Bit of Lit: the Dresden Files

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Bit of Lit: the Dresden Files

Post by Ralin »

Steve wrote:I've been avoiding that series since, well, I'm not into Pokémon "gotta catch em all" stuff. But I've checked out book 1 from the library and I think I will see what it's like.
I've been meaning to read it for awhile. A friend of mine tells me it's better than Dresden in some ways, because Butcher is way better at writing shit getting blown up than detective stories.
I know he's doing a steampunkish airship setting now. Which is clearly unacceptable because I NEED MOAR DRESDEN RAAAAR!
What happened to the US Marshals in Space one he was talking about?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Ralin wrote: I've been meaning to read it for awhile. A friend of mine tells me it's better than Dresden in some ways, because Butcher is way better at writing shit getting blown up than detective stories.
Even Dresden's started taking on a 'shit getting blown up' style now that he's the Winter Knight. Pretty much ever since Changes. Cold Days is the one that kinda goes into the dirt of why.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Gaidin wrote:
Ralin wrote: I've been meaning to read it for awhile. A friend of mine tells me it's better than Dresden in some ways, because Butcher is way better at writing shit getting blown up than detective stories.
Even Dresden's started taking on a 'shit getting blown up' style now that he's the Winter Knight. Pretty much ever since Changes. Cold Days is the one that kinda goes into the dirt of why.
It had been growing for awhile. Though Skin Game and to a lesser extent Cold Days did have him consciously trying to think and plan ahead more.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Bear in mind that Codex Alera's central character is the polar opposite of Harry Dresden. He's intelligent, quick witted, observant, and moreover he's the only person in the entire world who isn't a wizard.

(PS: Despite the premise being Pokemon, it's actually more like Avatar with slight animistic qualities to the elemental manipulation, and even then the animistic view of the elements isn't universal)
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

Because Dresden doesn't have enough ka-booms. "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." When that's something you need to clarify, you might have a thing for explosions.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PKRudeBoy wrote:Because Dresden doesn't have enough ka-booms. "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault." When that's something you need to clarify, you might have a thing for explosions.
Hey, I haven't read Codex Alera, I'm just going off what I'm told.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Ralin wrote: Hey, I haven't read Codex Alera, I'm just going off what I'm told.
Well you kinda missed what I said. Sure, he's planning ahead more, great observation. I'm just not sure what that has to do with the series evolving from a PI series.