but then make up to fight greater evil" plot? Geez.

Also they pretty much stole the Superman/Batman World's Finest comic logo.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

RogueIce wrote:Do they really have to do the cliché "heroes fight but then make up to fight greater evil" plot? Geez.

Also they pretty much stole the Superman/Batman World's Finest comic logo.
Well...essentially they ARE adapting World's Finest, or at least using many elements from it, as well as The Dark Knight Returns. Makes sense to use a version of that logo as it perfectly represents the setup of the film.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SCRawl wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:So, if Bruce Wayne is that bulked out, how is his identity a secret one?
Referring to comics Batman, he really is that absurdly muscular. As for how he manages to keep his secret identity, well, having lots of muscle mass doesn't mean that you're a masked vigilante. I recall a few moments (when being examined by a physician who wasn't in on the secret) that he had quite a lot of scar tissue and healed fractures (which were passed off as an obsession with extreme sports, I think). For the rest, he has an excellent tailor. And he doesn't take his shirt off in public.
it also helps that IIRC few people get a good look at Batman and besides being tall and bulky isn't that destinctive looking and he acts differently when in the Bruce Wayne persona so people might not make the connection between 2 big guys that sort of look similar but act nothing like each other.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Tall and bulky covers about half the current WWE roster (and probably a goodly subset of the Gotham criminal population). I'd say the most risky telltale would be my voice, and I'm not sure that's all that bad either. Nevermind electronics already available, I'm not sure Bale's raspy antics from the trilogy wouldn't suffice. We can tell that Bruce Wayne's and Batman's voice are the same, because we already know they are the same person going in. I don't think somebody who doesn't (and likely never has met Bruce Wayne in person to begin with) is going to make that connection.
Modern facial recognition software may be a problem since I don't wear a full-face mask but without knowing how good the software available in the DCU is (because in the real world, it's, um, yea, no can do) that's essentially unanswerable.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

You'd be amazed how much a properly tailored suit will hide just what kind of physique a person has. Sure, people would be able to look at Bruce Wayne and go "Dude's pretty broad in the shoulders and chest..." but they wouldn't know that he's goddamn ripped under that $6000 suit.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.