Why Has Namor Been Forsaken?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Why Has Namor Been Forsaken?

Post by Havok »

Well making an Invaders movie, while cool, would be sort of redundant.
However using the classic Namor has amnesia schtick and putting him in the HCs as just a really strong and abnormally angry, yet loyal and heroic guy (letting all the points of his personality bleed through) would be cool. Then you can have him become the big bad for the next movie as he goes crazy from being away from the ocean and start realizing his power levels.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

He appeared in The Avengers: United They Stand episode "To Rule Atlantis", voiced by Raoul Trujillo. His portrait is seen in the conference room in "Avengers Assemble" Pt. 1.
In 2006, he appeared in the Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes episodes "Imperious Rex" and "Atlantis Attacks", voiced by Michael Adamthwaite.

That is literally all of his tv appearances since 1999
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Havok wrote:"Who the fuck is Indiana Jones? I know! Let's watch the movie and find out because I liked the trailer."
That is a weak ass fucking excuse and it really just needs to stop being used.
I know. I'm not making it. I'm saying that since Thor, hell add in Blade and Iron Man for that matter, crushed it so hard means no studio executives or bloggers or media assholes can trot it out like they did before Thor. And now we are getting Guardians of the Galaxy and the goddamned Ant-Man. There's no reason Namor shouldn't be involved.

For fucks sake, I think even MOON KNIGHT is going to get some media love before Namor.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Havok wrote:However using the classic Namor has amnesia schtick and putting him in the HCs as just a really strong and abnormally angry, yet loyal and heroic guy (letting all the points of his personality bleed through) would be cool.
That sounds awful. Wolverine works because Wolverine remembers he's Wolverine even if he doesn't remember why he's Wolverine, but Namor just being some guy and not king of the Atlanteans misses the point, I think.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Not if it isn't a Namor movie. It's just a way to introduce him if you don't want to jump right into the deep end so to speak.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Havok wrote:Not if it isn't a Namor movie. It's just a way to introduce him if you don't want to jump right into the deep end so to speak.
I don't think it introduces him in any meaningful manner. It introduces some guy who doesn't possess any of the attributes that make Namor Namor. "Strong and abnormally angry, yet loyal and heroic" could describe dozens of eighties action heroes.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

This is why you don't cherry pick...
Havok wrote:Then you can have him become the big bad for the next movie as he goes crazy from being away from the ocean and start realizing his power levels.
Poor sentence structure on my part, but this doesn't mean have it happen in the next movie, but in the HC movie.

It's not the best idea ever, but apparently, it may rank up there given the lack of anything Namor related :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Honestly the issue is that origins aside, I suspect most of the viewing public would see Namor as an Aquaman ripoff.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Maybe introduce him as the antagonist in a Hulk solo movie. There could be some interesting interplay between the two, with them both being seen as freaks and as a threat to humanity but with very different attitudes on how to deal with that (one wants to conquer the surface world while the other just wants to be left alone.)
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Steve wrote:Honestly the issue is that origins aside, I suspect most of the viewing public would see Namor as an Aquaman ripoff.
Yeah, like the general viewing public has any clue who Arthur is either. I venture the problem is no matter how well informed we are about those characters, humanity at large knows me, Clark, maybe Diana and on the Marvel side Peter, Tony, Thor, The Other Guy, and the Fantastic Four. That's it (and Thor and the FF may already be generous).
That's not to say those movies can't work ('Thor' certainly did, and I think even 'Daredevil' made a marginally reasonable amount of money-eventually), but it's pretty dicey (cue in the mess that was the live action 'Green Lantern'). Me, Clark, Spidey, Shellhead, we're household names. Namor and Arthur aren't, possibly excepting Arthur being by way of the Superfriends cartoon from way back when in the US, which from what I can gather about the series would likely result in potential viewers going 'why in Valen's name would I shell out for a movie about that useless idiot?'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

American audiences know Aguaman.

Iron Man was not a household name before the movies, not even close. Marvel's big three were Cap, Spidey and the Hulk.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Havok wrote:American audiences know Aguaman.
Hence the 'Superfriends' caveat. Unless you're intimating US viewers would know him from some other widely popular media?
Iron Man was not a household name before the movies, not even close. Marvel's big three were Cap, Spidey and the Hulk.
I stand corrected then.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Havok wrote:Iron Man was not a household name before the movies, not even close. Marvel's big three were Cap, Spidey and the Hulk.
I remember being quite shocked when Jerry Seinfeld made an Iron Man reference in his sitcom (which was a disagreement about whether or not he wore underwear under the armour). I believe my thought at the time was something like "why does he think anyone will know what he's talking about?"
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.