Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

Post by SylasGaunt »

Wasn't sure whether to put this in fantasy or sci-fi but since all the comic stuff seems to end up here..

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer up

Post by InsaneTD »

Looks awesome. Already organised with a friend to go and see it when it comes out.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I have no idea what the fuck marvel was thinking green lighting this but I'm fucking glad they did! :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Badass. This definitely looks like a lot of fun. Nothing like the original Guardians (Adam Warlock and crew, IIRC, but I'm sure Hav will be able to correct me on that), but this looks great.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Flagg wrote:I have no idea what the fuck marvel was thinking green lighting this but I'm fucking glad they did! :lol:
I know nothing about this. Zero. But know what I do know? I'm seeing this. It looks hilarious.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

For me, this still fails on the "Who are these guys?" part. I don't get why a team of Drax, Gamora, Groot, Rocket and Starlord are a thing.

What I mean is, with Firefly you've got Mal, Zoe (Mal's second in command and friend from the war) and Wash (Zoe's husband) and it's obvious why they stick together. If the Guardians of the Galaxy were Gamora, Drax (both vengeful victims of Thanos), Moondragon (Drax's daughter) and Phyla-vell (Moondragon's lover) I'd know why they stick together. There's a bit of chemistry shown between Rocket and Groot, but apart from that?
Freefall
Youngling

Post by Freefall »

The Cooler King wrote:Badass. This definitely looks like a lot of fun. Nothing like the original Guardians (Adam Warlock and crew, IIRC, but I'm sure Hav will be able to correct me on that), but this looks great.
Adam Warlock was part of the post-Annihilation reboot Guardians from a few years back. The original Guardians of the Galaxy were lead by Vance Astro/Major Victory, and included other characters you may have never heard of such as Yondu, Charlie 27, Starhawk, and others. They were from a distant alternate future where the Badoon had conquered practically everything. Basically, Avengers in the 30th century, except none of them were as interesting as the real Avengers. Also, their timeline kept getting screwed up. They also were responsible for the whole "Protege Saga," one of the most astoundingly poorly conceived and written story arcs in all of Marvel's history.

This movie looks like it is going to be another hit for Marvel, and is based on the current (and vastly superior) team of Guardians (although I do wish they had included Adam Warlock in the movie, but I guess he's technically been dead for a few years now).
Grumman wrote:For me, this still fails on the "Who are these guys?" part. I don't get why a team of Drax, Gamora, Groot, Rocket and Starlord are a thing.

What I mean is, with Firefly you've got Mal, Zoe (Mal's second in command and friend from the war) and Wash (Zoe's husband) and it's obvious why they stick together. If the Guardians of the Galaxy were Gamora, Drax (both vengeful victims of Thanos), Moondragon (Drax's daughter) and Phyla-vell (Moondragon's lover) I'd know why they stick together. There's a bit of chemistry shown between Rocket and Groot, but apart from that?
Just saw this. In the comics all of the characters you mention, plus a few others, are prominently involved in the Annihilation Conquest storyline. After that, Peter Quill felt that they should form a permanent team to help fight off any other large scale attacks against the universe/galaxy (it's comics; a lot of times the writers don't seem to quite grasp the true definition of "galaxy"). In order to facilitate this, he has Mantis, another team member, use low level telepathy on all of them to make them think it is a good idea. They are understandably upset when they find out about that part.

Unless they're planning on glossing over the entire Annihilation War and its follow up, I imagine the origin in the movie will be significantly simpler.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

For me, this still fails on the "Who are these guys?" part. I don't get why a team of Drax, Gamora, Groot, Rocket and Starlord are a thing.

Normally that's left to the movie to explain rather than a trailer.
I have no idea what the fuck marvel was thinking green lighting this but I'm fucking glad they did! :lol:
This. So much this. I have no idea what's going on, but I want to see more of it.

Also, man. Piemaker grew up.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Freefall wrote:
The Cooler King wrote:Badass. This definitely looks like a lot of fun. Nothing like the original Guardians (Adam Warlock and crew, IIRC, but I'm sure Hav will be able to correct me on that), but this looks great.
Adam Warlock was part of the post-Annihilation reboot Guardians from a few years back. The original Guardians of the Galaxy were lead by Vance Astro/Major Victory, and included other characters you may have never heard of such as Yondu, Charlie 27, Starhawk, and others. They were from a distant alternate future where the Badoon had conquered practically everything. Basically, Avengers in the 30th century, except none of them were as interesting as the real Avengers. Also, their timeline kept getting screwed up. They also were responsible for the whole "Protege Saga," one of the most astoundingly poorly conceived and written story arcs in all of Marvel's history.

This movie looks like it is going to be another hit for Marvel, and is based on the current (and vastly superior) team of Guardians (although I do wish they had included Adam Warlock in the movie, but I guess he's technically been dead for a few years now).
Grumman wrote:For me, this still fails on the "Who are these guys?" part. I don't get why a team of Drax, Gamora, Groot, Rocket and Starlord are a thing.

Just saw this. In the comics all of the characters you mention, plus a few others, are prominently involved in the Annihilation Conquest storyline. After that, Peter Quill felt that they should form a permanent team to help fight off any other large scale attacks against the universe/galaxy (it's comics; a lot of times the writers don't seem to quite grasp the true definition of "galaxy"). In order to facilitate this, he has Mantis, another team member, use low level telepathy on all of them to make them think it is a good idea. They are understandably upset when they find out about that part.

Unless they're planning on glossing over the entire Annihilation War and its follow up, I imagine the origin in the movie will be significantly simpler.

Yeah, for some reason, I had conflated Warlock's Infinity Watch with the Guardians. Yeah, I remember the originals. I remember the one race, "The Stark", who based their entire society on an old Iron Man armor (much like the Thermians did with the eponymous series in Galaxy Quest). I still have a few issues of the original Guardians somewhere, buried in long boxes, back when I picked up pretty much any comic I could find.

That said, I don't think they're going Annihilation, especially since that would entail bringing in Annihilus, Galactus, and other things that are likely part of the Fantastic Four over at Fox.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Alkaloid wrote:Normally that's left to the movie to explain rather than a trailer.
It's an adaptation, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have assumed that people who actually read the comic might have had more insight - that's why I went to the wikis looking for answers, after all. If it's meant to be out of character for them all (because mind control) that's quite different to what I was talking about. But in my opinion, that works better as a starting point than an ongoing thing.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

One would expect that there'll be an element of the team coming together in the movie, and that's not necessarily going to be the same as or similar to the comics.

Insight from the comics could lead you to understanding why it is these characters chosen (Star Lord is the human perspective character, Drax and Gamora are useful to the Thanos metaplot, and Rocket Raccoon has a personality).

I expect a story of them being thrown together by common cause and having to overcome differences to beat up some overall threat because that's what an ensemble movie is.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Looks like it will be a fun movie. Hopefully, it will be as good as the Avengers.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Only know of them through Infinity Gauntlet crossovers, never knew the comic had a swashbuckling theme to it, will be interesting. Wonder if there will only be small mention of Thanos with Nebula being in it, can't see them build him too much if the movie isn't that serious.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Knowing nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy, it strikes me as a mashup of Pulp Fiction and Star Wars, and that makes it look like a hoot.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Nova Corps have an... interesting look to them. Makes me wonder how much they're the guys in shiny outfits zooming around the galaxy and how much they're just space cops in this movie. I am also somewhat disappointed by the lack of Peter's trademark helmet (action figures don't appear to have it).

Groot, Rocket, and Drax are pretty much perfect, although Drax could be a little taller. I do have to wonder how the recording sessions for Vin Diesel went, though... a couple hours of Vin just repeating "I am Groot" in various tones?

Gamora isn't quite stripperiffic enough for my taste, but what the heck. Couldn't have gotten away with her traditional look in a PG-13 movie anyway.

Overall, not quite what I was expecting, but then I wasn't expecting much, and it looks like a whole bunch of good clean (ish) fun.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Given some of the exchanges between Drax and Nova/Quasar early in the Annihilation War arc, that comment about Drax being a bit short is... :lol:
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote: Gamora isn't quite stripperiffic enough for my taste, but what the heck. Couldn't have gotten away with her traditional look in a PG-13 movie anyway.
tbh if the pics I've seen were accurate her traditional looks isn't too revealing but even so I think there might have been an element of practicality from a filming POV at work after all more exposed skin means more time in a make-up chair for the actress.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Elheru Aran wrote:The Nova Corps have an... interesting look to them. Makes me wonder how much they're the guys in shiny outfits zooming around the galaxy and how much they're just space cops in this movie. I am also somewhat disappointed by the lack of Peter's trademark helmet (action figures don't appear to have it).

Groot, Rocket, and Drax are pretty much perfect, although Drax could be a little taller. I do have to wonder how the recording sessions for Vin Diesel went, though... a couple hours of Vin just repeating "I am Groot" in various tones?

Gamora isn't quite stripperiffic enough for my taste, but what the heck. Couldn't have gotten away with her traditional look in a PG-13 movie anyway.

Overall, not quite what I was expecting, but then I wasn't expecting much, and it looks like a whole bunch of good clean (ish) fun.

I was a bit worried about the look of the Nova Corps here, too, but it does seem like they're going the 'space cops' route. Also, Star-Lord does seem to have his helmet (you can see him wearing it, a quick glimpse, at about 2 minutes into the trailer). It's also in a display of weapons and props for the movie (http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/ ... g%3F9098e0).

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Meest wrote:Wonder if there will only be small mention of Thanos with Nebula being in it, can't see them build him too much if the movie isn't that serious.
Spoiler
Kevin Feige has confirmed he will be in the film.

I'm not surprised. Guardians is the odd duck out of Phase Two. The core Avengers' solo films will presumably feed into Age of Ultron in some way.

Guardians, by contrast, seems to be continuing the Thanos subplot in preparation for what's to come down the road.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I don't have the slightest idea what is going on. I have never heard of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" … so I go to Wikipedia. Now I am even more confused. I have no idea why there is a CGI raccoon, why John C. Reilly looks so smug, or why anything that happened in that trailer is happening. That said, it looks like they aren't taking themselves super seriously, so I will probably see it.

But, still, seriously, what the hell is going on?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I don't have the slightest idea what is going on. I have never heard of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" … so I go to Wikipedia. Now I am even more confused. I have no idea why there is a CGI raccoon, why John C. Reilly looks so smug, or why anything that happened in that trailer is happening. That said, it looks like they aren't taking themselves super seriously, so I will probably see it.

But, still, seriously, what the hell is going on?
Once upon a time there was an asshole astronaut named Peter. When the ISS (or Starcore, or some other MU space station I can't recall) was contacted by an alien who had chosen one of their members to receive the 'power' (mostly it's just a mild super-suit) of Starlord, Peter punches out the chosen one and takes the suit for himself. Eventually he falls in with some other outcasts and space heroes fighting Anihilus and later Thanos.

Rocket comes from a sort of interstellar insane asylum, where animals were genetically engineered for sentience (provolved) as companions, and he became a Ranger (cop) along with his now deceased partner Wal Rus (they were both based on Beatles songs.)

Groot is an alien plant monster. That's kind of it.

Gamora is the last of her species, an expert assassin and the adopted daughter of Thanos. Thanos himself is a Titan, from Titan (Saturn's moon) and one of the few survivors after he massacred the rest because he crushes on the anthropomorphized personification of death.

Drax the Destroyer is a human from Eath, like Starlord. Thanos killed his wife and children so Mentor (Thanos' father) transferred his mind into a superhuman body and gave him the power to sense wherever Thanos was in the universe.

Together, they fight crime.

See? Simple. Ish.

EDIT: I mostly know the Guardians from crossovers and have read maybe five comics from their title, so if I'm wrong on any particular, feel free to correct.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ahriman238 wrote: EDIT: I mostly know the Guardians from crossovers and have read maybe five comics from their title, so if I'm wrong on any particular, feel free to correct.
No, you largely have it for the most part.

If you want to get more specific, the current incarnation probably owes its existence to what remains of Adam Warlock's Infinity Watch-- Drax and Gamora specifically. They were fairly useless in their given purpose (protecting the Gems) if all the Infinity (something) stories are any indication, so they took up random super-heroing.

I still have no idea how they got stuck with Rocket, Groot, and Peter, but what the heck.

Bit of a shame that this movie apparently doesn't feature Cosmo the Russian psychic astronaut dog, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think one talking animal is enough for most audiences, and a talking dog would be better in a sequel, when people are already used to the world of it.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Warlock's origin is probably a film trilogy in and of itself. I doubt you could do it justice without Counter-Earth either, which would take even more explaining.

It'd be nice to see Nova, the Silver Surfer, and Beta Ray Bill too. But all of them are a.) kind of complicated for an ensemble flick and b.) so individually powerful it'd be hard to have the other Guardians as something other than backup as the REAL hero plows through the plot with unstoppable force. It could be done, they did it with the Avengers, but at the same time they probably don't want every movie to feel just like the Avengers.

I'm relatively pumped for this, the trailer gives a great idea for how serious they aren't taking this, particularly with the line-up and song. The beginning did disappoint a touch with how all sci-fi and particularly comic sci-fi movies are looking so alike these days, you can't tell me the place Starlord was breaking into didn't look straight out of the Dark World or Man of Steel.

Also, the first time I read a comic with Drax in it was a Captain Marvel story (Genis, not Mar-vell) where he was looking for the Hulk in the microverse and someone had set up Drax as a Hulk imposter. He looked and acted the part, dim-witted and an incredibly strong mountain of muscle. So for years and years this was what I thought Drax was like until a later Avengers/Guardians crossover where he was quite intelligent and reasonably strong, but had plenty of other powers and I later learned that was the true character and the 'Hulk' thing was just a phase the writers put him through.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

Ahriman238 wrote:It'd be nice to see Nova, the Silver Surfer, and Beta Ray Bill too.
Movie right to the Silver Surfer are probably tied up with the Fantastic Four rights at 20th Century Fox, so I don't think Marvel/Disney will be putting him in anything soon.
The beginning did disappoint a touch with how all sci-fi and particularly comic sci-fi movies are looking so alike these days, you can't tell me the place Starlord was breaking into didn't look straight out of the Dark World or Man of Steel.
I'm pretty sure that was on purpose—make it look nice and dark like every "serious" sci-fi/comic movie lately until they suddenly throw jokes at you. It was a mislead, at least on the trailer creator's part. We'll have to see if the movie is doing something similar with the look.