The LEGO Movie (spoilers covered)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

The LEGO Movie (spoilers covered)

Post by DesertFly »

Saw this with my girlfriend for Valentine's Day. I have to say, it is the best movie I've seen in theaters in a long time. The jokes were thick and funny, there were lots of "mythology" gags (if you can call shout-outs and call-backs to old Lego sets mythology), like the Octan Corp (the Octan tanker was the biggest set I had as a kid) and it has a Spoiler
surprisingly heartwarming twist at the end. There were plenty of hints that it was all in a kid's imagination (or was it?), but it was still fun to see Will Ferrell as the grumpy, order-obsessed dad who has a change of heart. I also especially liked the quick Star Wars cameo with Billy Dee Williams and Anthony Daniels!
All in all, I would highly recommend it to anyone who loved playing with Legos as a kid (or adult), and anyone who likes some good, lighthearted fun.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: The LEGO Movie (spoilers covered)

Post by PainRack »

I like to claim that the movie had something for every age group.

From kids to teenagers, adults with the movie gags and the throw back to nostalgia for the rest of us.

Also, could anyone squeal Sequel at the movie ending?

Also note: There is no coda at the end of the movie. However, staying behind to listen to alternative forms of the movie theme song and the full version of Darkness was epic:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Great movie, all round.
Spoiler
One critic gave the movie a thumbs down because she thought the story felt like the 'stream of consciousness of a ten-year old boy'. Hundreds of internet commenters yelled that she missed the point so badly that it was possible she hadn't actually watched the ending of the movie.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Wow I thought more people on this board would have seen this. The LEGO movie is easily up there with some of the best from Pixar and Dreamworks. This is one of those movies that is great for kids but twice as good for adults. There is a whole level the kids just don't get at all. The movie has so much going on in the background it is almost impossible to catch all the jokes, gags, and references in one viewing. This goes double if you are a fan of actual LEGO sets. I highly recommend watching this one even if you wait till its out on DVD. No, I am not just saying this because I am a die hard LEGO fan. :lol:
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Unfortunately the release date for Germany is April 10th... well, at least I can save some money for popcorn.
Middle Zealand has to wait seven more days though.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

it was extremely good. heavily reccomended as a film. cumpulsory if you spent as much time reading lego catalouges as i did.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Simply amazing, start to finish. Made me laugh, made me tear up.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Terralthra wrote:Simply amazing, start to finish. Made me laugh, made me tear up.
Pretty much this for me and my wife as well. I for one am glad to be alive in 2014, the Year of Chris Pratt.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I rather loved the film. I was finding the sound effects of something flying rather hilarious, and didn't realize it was foreshadowing until the third act.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

This was the first movie I've seen in 3D in a theater in 20 years, and I can now say without a doubt that I fucking hate 3D. Since 1994, the only 3D I've seen has been on demo unit 3D TV's in electronics stores, which I have found superfluous at best and nauseating at worst. I only saw the LEGO movie in 3D because the theater playing in my town can't fucking bother to easily indicate on their website which of their showings are 3D or 2D, so due to some confusion I ended up stuck having to pay more for what I consider an inferior experience, which really soured my mood. The 3D combined with the movie's animation style and numerous quick jump shots early on meant that I had a miserable migraine after about ten minutes and had to keep closing one eye.

I only mention all this because I think it's a testament to the film's quality that by the end I still left the theater with a big smile on my face. :D I liked how the jokes varied from cleverly subtle like how Lord Business gives epic, mythical names to common household items, to stupidly lowbrow like with the repeated utterances of "Honey, where are my pants?" I thought the crack in 80's Space Guy's helmet was a particularly nice touch. I had a lot of spaceman Lego's when I was a kid, a number of which had helmets cracked in the exact same spot.

I'm also a big fan of the directors' previous work with 21 Jump Street, and got a kick out of hearing Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill bickering as Superman and Green Lantern respectively. :lol:
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I only saw the movie recently and I agree with most everyone that it was definitely worth it. Dread Not was right about the 3d being superfluous, though.

I enjoyed it especially from an animator's perspective. It was all CG, but they rendered every action and motion into legos. The liquids were lego blocks, the fires were lego blocks, the explosions were lego blocks, even the blurs were built from lego blocks.

It probably could have been animated with stop motion, but it would have taken forever.

The closing stinger was perhaps my favorite part.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

some bits were stop motion, and other bits (like the sea) appeared to be, but might have been generated
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Majin Gojira wrote:
The closing stinger was perhaps my favorite part.
There was a stinger?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Sorry, I mean the last scene involving Spoiler
The Duplo Invasion.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As someone who liked his Generic '80s Space Guy Lego men so much he started sticking them in the nosecones of model rockets and launching them, I was glad when Spoiler
he finally got to build his spaceship. And it was AWESOME.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I gave my son my old 70's/80's Lego. After he saw the movie, he dug them out of the bottom of his Lego crate. He has been running around the house screaming "SPACESHIP!" since.