What would have happened to Gotham?(Dark Knight Rises)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

What would have happened to Gotham?(Dark Knight Rises)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, first off, spoilers for the end of Dark Knight Rises.

There, that said, at the end of the film, Batman chooses to take the fusion bomb and have it detonate over the coastline. Just how badly would this have affected the city of Gotham, the Atlantic Ocean, and the wildlife and citizens of the East coast?

Would it have been better if Batman had simply destroyed Gotham?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: What would have happened to Gotham?(Dark Knight Rises)

Post by Tribble »

I'm assuming that anyone who happened to be looking in that direction should have been instantly blinded by the explosion, and I'd imagine that practically the whole city would be suffering from various levels radiation poisoning. Of course it goes without saying that Batman should have been totally vaporised.

What I want to know is how the fusion power plant was converted into a nuclear weapon. I'm not a physicist, but it's my understanding that the whole point of nuclear fusion is that it doesn't give off much radioactive material and that it isn't self-sustaining - unless energy is constantly applied in a very controlled fashion to the material the reaction would quickly cease. So the moment Bane ripped the reactor out of its housing, it should have killed off any reactions going on inside, no? Why would it turn into ticking time bomb?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

What I want to know is how the fusion power plant was converted into a nuclear weapon. I'm not a physicist, but it's my understanding that the whole point of nuclear fusion is that it doesn't give off much radioactive material and that it isn't self-sustaining - unless energy is constantly applied in a very controlled fashion to the material the reaction would quickly cease. So the moment Bane ripped the reactor out of its housing, it should have killed off any reactions going on inside, no? Why would it turn into ticking time bomb?
Wasn't that why he needed Dr Pavel? To actually *turn* it into a bomb, just disconnecting it presumably wouldn't have worked.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Yeah, only Dr Pavel knew the magic spell to turn it from a power plant into a bomb.

Anyway, it's a fusion bomb. As I remember it blew up in the air over the ocean where the remote-piloted bat-plane took it.

So.... nothing much other than some dead fish and broken windows. No significant fallout because fusion, blew up too far away for the fireball to hit anyone, radiation from the explosion was absorbed into the air to make the fireball, so none of that. Might have kicked up some waves and drowned some people.

So, probably some blinded and possibly deaf people who were looking the wrong way when it went off, maybe a few unlucky people were washed out to sea by the waves.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It was stated to be a 4 megaton neutron bomb, IIRC, so no long term fallout. As Darmalus said, anyone looking that way would probably be blind but there shouldn't any appreciable radioactive effects (and there clearly aren't, the city is still inhabited after the film).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.