Wildbow's Pact- discussion thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: Wildbow's Pact- discussion thread

Post by Raw Shark »

Idle Speculation: 2.X: Gathered Pages 2: Implements:

The Trumpet:

Declarative: The Trumpet is bold. Loud. Powerful. Penetrative. Inconvenient to bear. Impossible to conceal. Impossible to ignore. WHAM. The practitioner who chooses the trumpet is the proverbial bull in the china shop by choice, ploughing through the defenses of others but rarely erecting one of his own when he blows loudly, and seductive when he pauses to hum quietly.

Authoritative: The Trumpet overwhelms, but it also beguiles. What it does not do is get ignored. It points and projects like a phallus, but receives and reflects like a chalice, balancing the gendered forces. It is strong in the element of air, but weak in water and vacuum.

Socio-Cultural: The Trumpet is remarkably cosmopolitan, stretching across a 3% popularity in the steppes of Tibet and Siberia and the American South (particularly New Orleans) with a roughly-even split between Ram's Horn and Brass Horn for the chosen medium.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

The Mask:

Declarative: The Mask is wholly declarative in its nature, presenting the face of the wearer's choosing to the world, while at the same time concealing the wearer's true identity. It tends to fall into two general categories: masks that look like something and masks that look like nothing, depending on whether the wearer's goal is transformation or negation. The Mask is an explicit declaration of practice when donned, and of mundanity when doffed, cutting a clear division between the two worlds for the wearer, and is at its core a work of man, more effective against men than beasts and Others.

Authoritative: The Mask that looks like something is extremely adept at workings to transform into that thing, but extremely-specialized to that purpose. The Mask that looks like nothing is very apt at workings that make the wearer ignored and forgotten. It does little on the offensive, but is quite good at evasion.

Socio-Cultural: The Mask is believed to be another Implement that sees popular worldwide use, though hard statistics are difficult to pinpoint.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Turns out I hit the easy mark with regard to Alexis and her (intended) Implement.

It's nice to finally see more of the Thorburn/Walker family. They are very diverse and entertaining little motherfuckers. I find it interesting that Bradley and Christina receive the least detail of all in the family. We have no idea what they look like at all, and they are very rarely addressed directly. They are virtual non-entities except in the memories of or when interacting directly with Blake/Rose. "Uncle P," is thrown around casually by the cousins, but we never hear the presumable, "Uncle B," or, "Aunt C."

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

So, what did we lern in this episode, children? - Yes, Timmy?

Witch hunters are da shit!

Very good, Timmy! Yes, they are mean mommy-bonkers!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Idle speculation. 2x. Gathered pages: implements

The crossbow.

Declarative: the cross bow is a weapon. Unlike a sword it cannot be used to block or parry. It is not a weapon that can disarm an opponent or release a gentler attack. It declares its singular purpose: to penetrate defenses and kill. Being almost silent and acting at range, it permits the wielder to strike from places unseen.

Authorative:
Little respect is paid to such a weapon beyond fear of its trigger. Different crossbows have been built in the shape of favoured glyphs or runes, which may confer the authority of another entity.

Socio-cultural:
The cross bow, being a complex manufactured object has no long history with others. There is a popular association with priests and witchunters, and due to its nature it aligns well with aggressive magic. A crossbow makes sense paired to a pyromancer, bit considerably less in the hands of a disciple of Venus.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LaCroix wrote:So, what did we lern in this episode, children? - Yes, Timmy?

I'm not sure that I'm following the plan here. The Thorburn Family gets Rose out of the house, then the Homicidal Wonder Twins whack the rest of her team (kind of surprised they don't seem to want to murder Kathryn, Ellie, and Roxanne while they've got the chance, for that matter) and clear the way to the tower, where the Behaims use what Rose taught Aimon to put a better circle around the one with the dead man's switch? If they were willing to do that, why didn't they do it in the first place, instead of using help called in from Toronto?

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

The Chain:

Declarative: The Chain tends to be either explicitly decorative or explicitly binding, but rarely both, at least in equal measure. Its purpose is usually obvious at a glance.

Authoritative: The Chain is the best implement in general for any sort of binding. It is also a versatile magical weapon, aiding workings that involve an obvious frontal assault when wrapped around the fist, and workings that attack from subtle avenues when unwrapped and swung unpredictably. It is also adept at increasing power channeled into it if used to symbolically "leverage" two (or in rare cases, more) things. Other than that, it does not lend itself to subtle workings; it is meant to be seen.

Socio-Cultural: The Chain is a clear and orderly work of man with a relatively recent history, but is emblematic of some fundamental concepts such as decoration and bondage that are readily understood across cultures. It is never common, but rarely absent, among a culture's practitioners, and occasionally gains dominance in the more unsavory type of isolated cult.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

The Plate:

Declarative: The Plate is declarative by definition, presenting whatever is placed upon it by its nature.

Authoritative: The Plate calls attention to itself and lends this attention to whatever is placed upon it. It benefits workings that must draw attention to something, but is of no use to those workings that eschew attention, except by drawing attention to itself instead. It is also one of the "holding" implements, capable of storing power like the Chalice, Coffer, and Coin, but in a manner that is open to observation, not concealable. The Plate presents its contents, for better or worse. It also separates, dividing whatever is placed upon it from whatever is beneath.

Socio-Cultural: The Plate is orderly but ancient. A mark of civilization, but not necessarily sophisticated civilization. It may be clay or metal or plastic, is neither dominant nor unknown anywhere, and extends across all cultures.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Raw Shark wrote:
LaCroix wrote:So, what did we lern in this episode, children? - Yes, Timmy?

I'm not sure that I'm following the plan here. The Thorburn Family gets Rose out of the house, then the Homicidal Wonder Twins whack the rest of her team (kind of surprised they don't seem to want to murder Kathryn, Ellie, and Roxanne while they've got the chance, for that matter) and clear the way to the tower, where the Behaims use what Rose taught Aimon to put a better circle around the one with the dead man's switch? If they were willing to do that, why didn't they do it in the first place, instead of using help called in from Toronto?
Sandra called in her old lover boy from Toronto. this is the behaims acting with their assets.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

madd0ct0r wrote:Sandra called in her old lover boy from Toronto.

I find it doubtful whether Sandra and Jeremy ever experienced anything like love with each other. They're definitely still married and have a sort of touchy-feely understanding, based on what we've seen, but love is a little strong here. Cold allies who've at some point fucked a lot is more like it.
madd0ct0r wrote:this is the behaims acting with their assets.
Andy and Eva are not Behaim assets, though they may be enjoying Behaim assistance with regard to the cops right now; they are independent by definition. If they are acting against Hillsglade House in this manner, either the majority of the magical community supports it or they have gone completely rogue, by nature of who they are.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

They are witch hunters - who would love to kill most practicioners if they could, and the Thorburns are Diabolists. When the Behaims tell them to go ahead, we won't move a finger against you, they will happily wreak heavok and destroy everything.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Right, I'm not questioning Andy and Eva's motivation (that was made clear in the Andy chapter - they dream of murder like kittens), I'm wondering why they haven't been unleashed before now, rather than calling in favors from outside, if the rest of the town was willing to unleash them at all, and why, once unleashed, they're going soft-serve on the un-awakened Thorburn women.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Well, they do get unleashed, after a vote.

And for the un-awakened - they are witch hunters. Unawakened people are called innocents, right? Organizations that train people to kill for a cause usually have quite strict rules about when killing is acceptable. Need to have some semblance of control over the monsters you create. Their target is most probably just Rose and the cabal. And they are (at least some kind kind of) professionals who like to make as little waves as possible.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

loving that brief bogey-girl - would anyone else say her book of flesh was a bit of an (a)LiveJournal?

wonder what other websites will come through (and if Ty will be explicitly marked as pulling these modern concept geists out )
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LaCroix wrote:Well, they do get unleashed, after a vote.
Sure, but what changed between the last vote and this one? Why send Jeremy and the Behaim kids first, unless they were unwilling to use Andy and Eva before but are now?
LaCroix wrote:And for the un-awakened - they are witch hunters. Unawakened people are called innocents, right? Organizations that train people to kill for a cause usually have quite strict rules about when killing is acceptable. Need to have some semblance of control over the monsters you create. Their target is most probably just Rose and the cabal. And they are (at least some kind kind of) professionals who like to make as little waves as possible.
Witch Hunters are explicitly able to harm innocents; Ty even brings it up in 11.7. That's the main reason why they're not Awakened: so they can break the rules of magic. For them, killing is acceptable whenever the vote says it is. So why not whack the female Thorburns? It'd potentially save them a lot of work down the road, shunting the inheritance onto Ivy if Rose croaks. Their dialogue indicates that they were only expecting Alexis, Ty, Tiff, and Blake, not the others, so it's possible that they're reluctant to act outside of a specific mandate to get those four, or even that they don't know who the people in the living room are, which seems like the strongest possibility to me now, following 11.8.
madd0ct0r wrote:loving that brief bogey-girl - would anyone else say her book of flesh was a bit of an (a)LiveJournal?
Yeah, I guess we know how bogey-people fuck now, in case anybody was wondering.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

I've got to say, I'm really enjoying the extended Thorburn family, especially Peter and Roxanne. If anybody Awakens that vicious, relentless little girl it's going to be a total shit-show.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Roxanne doesn't need much to be awakened. For all that counts, she is as close to being an other as you can get. :))

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

But then, she probably grew up watching "Happy tree friends"...

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ok... Coming from a half-wooden creature curretnly trapped inside an old wooden house with lot's of mortal friends and a VERY BAD NEWS(tm) demon in the attic, this must be the most stupid plan, ever.

OR most ballsy.

OR genius.

Probalby all the above. If they manage to make it convoluted enough to have a one in a million chance of succeeding, they might be able to pull it off without initiating the end of the word. Might.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ok, forget my comment about the setting on fire thing was the most stupid plan, ever.

Blake always outperforms any conceivable stupidity with his plans.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

well, he does have the role of fool to play.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, and this is foolish. What will the Drains strip from each of his friends? Worst-case scenario theories:

Ty: Creativity, enthusiasm, or whimsy; his most positive qualities.

Tiff: Fear and vulnerability, the things she has most in common with Blake that form his only genuine bond of non-manufactured friendship. A fearless, invulnerable Tiff would have little time for Blake.

Alexis: Compassion or courage. She'll lose something that makes Blake love her.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I find it funny how some people in the discussion are still argueing that Blake should NOT attack the watching practicioners, because that's 'evil'.

Yeah, the people coordinating and watching an attack on a house, with intent to kill everyone inside, are certainly not valid targets for a counterattack.

These people would not last long in pactverse - or any wildbow-verse, in fact.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LaCroix wrote:I find it funny how some people in the discussion are still argueing that Blake should NOT attack the watching practicioners, because that's 'evil'.

Yeah, the people coordinating and watching an attack on a house, with intent to kill everyone inside, are certainly not valid targets for a counterattack.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned several times that hitting somebody back is Kosher with Karma, and it'd gas him up on Bogeyjuice. Cue more Behaims getting impaled with thin pieces of wood in 5... 4... 3... 2...
LaCroix wrote:These people would not last long in pactverse - or any wildbow-verse, in fact.
Putting people like that in the blind meat-grinder that is Wormverse would just be cruel. At least Pactverse has rules.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

People argue that for deciding to killing Behaim and Duchamp practicioners, Blake is now evil.

I don't know - by what I've read this far, he's pretty much one of the few with a rudimentary working moral complass left there - the people he's dealing with have done things worse enough to be classified monsters.