Jareth's labyrinth in Middle Earth

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Jareth's labyrinth in Middle Earth

Post by FaxModem1 »

Due to a sort of cosmic mix-up, Jareth's labyrinth from the film Labyrinth appears right next to Saruman's tower right at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring, right after Bilbo's birthday party. What happens?

For perspective, this is before Sarah has even entered the labyrinth.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Re: Jareth's labyrinth in Middle Earth

Post by Darmalus »

Is Saruman's tower in the Labyrinth? Or are they just neighbors?

If neighbors, it's just a rather large detour to go around it to get to the tower.

If the tower is now inside... I'm not sure. Definitely a rather interesting obstacle to overcome. I wonder if the Goblin King will get along with Saruman when he decides to industrialize.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just neighbors.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I suspect the Labyrinth will quickly be over-run with orcs or uruks.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Some of the Guardians speak only the truth, some speak only in lies- oh wait, they're all dead. Guess it's academic now.

On the other hand, Saruman may lose a significant number of his force to the Labyrinth.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

How many goblins does Jareth have, anyways? I couldn't get a good count, based on my recollections of the movie.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Enough to be dramatic to a 16-year-old girl? The labyrinth seems kind of subjective, while Saruman's forces are all-too-real. I predict a strategy where Saruman assumes nobody will attempt to challenge him through the labyrinth unless they have to because of sheer pain-in-the-ass factor and sets up his forces flanking it accordingly (with a token force defending from that way because he's not stupid), providing a huge advantage to anyone who wants to attack Saruman and knows a good way through the labyrinth.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Ghetto Edit: And probably nobody knows a good way through the labyrinth like Jareth, which he would probably gladly provide to anybody hostile to Saruman if he is hostile to Saruman, in song form while wearing leather pants.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know.. I had started off writing a replay thinking the Labyrinth appeared next to SURON's tower and not Saruman's?
teach me to read a bit better :P

Ok so I foresee BAD THINGS happening…
The Goblin Labyrinth in the movie is a magical fairy world of sorts. There were few if ANY dangers there that could kill or harm.
It was made up of generally simple minded lackies of the Goblin King.
Jareth's Magic, such as it was, seemed largely illusionary. Used to twist the minds of others and enthrall them to his will. I cannot recall any instances of "destructive" magic used in the movie.

Saruman would no doubt send a few hundred orcs or so to Investigate. They'll end up slaughtering the more "neutral" denizens of the Labyrinth, while others will probably surrender and beg for mercy (most goblins were shown to be terrible cowards in the movie)
Jareth himself will most likely be "summoned" before Saruman and asked to serve him 'or else'. The Goblin King will either join forces (probably out of mischief, he seems the type) Or use some magic to vanish, and probably try and set up a new Labyrinth in some out of the way place of Middle Earth.

The outcome of "Time" will not change much… Weather The Goblin King joins or not, Saruman's forces will still be defeated at Helms Deep, and his castle will still be overrun by the Ents :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!