Minas Tirith: Attack on Orc

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Minas Tirith: Attack on Orc

Post by Zor »

In this scenario, at the battle of Minas Tirith (movie version) a couple things have been altered.

The first of which is that outside of Minas Tirith there are several hundred solid 40 meter tall towers (6 meters at the base and 4 meters at the top) made of brick on a grid, spaced out about thirty meters from each other. This extends out about a kilometer and a half from the city itself.

The second is that the army of Gondor is replaced by an equal number of members of the Survey Corps from Attack on Titan each with 3D Maneuver Gear, at the same time an air compression facility has been set up inside the city. Every man who had a bow in Gondor's Army is replaced by someone who has a musket. Gandalf and Pippin are still present for all that's worth.

Can this force hold off the Armies of Mordor, or would it leave Minas Tirith more vulnerable?

Bonus Version ein: If the Survey Corps guys are too powerful, Aragon does not bring in the Ghosts at the end.
Bonus Version zwei: If the Survey Corps are too poor a choice, the Trebuchets are replaced with wall cannons
Bonus Version drei: If the Survey Corps are too poor a force of defenders even with the artillery, we add to their Ranks Eren Jaeger who can Titan shift.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Minas Tirith: Attack on Orc

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Zor wrote: Bonus Version ein: If the Survey Corps guys are too powerful, Aragon does not bring in the Ghosts at the end.
As portrayed in the movie, weren't the Ghosts essentially a one use deus-ex-machina that would have won the battle pretty much regardless of what else was going on? Certainly, the movie seemed to imply that they were practically unstoppable.

I don't have the slightest clue what Attacks on Titan is, so I can't really speak to this scenario at all other than that.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The guys with muskets are more useful.

Bear in mind that the Survey Corps has only 300 members at maximum, and 3D maneuver gear is designed for attacking targets 7-15m off the ground. If they tried to make any kind of impact on a formed unit of troops they'd just get entangled and die horribly (and dying horribly seems to be what they're best at anyway)

Eren might make a difference simply because of the speed with which titans regenerate and how unlikely it is that their weakness will be discovered. (If it were then it's not impossible he be brought down from the air by a nazgul.

(The army of ghosts in the movie was fucking stupid, in the book they don't even go to the Battle of the Pelennor, just clear out enemy ships docked at a river port which allows Aragorn to muster actual troops from southern Gondor, and it appears that their effect is the fear they cause rather than any actual physical attack).
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I don't have the slightest clue what Attacks on Titan is, so I can't really speak to this scenario at all other than that.
It's an anime series, and a damned good one. This is coming from someone who never touched anime before I watched AoT, and I HUGELY enjoyed it. Watch it. Now. :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

In my head there are two versions. In the anime version where the 3DMG works as intended and the characters can anime trope their way to victory, no problems.

In the live action version... I'm sorry I just can't see it functioning in any remotely useful way.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Attack on Titan isn't the sort of anime where you get victory, at best you don't get eaten today.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

It has been mentioned in other discussions that squads using 3d gear have been trained for anti people work. Those ones would probably help a lot more in this situation.

Really though this does add what is scientifically referred to as a metric shit-ton of defensive towers with an almost unstoppable resupply/escape method. The enemy would have to knock every single one of these over or risk highly mobile defenders retaking defensive positions within their lines at will.