Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

Post by JME2 »

The other big tragedy about Superman Returns is that I wish Singer hadn't gone back to the campy Lex.

While there were dark points in Spacey's performance ("Now...fly."), I'd have loved to have seen him going full-on dark with Lex.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, people have a pretty good idea who Wonder Woman is. In principle she should be the third tentpole for DC Comics because she has almost as much name recognition as the Big Two, plus the unique draw of being the grandmother of all "strong female heroine" figures in comic book fiction.

Her main weakness as a movie character is that (like Thor) her background is so fantastic that it's hard to make a good standalone movie about her. That's already been discussed.

One of the first signs of DC really having their act together as moviemakers is likely to be a successful movie coming from Wonder Woman. Or... maybe one of a few others, Green Lantern or Flash being the only ones that come to mind. The 'big gun' characters who were if nothing else popularized by the DCAU.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Going by Man of Steel and Green Lantern I'd say that WB is so intimidated by the whole concept of super heroes that they forget that at their core all they are doing is making a story about a guy , a girl, a villain and maybe a mentor. (Which probably also explains why noone has touched a female lead movie.)

You need need a to have a leading man who the audience either identifies with or respects. A love interest who the audience also respects and a villain with a point.

GL failed on this and MoS nearly did but was saved by the supporting cast and strong third act.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

JME2 wrote:The other big tragedy about Superman Returns is that I wish Singer hadn't gone back to the campy Lex.

While there were dark points in Spacey's performance ("Now...fly."), I'd have loved to have seen him going full-on dark with Lex.

The tone of SR was also off. It was more like an epilogue to the Christopher Reeve movies than the start of a new series. More than one person told me they thought the movie was going to end with Superman dying and his kid -the new Superman -growing up in a Lex Luthor dominated world.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

xerex wrote:Going by Man of Steel and Green Lantern I'd say that WB is so intimidated by the whole concept of super heroes that they forget that at their core all they are doing is making a story about a guy , a girl, a villain and maybe a mentor. (Which probably also explains why noone has touched a female lead movie.)
A girl, a girl, a villain, and maybe a mentor. Done. The religious right will even help with the advertising costs.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It would be (by current US standards) extremely edgy, but very plausible to do this with Wonder Woman.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:It would be (by current US standards) extremely edgy, but very plausible to do this with Wonder Woman.
She's (more or less) officially not lesbian. There is Steve Trevor, after all, who has always been a pretty consistent part of her mythology. Granted there's the whole thing of she comes from an island with no men. I can see playing off a love triangle with her, Steve, and some chick (Artemis, perhaps?). Sort of a "you loved me back there, why not here too" kind of thing leading to a scorned-lover angle. Kind of starts stepping into fanfiction-quality territory there, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:It would be (by current US standards) extremely edgy, but very plausible to do this with Wonder Woman.
She's (more or less) officially not lesbian. There is Steve Trevor, after all, who has always been a pretty consistent part of her mythology.
Put this way: rewriting Wonder Woman as a lesbian would be very plausible. I can't think of a single A-list character in all of fiction who would be a more plausible candidate for a same-sex relationship. While in canon she is and has always been straight... well, if you were going to decide to write a lesbian superhero movie, and had artistic freedom to flip the orientation of the character, Wonder Woman would be a very obvious candidate to go with.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Something I remember about Greg Rucka's run was that he saw Diana as being bisexual.

It was only a brief bit during the first arc, but I remember it and agree it made sense given her background/upbringing.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh, I'm certainly not against the idea. It would be kind of cool if they could pull something like that off.

Unfortunately it goes against the generally established canon enough that half the fanboys (i.e., most of your initial audience) are going to scream bloody murder. The rest of it might be perfectly fine and a decent movie-- but OMG she's not with Steve!! FAIL!

Granted, when you look at it on an international scale, fanboys are something like .001% or less of the audience, so that might not be such a big deal. The geeks are often the most vocal, though.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Elheru Aran wrote:Oh, I'm certainly not against the idea. It would be kind of cool if they could pull something like that off.

Unfortunately it goes against the generally established canon enough that half the fanboys (i.e., most of your initial audience) are going to scream bloody murder. The rest of it might be perfectly fine and a decent movie-- but OMG she's not with Steve!! FAIL!
Do the fans care about Steve? I know that there's a lot of dislike for Superman/Wonder Woman, but the reasoning I heard was because it risks turning her into a Superman supporting character, not "Steve or bust!"
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I honestly don't know. If they don't, then it won't be an issue. It seems to me though that as a long established member of the WW canon making his status as "WW's love interest" irrelevant would be a quite striking change and would need some serious work. He was there basically from the start, after all; even the Nolanverse didn't mess *too* much with Batman's mythology.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

JME2 wrote:Something I remember about Greg Rucka's run was that he saw Diana as being bisexual.

It was only a brief bit during the first arc, but I remember it and agree it made sense given her background/upbringing.
That's pretty much been the assumption about her for many of the big name writers. After Greg, Gail Simone also hinted at the idea. Hell, Brian Azzarello has done a unique Wonder Woman so far, but even that version has the iconic line "I Love Everyone" which fits her perfectly. Gender would not be a barrier to her and who she cares about.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Elheru Aran wrote:I honestly don't know. If they don't, then it won't be an issue. It seems to me though that as a long established member of the WW canon making his status as "WW's love interest" irrelevant would be a quite striking change and would need some serious work. He was there basically from the start, after all; even the Nolanverse didn't mess *too* much with Batman's mythology.
Steve was WW's love interest in the Gold and Silver ages. The Post Crises DCU has had him with Etta Candy, WW's friend. Yes, really. Wonder Woman's love interests in the Post-Crisis DCU have been if I recall correctly:

Aquaman (Mostly flirty), Batman (sort-of-dated/dream machine "What If" adventures and that weird Blackests Knight tie-in), Rama Chandra (champion of the Hindu Gods taken from the Ramayana--forgetting the core reason behind that was Rama's love for Sita), Trevor Barnes (a UN official, killed after the writer who created him left because CHEAP DRAMA!) and Nemesis (Spy-hunter type guy, sort of foisted on by Editorial, mostly their to reveal Amazonian romance customs and to be the but of jokes).

And there were a few times where she and Superman had some intense moments: early on in the WW annual and in one rather huge/epic sub-story. Supes and WOndy are taken by the Norse Gods to fight Ragnarok with them for a thousand years (which is like a day on earth). During that time, they grow very close, Wondy offers, but even a thousand years later, Supes is still in love with Lois. All things considered it's very sweet.

Then there are many unrequited loves of Diana, the most notable of which is fellow amazon Io, the blacksmith. She was primarily in Rucka's run, as Diana's supporting cast often is completely overhauled by each subsequent writer, but also because Gail Simone (the next really solid writer for the character) viewed the Amazons as communal mothers for Diana, with her as their prized and only child, so one having falling in love with girl they raised was a bit too creepy in that mindset. There's also the subtext she has with Banah amazon Artemis.

Especially when Gail Simone was writing them in that Secret Six arc "Fresh Hell" (I think).
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

"Etta Candy" is a pretty terrible name...

Which Crisis was that, exactly? Infinite Earths, Infinite, Final?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Etta Candy was created in the 1940s. Characters did have silly names back then. And I was referring to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths back in the 80s.
Browncoat

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Also, I rather enjoy the Etta Candy and Steve Trevor romance, as it's written rather well, in my opinion, and doesn't make the character of Etta into a bonbon eating comic relief character but a dynamic woman who has strengths different than Diana's. It's why she's always chunky.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Rewatched the trailer, and I suddenly realized something. Those two prison guards processing the group? They've got Jack Kirby space circles on their chests, and they don't look at all out of place, and I didn't even notice them the first time.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Ahriman238 wrote:Rewatched the trailer, and I suddenly realized something. Those two prison guards processing the group? They've got Jack Kirby space circles on their chests, and they don't look at all out of place, and I didn't even notice them the first time.
They look to be part of the Nova Corps, just like Reilly and Serafinowicz.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

I am not sure a major Hollywood blockbuster could pull off a lesbian Wonder Woman without it being used for cheap tittilation purposes. After all, despite the now mainstream nature of superhero films, their number one major demographic is still oversexed teenage boys.

Marvel have certainty shown that they are willing to take more risks with their properties than DC - look at what they did with the Mandarin. Even if you hated it, it was a genuine unexpected twist to make Iron Man's (arguably) primary villian into a drunken buffoonish patsy.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Anyone else enjoying the design aesthetic of Knowhere from the new trailer?
Needs moar dakka
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Nobody knew who the fuck Jane Foster was, nor did they care or did it matter.

Thor comes to Earth, meets hot chick who is awesome, deals with daddy issues and becomes better person, beats the badguy with his new found humanity/humility/humbleness and wins over Earthlings, hot chick and daddy.

Wonder Woman comes to Earth, meets hot dude who is awesome, deals with mommy issues and becomes better person, beats the badguy with her new found humanity/humility/humbleness and wins over Earthlings, hot chick and mommy.

Thor and Wonder Woman are essentially the same character. Both are arrogant as fuck, feel they need to protect humanity, leave their homes against their parents wishes, fall in love with a human, have lame secret identities they never actually need to fucking use and are the 2nd biggest guns on their teams.

DC/WB could just essentially copy Thor and the movie would be successful as long as they Wonder Woman it up enough, don't fuck up the costume, drop enough fanboy nods (invisible jet, Linda Carter, etc.) and connect it to whatever Batman/Superman reboots are going on at the time.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I believe this is the new trailer MrDakka meant.

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I am still totally Digging this "Group of Losers" angle being giving off from the movie trailers. The classic 80's music and the cavalier attitude of the 'Guardians'. Also the more I see of Groot and Rocket, the less worried I am about them coming out ok in the movie.
Got to say WAY back when I first heard they were doing the movie I was REALLY worried about being able to pull Rocket off, know I cannot wait!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I am still totally Digging this "Group of Losers" angle being giving off from the movie trailers.
Indeed. I get a good vibe this is like a Marvel take on Farscape, escaped prisoners and all. I'm looking forward to a Peter Quill mix tape of my own.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle