Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

Post by Vendetta »

Havok wrote:Thor and Wonder Woman are essentially the same character. Both are arrogant as fuck, feel they need to protect humanity, leave their homes against their parents wishes, fall in love with a human, have lame secret identities they never actually need to fucking use and are the 2nd biggest guns on their teams.

DC/WB could just essentially copy Thor and the movie would be successful as long as they Wonder Woman it up enough, don't fuck up the costume, drop enough fanboy nods (invisible jet, Linda Carter, etc.) and connect it to whatever Batman/Superman reboots are going on at the time.
Sort of.

Movie Thor is kicked out of Asgard until he learns not to be a nobber but then is let back in, whereas the usual key point of Wonder Woman's backstory is that her mother values Themyscera's isolation and so won't let her leave but she wants to/feels that she needs to, and when she leaves she can't return.

I think the best way would be to copy Thor but with the roles reversed. Instead of Diana being a nobber and being kicked out you use Aresia/Fury from the DCAU. Some kind of misadventure establishes the relationship of the characters, Aresia is kicked out and causes shit in the rest of the world, taking the name Fury. Hippolyta doesn't give a fuck because not her problem any more, and Diana takes all her toys and leaves to stop her, with a confrontation with her mother establishing that she is also in exile now but chooses to give up her old life to Sort Shit Out.

But, y'know, DC don't have the balls to make a Wonder Woman movie, meanwhile here's a talking Raccoon with a gun.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Vendetta wrote:
But, y'know, DC don't have the balls to make a Wonder Woman movie, meanwhile here's a talking Raccoon with a gun.
A talking raccoon with a gun who adjusts himself in one of the trailers. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Tsyroc wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
A talking raccoon with a gun who adjusts himself in one of the trailers. :D
You beat me to it. :luv:
Rocket is going to be the wise-cracking potty-mouth of the group, you realized this, right?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Rocket is going to be the wise-cracking potty-mouth of the group, you realized this, right?
Yes, and we will love him for it.

Although from some of the interviews I've read, he'll have much more depth to him than that in the film, a wise choice on their part.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Havok wrote:Thor and Wonder Woman are essentially the same character. Both are arrogant as fuck, feel they need to protect humanity, leave their homes against their parents wishes, fall in love with a human, have lame secret identities they never actually need to fucking use and are the 2nd biggest guns on their teams.

DC/WB could just essentially copy Thor and the movie would be successful as long as they Wonder Woman it up enough, don't fuck up the costume, drop enough fanboy nods (invisible jet, Linda Carter, etc.) and connect it to whatever Batman/Superman reboots are going on at the time.
Actually, not really. Wonder Woman is . . . Amazon Jesus in every sense of that meaning.

First, she is an Amazon: a child of War and, to the Ancient Greeks, a monstrous inversion of the natural order to be conquered. Today, the iconography has be co-opted for Feminists and joined their iconography. Both of these things play into who she is.

Secondly, she's basically Jesus, in all the ways common people think of the character when it comes up. A divine emissary of peace and love. King of Kings, both Mortal and Divine. She heals, spits at injustice and leads.

This is evident in her rogues gallery, as the best of them fit into one category or the other. Some are monstrous women, others are of Greek myth and the rests that last are basically the enemies of Jesus (sans logical thought) -- tempters, the dark side of men, the Pharisees, etc.

I'm no authority on Thor, but I'm pretty sure he's not both of these things. I've seen a few stories that play up the whole God angle to work a good Jesus analogue, but he's definitely more Barbarian than Amazon.

Close, but not quite. Diana's more about Love than Thor, for another thing. While Thor, well . . . one of my favorite quotes from him is this "I am not the god of reason and understanding! I AM THE GOD OF THUNDER AND LIGHTNING!"

Diana, when she became a god, was the Goddess of Truth by contrast.

So the trappings may be similar, but the cores very different.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran