Trailer for Fox's 'Gotham'

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Trailer for Fox's 'Gotham'

Post by FaxModem1 »

Superhero Hype
The Trailer for Fox’s Gotham is Here!
Silas Lesnick May 05, 2014

The Gotham Trailer is Here!

The trailer for Fox's Batman-inspired "Gotham" has arrived, just hours after it was announced that the series is set for a full season order. Check it out in the player below!

"Gotham" is an origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told. From executive producer/writer Bruno Heller (“The Mentalist,” “Rome”), "Gotham" follows one cop's rise through a dangerously corrupt city teetering on the edge of evil and chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time.

"Gotham" is based upon characters published by DC Comics and is produced by Warner Bros. Television. Heller wrote the pilot, which will be directed and executive-produced by Emmy Award nominee Danny Cannon (the “CSI” series, “Nikita”).

Ben McKenzie, Sean Pertwee, Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Erin Richards, Donal Logue, Jada Pinkett Smith, David Mazouz and Camren Bicondova are set to star with the first episode expected to debut this fall.
Trailer is on page.

I'll admit, I'm curious as to how this show will work. It's going to be rather hard for them to do develop anything substantial if they can't stop any of the criminals that Batman will later stop. Unless they just have Jim Gordon eventually get rid of them all and make the Batman pointless.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: Trailer for Fox's 'Gotham'

Post by AniThyng »

Well there was GCPD and Gotham Central from the comics and they pulled it off?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So Smallville for Batman? This trailer looks good, so we'll see. But given this is airing on Fox, well, I don't hold much hope for it actually lasting, no matter how good it is. :(

Seriously Show Creators, stop shopping your good stuff to the network infamous for killing good shows for reasons largely of their own making.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Year One was pretty good, but Year Minus Twelve is not something I have any standing desire to watch. If I see it, it will be despite the Batman aspect, not because of it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think that's the point.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm just happy to see the Riddler.

Though I guess we'll know when they're desperate for ratings when we see the Joker.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Looks to be a decent enough cop show with some out-there elements at the very least. Apparently the show will indeed finish off with Bruce Wayne donning the cape and cowl, so unless it runs for a full 8-10 seasons I imagine time skips will come into play at some point.
Then again, it's on Fox, so enjoy the single season we do get before it's shitcanned folks! :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am not too familiar with the comics, are most of the Batman's villains older then him to the extent they can be real villains in this?
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I think they showed a couple of Batman's future villains as children as well, so I think they are going to come up with a few new ones just for the show.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Formless wrote:I think they showed a couple of Batman's future villains as children as well, so I think they are going to come up with a few new ones just for the show.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I hope they resist the urge to make the entire series be Jim Gordon vs. one of Batman's villains but slightly younger and different. The show seems like it will have the Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and the Riddler all involved to some degree, but I hope that they are largely tangential to the episode-to-episode plot (hell, I hope at least one of them is a good guy in the series, which would be a nice way to introduce a twist). Basically, I hope that this show either makes up villains for Gordon to go up against, or digs deep into the Batman D-list, with only occasional cameos from the regular Batman cast.

That would be the best way to do it, I think. Give the show enough originalish material to stand on its own, but keep it recognizably Batman. If the show just ends up being Gordon vs. Batman villains without Batman, it will just feel so hopelessly derivative. Also, it would sort of undermine the premise of Gotham being such a dangerous place if it turns out that even years before Batman all crime is still being perpetrated by the same 3 people.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I hope they resist the urge to make the entire series be Jim Gordon vs. one of Batman's villains but slightly younger and different. The show seems like it will have the Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and the Riddler all involved to some degree, but I hope that they are largely tangential to the episode-to-episode plot (hell, I hope at least one of them is a good guy in the series, which would be a nice way to introduce a twist). Basically, I hope that this show either makes up villains for Gordon to go up against, or digs deep into the Batman D-list, with only occasional cameos from the regular Batman cast.
It's why I prefer the Riddle is a snapped analyst angle. A brilliant freelancer with a mania for puzzles who the GCPD brings in from time to time who gradually slides towards the breaking point as others take credit for his work. Or corruption frees those he works hard to put away with the Batman being the breaking point that turns him against his own system.

The best Bats villains are some noble idea twisted onto itself.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Metahive wrote:
Formless wrote:I think they showed a couple of Batman's future villains as children as well, so I think they are going to come up with a few new ones just for the show.
What in the... fuck?

That's is perhaps the most horrible Batman thing I have ever seen, and I've seen Joker Batman slash(?) comics.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That's the thankfully cancelled before production animated series 'Gotham High' which would have been about me, my associates and my enemies all together in high school.
And while I'm unsurprisingly sceptical about 'Gotham', and while the information on the series is pretty thin so far, at this point I can't see anything saying this can't work. Time will tell.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The question will be whether they use the fact this is Gotham City and all that entails, or whether this will wind up being Police Drama #34215 Starring Jim Gordon.

Which I'm not saying they need to bring the Joker in by episode 2 or whatever, but use the fact this is a prequel and avoid the early meh-ness of Agents of SHIELD, because realistically I doubt FOX will give them as much leeway as AoS got.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Havok wrote:What in the... fuck?

That's is perhaps the most horrible Batman thing I have ever seen, and I've seen Joker Batman slash(?) comics.
It works to a certain twisted degree IMO, the characters fit quite neatly into different 'high school' archetypes (Wayne - Popular rich kid, Penguin - fat kid that gets picked on, Joker - class psycho that scares everyone), but boy am I glad it never got the green light.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)