New Helicarriers in Battle of New York

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Helicarriers in Battle of New York

Post by Simon_Jester »

I wouldn't say it made the movie bad, or even that it was a bad scene. Just doesn't handle flak realistically.

Personally, I'd just have edited out the flak explosions and had (equally visually impressive) streams of tracer bullets blazing past; it would make perfect sense for the helicarriers' upward-mounted AA guns to be something like the real life Phalanx guns, which fire solid armor-piercing shot. In any case, those are a lot more likely to be a threat to big flying armored monsters or Iron Man suits or Norse gods than a proximity-fuzed shrapnel shell.

and those don't fire exploding shells.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Simon_Jester wrote:I wouldn't say it made the movie bad, or even that it was a bad scene. Just doesn't handle flak realistically.

Personally, I'd just have edited out the flak explosions and had (equally visually impressive) streams of tracer bullets blazing past; it would make perfect sense for the helicarriers' upward-mounted AA guns to be something like the real life Phalanx guns, which fire solid armor-piercing shot. In any case, those are a lot more likely to be a threat to big flying armored monsters or Iron Man suits or Norse gods than a proximity-fuzed shrapnel shell.

That's a much better idea and would allow for essentially the same scene with a little less suspension of disbelief for why he wasn't dead. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Tsyroc wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I wouldn't say it made the movie bad, or even that it was a bad scene. Just doesn't handle flak realistically.

That's a much better idea and would allow for essentially the same scene with a little less suspension of disbelief for why he wasn't dead. :)
I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering how Falcon didn't get shredded by all the shrapnel :D

This does make me wonder whether armour-piercing or high-explosive shells would be more effective against the leviathans- the open cockpits of the sleds means the only protection the riders have comes from their armour, owing to this it's reasonable to assume that flak is going to really hurt :lol: