Bit of Lit: the Dresden Files

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Bit of Lit: the Dresden Files

Post by Ralin »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Got an early copy of Skin Game and it is AWESOME. Has anyone else read it yet?

I HATE YOU!!!

Also not reading this thread again until the 27th.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I just read the 5 Chapter preview on Jim Butcher's website. MUST HAVE THIS BOOK. NOW
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I got my Amazon pre-order shipping verification. I'm due to have it by 8pm Tuesday.

I got a free trial of Prime just to ensure release date delivery.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wait... what's this? Ghoul Goblin, another Dresden Novel? One I've never HEARD OF? ARGH!! It's Been Out since NOVEMBER and I'm only just NOW hearing about it??!?!!? :banghead:

And Nit says I can only buy ONE from Amazon!!!!! :finger:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Well, comic book. I've been waiting for it to be all combined. It apparently is?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, it's Hardcover now. All 6 issues in one, with some extra bonus material.

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

What the hell. Every time I think Butcher kinda has to level things out as far as adrenaline rushes are concerned he goes and does THAT?!

Sorry if that sounds like it belongs more in the venting thread, but I'll put something in spoiler tags when I actually finish the book.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Just got it on my Kindle. Commence the reading!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Another year till the next book? Agh.
(Hot jiggity that was fun !)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Butcher has perfected the art of hitting the afterburners in his stories. That man is scary.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

a) what does that even mean?

and

b) Can we go ahead and make a Skin Game Spoilers thread rather than make cryptic statements here please?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I probably would have been better off saying that Butcher's books are becoming more and more like roller coasters.

And a good idea.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I am satisfied with this latest offering. For now.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

The Romulan Republic wrote:One for Thomas and one for Murphy as I recall. I don't remember weather the story from Marcone's point of view is included in Side Jobs.

Edit: While we're on the subject of Dresden Files stuff other than the novels, what about the comic book prequel?
I have jungle.... It's kinda meh...

You can see it's dated because of how Dresden portrayed his escape from Justin.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Darth Yan wrote:There is another thing as well. The entire reason Arianna wanted Maggie was to get to him for killing Ortega. In essence, it was his own damn fault that Maggie was in danger. If he hadn't killed her husband Arianna probably wouldn't have given a shit about him. It's easy to say "you have to let the innocent die" when you aren't responsible for them being in danger. I like to think that when he realized Maggie was in danger because of his actions it would be selfish to let her die he chose to do it because of that. Also, the new status quo isn't restored. If I recall correctly there are various powers grappling for control in the aftermath, especially in South America where the Red Court was strongest
Actually, no.
Spoiler
The actual target for the ritual was not Harry, but Ebeneezer McCoy, Harry's Grandfather.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Eh. Modify his post slightly and he's got it. Find a father who won't go into overdrive if they're behaving even slightly naturally no matter even if they only just now discovered they have a child, much less one in danger.
Spoiler
As far as status quo. I'm still not sure that's restored. The folmor(or however you spell it) are still showing up everywhere with machine guns and trying to get themselves a legit territory.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As of Skin Game, the Fomor have made some gains in Territory. We also see that they're from under the sea, and probably Butcher's tribute to Lovecraftian Dagonites.

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

SAMAS wrote:
Darth Yan wrote:There is another thing as well. The entire reason Arianna wanted Maggie was to get to him for killing Ortega. In essence, it was his own damn fault that Maggie was in danger. If he hadn't killed her husband Arianna probably wouldn't have given a shit about him. It's easy to say "you have to let the innocent die" when you aren't responsible for them being in danger. I like to think that when he realized Maggie was in danger because of his actions it would be selfish to let her die he chose to do it because of that. Also, the new status quo isn't restored. If I recall correctly there are various powers grappling for control in the aftermath, especially in South America where the Red Court was strongest
Actually, no.
Spoiler
The actual target for the ritual was not Harry, but Ebeneezer McCoy, Harry's Grandfather.
I was referring to Spoiler
Ebeneezer. He killed Ortega to save Harry, Arianna was angered because she lost face as a result. I'm saying that McCoy realized that saying "you have to let the innocents get murdered" is callous when it's your fault the innocent are in danger. Arianna wanted Ebeneezer because he killed Ortega to save Harry from his wrath.
Needless to say the forums have a debate over whether Big Red or Arianna were members of the circle (I'm honestly inclined to suspect Big Red).
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Don't have a link handy (on my tablet), but word is Dresden Files was optioned for a movie. No guarantee it'll get made and the deal apparently doesn't give Butcher any creative control so it will probably suck, but at least now Butcher can afford more nice things.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Not related to the old TV Series then? Damn, they had some pretty good actors on that. Though it never really hit its stride.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Got Cold Days and Side Jobs for my birthday, going to read Cold Days first.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ralin wrote:Don't have a link handy (on my tablet), but word is Dresden Files was optioned for a movie. No guarantee it'll get made and the deal apparently doesn't give Butcher any creative control so it will probably suck, but at least now Butcher can afford more nice things.
I can't find anything with Google news.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The TV series did have one good thing going for it: the actor who played Harry: Paul Blackthorne. He had scruffiness, the goofiness, and is now my mental image when I read.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Ralin wrote:Don't have a link handy (on my tablet), but word is Dresden Files was optioned for a movie. No guarantee it'll get made and the deal apparently doesn't give Butcher any creative control so it will probably suck, but at least now Butcher can afford more nice things.
I can't find anything with Google news.
Apparently Butcher mentioned it in a Q&A. I haven't listened to it yet (I'll do that when I get home), but this is supposed to be a recording: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwdBBt ... sp=sharing
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I only saw some of the TV show and its been a long time since I watched it, but from what I recall Paul Blackthorne lacked a key trait: intensity. Dresden is portrayed as a terrifying force. I can't really see Blackthorne portraying that. There aren't a lot of actors I'm familiar with who I can see doing it. James Marsters and David Tennant (in his more wrathful and defiant scenes as the Doctor) come to mind, but they're both unsuitable to play Dresden.

Edit: I was replying to LadyTevar.