The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (spoliers!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (spoliers!)

Post by Ted C »

As I recall, the White Council moved against the Necromancer without really knowing who it was. Gandalf suspected it was Sauron, Saruman disagreed, but they eventually decided that the Necromancer needed to go, whoever he was. The Necromancer's identity was revealed during the struggle. All of this happened "off screen" of course, so the details are sketchy (although there may be more info in Appendix-type material).
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Ted C wrote:As I recall, the White Council moved against the Necromancer without really knowing who it was. Gandalf suspected it was Sauron, Saruman disagreed, but they eventually decided that the Necromancer needed to go, whoever he was. The Necromancer's identity was revealed during the struggle. All of this happened "off screen" of course, so the details are sketchy (although there may be more info in Appendix-type material).
As far as I remember, the White Council knew already that the Necromancer was Sauron before they attacked him. Gandalf also knew that he was Sauron, because he was so concerned about the possibility of Sauron using Smaug to lay waste to North and maybe Eriador as well and that's why Gandalf thought about helping the Dwarves to re-claim their kingdom and kill Smaug.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Tiriol wrote:
Ted C wrote:As I recall, the White Council moved against the Necromancer without really knowing who it was. Gandalf suspected it was Sauron, Saruman disagreed, but they eventually decided that the Necromancer needed to go, whoever he was. The Necromancer's identity was revealed during the struggle. All of this happened "off screen" of course, so the details are sketchy (although there may be more info in Appendix-type material).
As far as I remember, the White Council knew already that the Necromancer was Sauron before they attacked him. Gandalf also knew that he was Sauron, because he was so concerned about the possibility of Sauron using Smaug to lay waste to North and maybe Eriador as well and that's why Gandalf thought about helping the Dwarves to re-claim their kingdom and kill Smaug.
Correct as we saw in the Council of Elrond sequence in the book.

Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldur preceded the Erebor mission. He confirmed Sauron was there before setting out with Thorin.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Elfdart wrote:It's not like they had a whole lot of options to choose from. There was no Sicarius Dracorum laying around for them to use.
That was a fun movie!

Still, even though they don't have a specific Dragon-Slaying device just hanging around I would have liked if it had done something a bit more appreciable to him. Even if they had given me a toss-away line about "Giving Smaug more gold than he can handle" or something. I don't mind that it didn't work, I just mind that it didn't seem like there would have ever been a chance of it working.

If he had stepped on one of those forges and burnt his hand, I might have been happier, because that telegraphs to me the idea that Smaug is vulnerable to the heat of melted gold. He's a hot-drake so he radiates heat himself, and breathes fire, and can endure the flaming pits of a mountain which he was mostly likely bred in, so I don't really know if Tolkeinwise he should be vulnerable to heat... but I just, I don't know. It was like they tried to light a Balrog on fire to kill it, and then act surprised when fire doesn't kill the thing made of fire. It made me facepalm.

If they had simply submerged Smaug in water (ie, flip the gold and water moments so they piss him off first THEN try to drown him) they might have had a much better chance of killing him, as he could not only get his fire quenched but lose much of his strength.

But that's just me. I don't hate it, I think it just looked like a terrible idea. Why didn't they just run back up the tunnel they came down? I know they jumped down, but why? I'm not mad, I'm really not! I just wish the event had given me a greater sense of "oh shit, it didn't work!" than "no shit it didn't work."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

JME2 wrote:Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldur preceded the Erebor mission. He confirmed Sauron was there before setting out with Thorin.
I know that Gandalf had been to Dol Guldur before, because that's where he got the key to Erebor's back door from Thrain, but I don't remember him positively identifying Sauron during that trip.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ted C wrote:
JME2 wrote:Gandalf's trip to Dol Guldur preceded the Erebor mission. He confirmed Sauron was there before setting out with Thorin.
I know that Gandalf had been to Dol Guldur before, because that's where he got the key to Erebor's back door from Thrain, but I don't remember him positively identifying Sauron during that trip.
I thought he identified him while braving Dol Guldur's dungeons, but I could be wrong; it's been a while since I read the book.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I vaguely remember that up until the official assault on Mirkwood that the Council and Gandalf assumed the Necromancer was the Witch-King and not actually Sauron, but I could be off.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

NeoGoomba wrote:I vaguely remember that up until the official assault on Mirkwood that the Council and Gandalf assumed the Necromancer was the Witch-King and not actually Sauron, but I could be off.
Gandalf went to Dol Guldur twice: first time Sauron avoided detection by leaving the fortress and Gandalf discovered nothing of value. The second time Gandalf found Thorin's father in the dungeons of Dol Guldur and it was then he also learned of the Necromancer's true identity (we don't know how; maybe Thorin's father told him? I doubt Gandalf actually faced Sauron, because the Grey Wizard would have perished in that confrontation or would have been locked away permanently). Before that the Wise did suspect that the Necromancer was one of the Ringwraiths, but they couldn't be sure; and Gandalf was afraid that the Necromancer would be Sauron himself recovering his power and growing in strength.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess