What terrible films do you love/enjoy?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Re: What terrible films do you love/enjoy?

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

TheFeniX wrote:A lot of the Broken Lizard movies stand-out to me. Beerfest, Super Troopers, and the other one. I can't even remember the name and don't care to google it, but they're all on a tropical resort and someone starts killing everyone. I can watch any of them and get good laughs, but the critics abso-fucking-lutely hated them. Half-Baked is also up there. Thankfully, audiences seem to like them because they don't have a stick up their ass.
Club Dread is the movie you're thinking of. Personally, I didn't like it nearly as much as Beerfest or Super Troopers, but it still had its moments. There's also The Slammin' Salmon, which was as good as the rest of Broken Lizard's work from what I remember of it.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

TheFeniX wrote:Street Fighter gets a pass because Raul Julia is awesome and a great father.
Speaking of Raul Julia, I think mine is Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. We had a copy of that taped from the original showing and I couldn't get enough of it as a kid. When I recently learned that there was an MST3K episode for it, my first reaction was disbelief that anyone thought it was bad enough to make fun of. But I realize that it has been a long time since I've last seen it, so I'm sure I have a good chunk of childhood nostalgia driving that.

If I could find a copy now that didn't have Tom Servo and Crow talking over it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for that Tom Cruise movie Legend where Time Curry plays the Satan/Devil looking dude.

Also, Sniper, starring Tom Berenger and Billy Zane.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Strange. Page three and noone mentioned "Hackers"?

It's bad. Facepalming bad. But on the other hand, it's great fun to watch. The actors do have a ball on this movie.

HACK THE PLANET!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Or Flash Gordon.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

LaCroix wrote:It's bad. Facepalming bad. But on the other hand, it's great fun to watch. The actors do have a ball on this movie.
Hackers is in a weird spot. I hate it because it's "trace his firewall, and open the IP webs to catch his modem signal" levels of bad. If you know little to nothing about IT, it's a fun watch. If you do, it's jarring at times.

I liked Battlefield Earth, although it is hard to watch in one sitting. It has extremely poor pacing and cut-work. Scenes and plot-lines seem to come out of nowhere. Travolta goes full circle from bad to "I completely agree that John Travolta has become this poorly written and stupid alien because it's just that crazy." Whittaker can't seem to understand what's going on half the time. We've got cavemen learning how to fly Harriers. We have Harriers that somehow still function after centuries of storage. It's just. It's so bad, you can watch it as a comedy. My wife enjoys it is a stupid sci-fi movie, but to me it's almost "Scary Movie" levels of parody it's so bad.

Kull the Conquerer: It's just fun. Also, Tia Carrere makes everyone look like amatuers. She's way over-the-top and that's exactly what the movie needed.

The Scorpion King is when I realized The Rock is awesome. If you put Dwayne Johnson in almost anything, I'll think it's good. Doom combined him and Karl Urban: it was destined for greatness.

Chronicles of Riddick. I liked the Macbeth themes. I liked Diesel. Loved Karl Urban. Liked the setting. Even though the movie has a hard time coming together as one piece (which is hard to explain what I even mean by that), there's just enough going on that I think this movie gets way more hate than it deserves. People were expecting Pitch Black 2 and they didn't get that.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Hackers is in a weird spot. I hate it because it's "trace his firewall, and open the IP webs to catch his modem signal" levels of bad. If you know little to nothing about IT, it's a fun watch. If you do, it's jarring at times.
"It has a P5 chip - Triple the speed of a Pentium"

As if CPU speed makes a difference when using Telnet. :-P

Oh and the hacker using VR goggles to help him navigate the server database faster? Priceless!
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Borgholio wrote:
"It has a P5 chip - Triple the speed of a Pentium"

As if CPU speed makes a difference when using Telnet. :-P
And they continue about "RISC" (which is wrong for the chip), and PCI bus, which the Pentium already had, and then show it's actually a Macintosh (with completely different hardware) in their hands...
Oh and the hacker using VR goggles to help him navigate the server database faster? Priceless!
Yeah, Hackers do all in VR, didn't you know.

It's like the one episode of CSI(?) where they have two people using one keyboard together to hack faster... :D

http://hackertyper.com/ - HACK THE PLANET!!!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

"Detective, I'm 30-years old, I live with my mother and I have a Captain Kirk costume in my closet."
Which sums up the entire article. I'm 32, work my ass off, own a nice home, and am married. Probably why I can't beat the fucking speeder level of Battletoads.

Really though, TV shows are rife with this. Bones has some kind of super-hacker who can edit video to frame people and remove all trace of the edit, which would be next to impossible. He also finds a way to chisel computer code into a skeleton that infects a completely proprietary scanning system with a virus, said system being designed by a woman who started out as a very good 3D modeller. Her level of expertise in designing and building complex computer systems with holographic technology while bitching about making rent is hilarious. But Mr. super-hacker is literally a wizard (like, the Fantasy type conjuring results out of thin air) and why I can't watch those episodes. I can't find him to be a "threat" in the context of the show. I wouldn't have balked if they had pulled a mask off his face a la scooby doo and he turned out to be a terminator or something.

But "hackers" are presented in a much more positive light than gamers. A hacker dude might be dumpy, but he will be brilliant if not terrible with the ladies. Meanwhile, a female "hacker" will either be a slammin' hottie or "unconventially" beautiful. And in Hollywood, that means a solid 8 or 9 but dresses differently (than she should, obviously) or maybe she only spends 2 hours every morning getting dolled up instead of 4 hours.

But gamers? Games are easy. Forget that Super Mario Bros. is actually a difficult game most people couldn't beat to save their lives or that 2 was going to be so hard the Japanese wouldn't even release it in America: games are for kids, so must be easy, and any adult who plays them must be pathetic.

I think the only time I ever wasn't completely insulted by watching TV as a gamer was in an old Law and Order episode where some guy murdered a female gamer for reasons. For his alibi, he had coded a bot to play for him while he was out murderin'. They caught him because the gamer cop they had on staff (who managed to only be sort of weird) realized he was playing much more poorly than he should have been because he was that good at the game.

The girl was also a skilled player but being a female gamer: her vagina was the focus of many lonely gaming nerd's attention and she was murdered for suspected free-use of said vagina.