Penny Dreadful

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Penny Dreadful

Post by Tsyroc »

The first episode of Penny Dreadful, the new Showtime gothic horror show is available in its entirety on their YouTube channel.

It stars Eva Green, Timothy Dalton and Josh Hartnett. I've seen it compared to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and as a bit of a mashup of literary characters it does seem similar in that regard but given the horror element its probably closer to some of the Kim Newman "Dracula" books.

I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Penny Dreadful

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Haven't seen it, yet, but have high hopes.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Good God, could these people be any more needlessly cryptic?

"Where are we going?"

"Among the dead" /spooky voice

Fuck you. Even better, the scene change reveals that "among the dead" means the British Museum.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

It seems to be doing a lot of set up. I sure hope the show gets moving in the next couple episodes
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

At least from the teasers I've seen they are introducing Dorian Grey and Billie Piper's character in the next episode. I guess the party at the Egyptologists' house will move the main story along with more information about the tattoos.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

The Pilot was a mess, but gets a lot better in the second episode. Hoping it stays like that and strays away from the pilot's style and writing.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Meest wrote:The Pilot was a mess, but gets a lot better in the second episode. Hoping it stays like that and strays away from the pilot's style and writing.
Interesting. IIRC the first two episodes have the same director.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sorry for the necro, but I just burned through the series and I got to say:

Season 2, Episode 3 "Nightcomers" is easily one of the best hours of TV I have watched. Easily on par with any GoT episode. The directing, the acting, the shots used by the cameramen...perfection.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I'm intrigued, but is this still available as full episodes? All I can see on the YouTube channel is brief clips.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

SpottedKitty wrote:I'm intrigued, but is this still available as full episodes? All I can see on the YouTube channel is brief clips.
Don't know, over here Netflix has them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Ah, I don't do Netflix. OK then.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

You can find them here, streaming or download, but you'll need to install a script or two to make the site work.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.