"Frozen" talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Re: "Frozen" talkback

Post by Covenant »

I saw it and I'm a huge animation fan, and the animator in my game company, but I really didn't get the feel from this that it was anything amazing. Granted, the fact that there's two female characters and it's not a Perfect Virgin/Evil Queen dynamic is great, but it totally flew past all the buttons I was hoping it would push. Good movie but I wouldn't give it an A. B+ with a lot of heart but it fell flat for me in a few places, primarily narrative. I wasn't able to follow the story in an intellectual or emotional way, so it didn't ever connect. It's not like they were making terrible decisions, but I didn't know how they were Connecting A to B.

I didn't like Let It Go in the slightest either, which is a huge problem when you look at how central that moment is to the emotional arc. Not only did it not seem to make sense in the story progression (she didn't really seem to be letting it go much, it seemed like she "let it go" earlier when the whole world got frozen. This seems to be more "Let it build me a moderately sized ice fort" and not an explosion of many years of unspent emotion) but I didn't like the song at all. Tons of other people did, so I guess that's just a personal preference thing. I was also struck by how different the voices were between her normal voice and the singing voice, which is fine! It's fine! It just really told me "Hey look it's THAT SONG time!" and it didn't work for me. I was left waiting for her to really let it go, and when it finished, I was underwhelmed. I was expecting something like The Hulk throwing a major tantrum--some kind of huge blossoming of talent or whatever. I also didn't enjoy the song as a song, which is too bad. It seemed like the song wasn't as much about soaring Orchestral moments and more about this particular artist, but I didn't like her... so that didn't work for me either.

I was really expecting her to flee after just a little bit of ice-blasting, and then for the "let it go" moment to be what froze the world. Instead she froze everything way before! I don't know. It felt wrong to me. Because that didn't work for me, not the song or the scene or any of the payoff before or after that moment, the whole center of the movie fell out for me. The driving conflict regarding the sister also felt wrong:
Spoiler
Okay, so she got zapped with the ice blast and they had to take away her memories. Why? Even if I accept that, why can she never learn why her sister is taken away? Why can she never learn about the magic again? Is the magic shameful? I didn't get the message it was because, aside from accusations of Witchcraft everyone loved it when it was well controlled. The only thing I could figure is that I'm supposed to feel like she's ashamed of how she hurt her sister? They're both just kids though, so it never felt reasonable. The whole thing felt pretty stupid. Now, if the piece of ice on her heart was lodged there permanently and the only way she could keep it from growing was to hide those memories, then that makes sense... but that's not what it was!

The memory thing is never addressed again. It's just a plot device and it really frustrated me because there was no payoff for it. Because that was the main motivating problem between them it never felt reasonable, and thus I could never emotionally invest. The whole thing about "never tell her I can use magic!" never made any sense because the magic is not shameful, it's just dangerous. It's different if she never wanted to use magic again, the way someone might never drink again or use dangerous toys again if they hurt someone they love. But she wanted to use magic. She didn't seem worried about her magic hurting people, just of being seen without being able to control it. But we never see any other magic users for comparison, or really hear about any except mention of "born with or cursed" but if this is a curse then I have no idea why.

So to me I didn't really understand why this was ever a problem, it was never really paid off, and the Let It Go moment entirely tanked for me. It was certainly very pretty but I didn't feel anything or understand what the movie wanted me to feel, except happy that the sisters love each other. But they always loved each other. There was no conflict. It was just a nice twist ending.
Anyway, whatever. It's a fine movie, just not for me. I'm glad Disney is taking chances again. To me the emotional high-point was the "Do you want to build a Snowman?" song.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

You're not the only one who didn't like Let It Go, but we definitely seem to be in the minority. You may be hearing echos of when they planned to make Elsa the villain for most of the movie in the song, and I think the song would have had more impact in that version of the story.

Musically, the song just didn't feel to me like it tread any new ground. I can't pick out anything specific it reminded me of, but it felt uninspired and a bit...schmaltzy, maybe? Lyrically, I didn't feel any depth in the song. Here we have a young woman who has spent at least the last decade in fear of her powers, but now there's no sign of fear in letting loose, anger at having been held back, or even a little reluctance? At least Ms. Menzel could have added some in how she sung it. And "It's funny how some distance/Makes everything seem small" is a terrible line.

To add insult to injury, the song was a major earworm for me, so it kept getting stuck in my head while utterly failing to justify its presence there.
Spoiler
The trolls needed to take Anna's memory of the magic to save her life, but they never said that she had to be kept from finding out about it again. I think that Elsa and her parents keeping it from Anna was more because they decided to keep her abilities suppressed and secret from everyone who didn't know. But I was confused by the way it was presented, too. As for why it was her memories of magic that needed to go? I don't think there was anything beyond her needing the magic removed from in her head and her head being the place where she keeps her memory.

There were two other points in the movie I did not like: 1. The out-of-left-field cure for the winter—it was so quick it had no time to register before it was all over. 2. And Hans being a total bad guy—I don't think they earned it and it made his character far too simple. I would have much rather he been just ambitious and not really in love with Anna without planning on murdering everyone and taking over. It's not like trying for a political marriage would be out of character for the times.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Spoiler
I get the impression that every little thing the parents did: effectively quarantining Elsa, the gloves, the secrecy, were short term measures that sort of dragged on because they didn't have any better idea what to do. So they kept doing what was sort of working, that's a very easy trap to fall into. Likewise if Ana's memories were erased just for safety, they would have waited a while before coming clean with her again. And then things happen and there's never a good time and then they die from being parents in a Disney flick.

Because really, the long term effects of having both of their children grow up effectively alone would be horrifying to any parent.

I'm kind of fuzzier on the place sorcery has in this world. The troll leader's first question was "Born with the power? Or cursed?" While the Duke of Weaseltown called Elsa a monster the first time she froze anything and called on guards to stop her. And Ana had to deny being a sorceress and "monster" herself. Then once she controls it, yeah, everyone seems cool with it. The dialogue with the trolls at the beginning was stilted, but the impression I got was that the folks were a lot more worried about torch-and-pitchfork mobs showing up if Elsa couldn't get control of her powers than they were of her randomly freezing everything. Which doesn't exactly explain why the mobs would show up for an out-of-control sorcerous child, but leave her alone otherwise.

I do know in the earlier drafts of the script Arrendale was living under a prophecy (also from the trolls) of a Snow Queen and eternal winter/icy doom that could be stopped only by a "sword-sacrifice." If you presuppose the existence of this prophecy, the parents have a damn good reason for keeping everything related to Elsa's powers a secret.
I admit, having Elsa freeze everything doing her musical number would improved the film.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Huh!
Spoiler
The bit about the sword sacrifice and the prophecy really makes a lot more sense. If the parents are terrified that their kid will become the victim of violence that fulfills my requirement that it "be shameful or dangerous" to the point that the parents decide to lock their child into solitary confinement for, like, all of eternity. Because we see them telling her to learn to control it, but they never send her a tutor or help. They tell her to keep herself under control but that's all. Taking out that bit was a disaster of a narrative choice. Maybe it was cut for time, but honestly, there were other things that coulda' been cut if they could not abide people sitting in seats 20 seconds longer.

Sorcery seems fine here, so long as it doesn't kill you. I think we all agree that making it look dangerous is important, but I also wish they had a reason to try and "stop" her... because she's creating the ice accidentally, that's super clear. If they yelled out, "Cursed! The queen is cursed! Quick, seize her!" then she might have gotten scared, and when someone grabs her they freeze, and everything goes to shit. But, again... I don't know!

I don't want to say the movie sucks because it doesn't actually suck. And I really really wanted to like it. I had very much enjoyed Wreck it Ralph, and then got disappointed by Brave, but then I heard this one totally reinvented the princess movie and I was like "Good, Disney is taking risks and being smart!" and I talked it up to my fiancee.

She liked it but I just came away really disappointed, because the narrative didn't flow and didn't impact where I wanted it to.

I'm glad you can see my point about WHEN the ice-age begins, because I really felt like I was the only one out there on that. It didn't make bad, but I am stuck wondering how to feel about the ice powers in general. The only thing she really "let go" was worrying about stuff, it didn't make her responsible. The song could have been titled "YOLO" and it woulda' been the same. I don't feel that having her sing about "Don't care about how I impact other people any-moooore!" was what they were intending to do... but they hadn't established that she knew the world was frozen yet, and she didn't really DO anything. Because of that I really don't know. Maybe she was letting go of caring about other people?

I mean, I guess that works? It's a bit sad if that's what she was singing about, because it's obviously incorrect. The only thing I could personally equate it to was some kind of thing that scares people, so I was sucked out of the movie several times trying to understand what was being told to me. The movie itself made weak narrative sense, so I had to step back and think "Okay, so what's the meaning here?" and I couldn't find one, so I got entirely sucked out of the movie.

I wanted to find an analogy like emotions or hurt or something. The best I came up with was that the ice powers were an expression of "emotion" that didn't require the user to be acting like that. So we could see her being afraid while her ice powers lash out... but normally you just see someone being angry and lashing out, and have to figure out that them being afraid is what causes it. I thought, if this was their intent, that might be clever.
But the end screwed it up.
Spoiler
When she gets told her sister is dead, and the blizzard stops, my theory got entirely torpedoed. At that point I had no idea what it was that was making her ice go nuts. Was it fear? Sadness? Emotional closedness? Emotions? I have no idea. It seemed like the only message the movie wanted to give me was some kind of bullshit "be yourself and love who you are, but not if you're scary, then you're scary and I guess it's fucking bad to be you!" Because nobody ever said "It's okay to use magic!" They just kinda accepted it once it was under control. But they never told her it was amazing or great or part of what makes her awesome. They got dazzled by it at the end but she was still clearly not "one of them"... so I don't know. Unfortunate implications.

I would have also liked more time between the initial embarrassing "outing" of her powers where she runs off and then decides "eh, fuck it" and freezes the world... and the meeting up of her sister. That way she could have had some time to grow distant and enjoy being alone, or at least think she enjoys being alone. Then when her sister comes the ice and ice castle could feel less like a "safe place" and more like a prison keeping her in. That's the way people start down that path, afterall. They isolate themselves from the people that hurt them and then forget how to reach out at all. The "Heart of Ice" thing would make more sense then. But nobody here had an ice heart.

And I think if you went with my idea of "the ice powers are like the way a person behaves on the outside" as a kind of overt subconscious thing then we can avoid the "You've mean but you're really just lonely!" thing by having her not be mean, just be lonely, and not know how to stop being afraid. Her ice kingdom would be more The Wall and less Hakuna Matata.
Anyway, again, I didn't hate the film. I still say it's, probably, a B+. I would call it deeply flawed in the narrative, but only if you think about it. A lot of people aren't, or they just get the same kind of "be yourself" message without the unfortunate implications, and that's fine. I also give it a letter grade improvement for subverting so many of the ingrained Disney Princess stereotypes deftly, quickly, and wonderfully. So I'd call it a C+ movie on its own merits (especially if you imagine they did NOT have the princess subversions) that improves because some strong concepts in other places.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Argh, I had another thought. The song just... I swear it ruined the whole thing for me. Plus, I feel like I'm a person who spends a lot of his day correcting language before speaking to avoid setting off my stressed-out thesis writing fiancee, and thus my normally abrasive nature has been pretty buried... and thus when I was hoping for a bit of vicarious release, nothing! In fact, worse than nothing!
Spoiler
The song is also about "don't care what they say" etc, but like... again, nobody seems to hate on magic. The townsfolk are reasonable. It's not unreasonable for them not to want to be murdered by icicles, or for them not to want to be locked into a permanent winter. It's also not unreasonable for them to be concerned when someone creates ice everywhere she touches things. Nobody besides Mr. Weasel said anything about her being bad anyway. She just kinda freaked out and hid. Her parents were abusive but they also didn't... really have any screentime? The whole thing is a mess.

I mean, I'm glad she wants to feel free of the requirement to be a little miss perfect, but she's also going to be Queen, so that is a bit of a big job there. I can understand that being uncomfortable, but honestly, that's the sort of thing you do get trained to do, or should, with a modicum of respect. This reminded me of the exchange between Henry IV and Prince Hal, where his father was disappointed in the useless rogue he was. And for good reason!

I guess the song just felt self-indulgent. It wasn't about being yourself or being expressive. She talked about doing whatever she could do, but doing it alone, without people, all by herself and not caring. I know it sounds way too easy, but no wonder it's a theme-song for a lot of people right now, it's about throwing away responsibilities and expectations and setting up as queen of nobody and not caring about anyone else. Sure that sounds liberating, if you're a giant self-absorbed asshole.

For a long time I really felt like I had to keep myself contained, because I had a horrible temper and my brothers were little monsters, but I was 5 years older so they'd take a swing at me and I'd have to just shrug it off because if I did anything I could seriously hurt them. I'm also grouchy still, and enjoy nothing more than my private time to work, and I've got little patience overall... so I have to hold back my acid when someone is nagging--ahem--asking me for some help. I have to remind myself that it's a good thing to be wanted and respected, not a bad thing. I had to do it right then. I'm stuck--AGH--I'm helping my fiancee with her thesis and her school here, despite being really stressed about my own work. I've got a lot of projects and I'll pull all-nighters to help her out, but it wears me down. She knows that, and it's a real struggle for me, but I know that it's entirely within my power not to be a greedy ass and I know if I was it would only feel good for a little bit before I got guilty about not doing a bit of heavy lifting for other people. If I can there's no reason I shouldn't.

So I kinda think I have an understanding of what it feels like to be all balled up. People tell you to be patient, to give, not to judge, not to criticize, all that stuff. But you can only take it for so long, and when you're on your third day with low sleep because you have a real job and you're doing what you can to help someone with their thesis because they won't just suck it up and stop letting their emotions derail them... I feel like the Let It Go moment would be nice, but it would also be such a self-indulgent piece of horsecrap. Boo hoo! You're blessed with magic! You need to learn how to control it! You need to learn how to be the Queen so you can live in the castle and never want for anything! Boo hoo! You have a terrible burden to be a good ruler so that everyone else's lives are going to improve! Poor you!

So to me if she was being unfairly held back, I would get it. But they didn't really do it like that, and to me it just felt stupid. Plus it wasn't even a terribly cathartic explosion of pent up "I want to do what I want" stuff. She build her snowman... okay. I wish she would have been seeing Ana take dancing lessons, go skating, playing games, meeting boys, etc, so she could finally EXPLODE and make an ice kingdom where she does everything she wants without the nagging voice of her parents in her head. But then I want to see how hollow that is. The whole thing being compressed, and entirely sanitized, makes her look just whiny.

Anyway, that's what I was reading into it. Maybe she's just not as emotional as the thinks she is? But she talks about this blizzard inside her and yet we never see her really do anything. She makes a bridge, a snowman, a little castle, and a pretty dress.

I think the progressiveness of the movie undercut the kind of feminist freedom that the moment needed. They don't do a corseting scene, her sister only has to do a moderate little ceremony. She's a good queen, with some good social skills. She and her sister were "warming up" after being so far apart.

I dunno. It could have gone so many ways, I just feel like it went nowhere. She went up the mountain and had her little happy song. It wasn't even a tantrum. Then she's fine. She's worried about hurting people but ASIDE FROM THE ICE AGE there's nothing about her that's dangerous or anything. The weather on top of the mountain was ALREADY SNOWY AND WINDY. IT'S A MOUNTAIN, DUMMY. So before she even "let it go" it "went" and froze everything. Letting it go did nothing. So we see no real evidence that she's creating this huge blizzard until the end when she's locked up, then escapes, then it goes away again? I mean... argh.

Argh!

I'm so confused and disappointed! And upset!

Anyway, I have major issues with this song/scene. Excise that and just have her run away and I feel like it might be a stronger film. Especially if I did a bit of creative editing and had the ice age hit when she escaped.
I really didn't hate the movie though!
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

The film definitely would have been improved with a "Everyone hates magic" background on display. I also agree that however much I like "Let It Go", it really doesn't hold up in the narrative. My understanding is that it was written for the "Elsa is a villain" plot but since the song was so up beat the producers/director or whoever made them change the story so Elsa is not a villain. Since the song was written for a different story it's understanding that it doesn't fit quite right.
Image[
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

For your amusement,
Spoiler
The full text version of the prophecy goes:

Your future is bleak/your kingdom will splinter/your land shall be cursed/with unending winter
With blasts of cold/will come a dark art/and a ruler/with a frozen heart
Then all will perish/in snow and ice/unless you are freed/with a sword-sacrifice!

... Probably from the very beginning, when Elsa was going to be the villain. I've heard conflicting stories.

My take on Elsa's powers is this. She had zero problems as a kid until the one night she slips and someone precious to her gets hurt. Essentially, the time she learned to be afraid of her powers, or hurting anyone else. After that, all of her uncontrolled icing is a result of fear. Fear of discovery, fear of human contact, fear for everyone around her. Once she decides 'screw it' she shows remarkable control, she made the ice palace and handled herself just fine in the only major fight scene of the film, and again didn't do much accidental freezing until Ana comes and she's once again afraid of hurting her only remaining family. Oh, and learning that she unintentionally froze over Arrendale.

Seriously, I sympathize so much for Elsa when she sort of spazzes out from the stress. And with Ana's inability to tell when to push and when to back off.

As for the blizzard at the end. It formed because she was in a cell, in a city she reasonably expected would be destroyed by her presence in it. When she heard Ana died a lot of the snow in the air drops instantly to the ground, and some of it is frozen midair. We actually see this exact thing earlier in the movie, when their parents died and Elsa was huddled in her frozen room with hovering snowflakes. I accept it because that pretty well mirrors how I've felt every time I had a family member die, like the world stopped.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

As to the song, one or likely both of us are guilty of projecting our preconceptions on it.

You expect catharsis, a violent outpouring of years of repressed emotion. I see a young woman accepting herself after years of living in fear and playing with childlike glee.

You see the song as a call to totally abandon all responsibility or concern for others and live like a sociopath. I see the same "be yourself, whatever others want you to be" message from every children's story. Yes it gets said a lot, but there's a reason for that, peer pressure is a powerful thing.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

if it's a message for young children then it seems to encourage them to flip out, stop trying to "be good," and run away from home in order to avoid contact with your family. Family friendly?

If this song was in a different movie, or maybe even in a different place in this movie, I think I'd have an easier time accepting that interpretation. As it stands, within the narrative web of events up to that point, and the events we just saw previously in the film, I see maybe a bit of tiny personal acceptance that has no real antecedent nor does it stick around for more than a milisecond once she encounters her sister again. What good is a "be yourself" message if the character is showing she can only be herself when she's alone. I just bought Frozen for my fiancee because she's squeeing for a second (third, fourth...) watching of the movie so I'll have time to try over with the film and see what I think.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

At the end, she's being herself in her own courtyard with the entire kingdom celebrating, so I don't think the movie is saying you can only be yourself if you're alone.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I would agree, but that hadn't happened by the time of the song. The song is also a different message from the ending. She sings about not needing anyone else, but that is demonstrably false, as the ending acts establish that what really helps everything is love and family and trust. The "Let It Go" song isn't about that, it's about running off alone.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

I found this recently. I don't agree with all of its points, but I do like how it is very concrete in its analysis.

I've been thinking about the movie some more—not helped by the kids playing it all the time on the Blu-ray. I actually agree with Covenant that it isn't a bad movie. But I think that the flaws stand out to me because they occupy such important points of the movie. The bits I've mentioned all occur right at key transitions of the movie, so they stand out.
Ahriman238 wrote:As to the song, one or likely both of us are guilty of projecting our preconceptions on it.

You expect catharsis, a violent outpouring of years of repressed emotion. I see a young woman accepting herself after years of living in fear and playing with childlike glee.

You see the song as a call to totally abandon all responsibility or concern for others and live like a sociopath. I see the same "be yourself, whatever others want you to be" message from every children's story. Yes it gets said a lot, but there's a reason for that, peer pressure is a powerful thing.
A song that says "be yourself, whatever others want you to be" without qualification while the character is actually running off and isolating themselves from everyone she cares about has the implication that one should "abandon all responsibility or concern for others and live like a sociopath". And that's the problem: The song doesn't fit into the overall narrative properly.
Spoiler
At this point, Elsa has chosen to no longer hold back her abilities, but she's also abandoning her responsibilities, her only family, and any human connection. She's freezing her heart metaphorically just like Anna's is later, literally. And she only feels free of fear in letting go because there are no people around she has to worry about hurting accidentally. Emotionally, the song supports none of that. It should be seeding this undercurrent that she isn't really solving her problems, only running away from them.

The problem with Hans' turn is that it completely conflicts with the character as already established. There are a few very slight hints that he isn't wholly on the up-and-up—ones that are hard to pick up even on repeated viewings—but nothing that indicates the level of villainy required to murder his way into power. What this does establish is that is manipulative, cautious, and a good actor. So why does he suddenly abandon that to go all Bond-villain on Anna, not only explaining his plan completely to her but leaving her to die—or be rescued or at least found by someone soon enough that she can reveal his plot? It would have been much more in character for him to just kiss her, act shocked that it wasn't enough, and maybe even manipulate her into thinking that only a kiss of marriage would be sufficiently meaningful to cure her.

Another flaw with the way he handled that is that it required him to claim that he and Anna married each other with no witnesses, and I just don't buy that this would be accepted for a royal marriage. They just demonstrated that they had a strong enough ceremonial tradition for Elsa's coronation that, despite her desperately wanting to avoid people in the castle or touching anything with her bare hands, she still had to do just that. Why would it be so much different for a marriage?

There's also the question of why he saved Elsa in the fight in the ice castle. It would have played perfectly into his plan to have her die when the Weselton guard shot her with the crossbow with him just not quick enough to save her. He could have gone back angry over the treachery to comfort the grieving Anna, married her, and taken her out later. (Assuming she didn't die first, but he had no idea that was a concern at the time.)

Finally, there's the way Elsa just ended the storm. I think the problem I have with it is that up to that point the storm reflected her inner emotional state and her connection to others. As I said earlier, her heart is metaphorically frozen. This is also reflected by how the ice castle—another of her major ice creations—acts when her emotions start to break down earlier in the film. So why does she have to make an intellectual realization that love is the cure for the storm to get rid of it? It should have been an emotional revelation where the ice of the frozen lake begins to crack as she grieves over her sister's frozen form, and the ice really starts to melt away as she rejoices at Anna recovering due to her own act of true love. It's would be a very slight change, but would be much truer to the themes of the movie.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

... I don't think so. She may have originally run off in panic, but after climbing a ways up the mountain she realizes that this way she can be herself, play with her powers and, most of all, Anna will be safe the whole time. I really can't state enough how I think Elsa was traumatized by hurting Anna and terrified of doing it again. Look what happens when Anna does come to her, she runs some more, tells Anna to go home and be happy without her, then freaks out on hearing what happened to Arrendale. It's obvious that Anna's and Arrendale's safety is still a major priority for her. So no, I don't see a total abandonment of responsibility there.

As for Hans, he pretty much won until he had to act like a James Bond villain and gloat before leaving someone to die. Even without the claimed marriage, Anna said he was in charge and he could probably parlay that into a more permanent rulership, especially if he's know as the man who stepped up and solved the crisis. On the other hand, it's a common movie villain issue and at the end of the day, this is still a Disney movie written for families including children of all ages. It's important to outline clearly who the villain is. I brought this up myself earlier, with the admission that it's a minor nitpick.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Before I completely forget about this thread...
Ahriman238 wrote:... I don't think so. She may have originally run off in panic, but after climbing a ways up the mountain she realizes that this way she can be herself, play with her powers and, most of all, Anna will be safe the whole time. I really can't state enough how I think Elsa was traumatized by hurting Anna and terrified of doing it again. Look what happens when Anna does come to her, she runs some more, tells Anna to go home and be happy without her, then freaks out on hearing what happened to Arrendale. It's obvious that Anna's and Arrendale's safety is still a major priority for her. So no, I don't see a total abandonment of responsibility there.
The point is that the song doesn't convey any of that. Listening to the song, the only fear it conveys is her fear of being found out—and that one is moot by that time. Also, while these other fears contribute to why she abandons her responsibility, that doesn't change that she is still doing it.
As for Hans, he pretty much won until he had to act like a James Bond villain and gloat before leaving someone to die. Even without the claimed marriage, Anna said he was in charge and he could probably parlay that into a more permanent rulership, especially if he's know as the man who stepped up and solved the crisis.
That's a pretty big stretch. Especially when there is certainly someone next in line for the throne just waiting to assert their far superior claim. He has no official position at all, much less anything that would outlast Anna's life. Turning that into a more permanent rulership would be very unlikely.
On the other hand, it's a common movie villain issue and at the end of the day, this is still a Disney movie written for families including children of all ages. It's important to outline clearly who the villain is. I brought this up myself earlier, with the admission that it's a minor nitpick.
I don't think this to be a minor nitpick. Even if I grant that they need to have a clear villain—and I do not—Disney is the one who created the problem in the first place by writing Hans as they did. They could have made him a more obvious villain from the start or they could have revealed his villainy in some other manner.