Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, I admit it. I have been impressed with Sanderson's writing after first hearing about the man when he was chosen to finish Robert Jordan's wheel of time series. I have read a few of his novels (WoT and non WoT novels) and so far I like what I see. The man is known for his elaborate magic systems (in fact he gives lectures on writing fantasy including how he sets up magical systems). His magical systems are something I like, that is they are structured in such a way that they have rules and implications which follow logically from those rules and characters who do so. This is to prevent stupid deus ex machina with magic or people who have such powers but don't seem to use them efficiently (for example the television series Charm).

Now his Reckoners series is for young adults and I am listening to the audio book of the first (and so far the only one released) novel Steelheart. I must say I am enjoying this. My 18 year old self would have loved it even more, but the first novel Steelheart is so far enjoyable even for adults. Apparently the plot has been auctioned by a studio and if it is made, I would strongly consider seeing it.

So shameless plugging away. The Reckoners is set on Earth after our world gets a new satellite which is called Calamity. So far its not 100% clear whether its an artificial satellite (that world's conspiracy theorists certainly seem to think either the US or EU put it up there) or a natural one, ie a comet or something that got caught in Earth's gravity.

One year later, people started developing super powers. These so called Epics aren't good. Its not a case of superheroes and supervillains, for the most part its only villains. From the wikia its stated that prolong use of the power corrupts them. Here we see Brandon Sanderson doing what he does with magic systems into superpowers. Epics can have their powers classified in various methods. Their powers have almost a mystic quality to them in the sense that each has a weakness, which either robs them of their abilities for short periods or just weakens them. Now reading on, some of the weaknesses make no sense from a scientific perspective. For example
Spoiler
Steelheart can shrug off rockets, bullets etc, but is vulnerable to milder attacks which will kill a human being if the person attacking him does not fear him.
Thus people on his wiki speculate that the powers of Epics are more magical rather than scientific in nature.

The main villain is Steelheart who has Superman esque powers and has made himself the ruler of Chicago, now renamed Newcago. The US government has pretty much loss control, and higher end epics are considered legally like a force of nature. So just as the law cannot ban floods, the law can't touch these Epics. As the years past, the US appears to be divided into little Fiefdoms ruled by Epics. The main protagonist is David, who is 18 years old (how else to appeal to the YA crowd) and is a bit geeky in the sense that he has collected information on the Epics since his dad was murdered by Steelheart.

David's notes has extensive knowledge on the capabilities of known Epics (Newcago has at least thousands of Epics) and speculation on their weaknesses. Now enter the aforementioned Reckoners. These are the only people trying to fight back against the Epics by luring them into a trap. Unfortunately they lack the means to take out the really high Epics like Steelheart. Ultimately this means that the resistance will be symbolic only. Enter David. As well as having notes on Steelheart, David has some knowledge buried in his head, knowledge which Steelheart tried his best to eradicate. David has seen Steelheart bleed. Its just not obvious why he has bled. If he can only convince the Reckoners to take on Steelheart.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I read this awhile back, also after hearing a lot about Brandon Sanderson, (but not having felt the urge to plow into a doorstep sized book of his).
I rather enjoyed it. It's far from Epic (Excuse the pun), but very readable, and reasonably good. Worth a read and fun.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.