THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Q99 »

Ok, read it!

Ah hem, *narrator voice*

*In a World of Gods*

*From the Azure City*

*One Captain Has a Mission*

*To discover the cause of a brutal conflict between Human and Hobgoblin*

*Joined by a Young Nobleman*

*A Cowardly Soldier*

*A refugee who plies her skills as a tracker to get her family a better life*

*And some Hobgoblins!*

*Learn the story of.... how O-Chul got his Scars!*
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

A very good story bringing back a few known characters and giving background to them.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Raesene wrote:A very good story bringing back a few known characters and giving background to them.
Spoiler
It's too bad the cowardly soldier ended up in an early grave at the end.

Also I'd look forward to a certain major character to show up in the main comic hopefully at some point.

All in all I'd say this is probably the strongest of the bonus stories. I mean, the length gave it a major edge, but even so it was a great story.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah, I've downloaded but not read it yet.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1071 is up.

while O-Chul's story was worth the wait, I hope we get main story updates more frequently now.

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, Andi is doing a remarkably good job of exemplifying poor leadership in a crisis.

I'd accuse her of being a straw character, but honestly a lot of us have had bosses like that; the only difference is that they usually didn't hit the previous boss over the head with a wrench to get into the position.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, Andi is doing a remarkably good job of exemplifying poor leadership in a crisis.
She is not, at the moment, a leader. Certainly not to the people she's talking to.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think that what you say is true in large part becuase what I said is true.

If Andi weren't so black-comedically detached from reality, so incapable of doing anything other than insist that there must be solutions to problems and yell about B's character defects, people might be a lot more willing to think of her as "in charge."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

We've had ample proof of it now. And half the strip was a splash panel.

The decompressed story telling really grates at times.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Mm, her 'keep trying stuff until it works,' is certainly more useful than just sitting there, though.

Like, she's not got a handle of things, but I've definitely seen worse.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The problem is, she's trying poorly conceived ideas that can easily get them all killed. Or ideas that can permanently trap them. And she's not even acknowledging that these problems are happening- she's saying stuff like "Wait, I told you to go to Point A not Point B," when Point B is directly between Point A and their current location and cannot be avoided.

And whenever she gets hit with a reality she can't ignore, she just turns around and starts blaming other people- "rejecting their facts."

I would argue that this is NOT more useful than just sitting there conversing and actually getting input from her crew would be. Or, y'know, just not having attacked the captain and mutinied.

You may have seen worse management styles, but if so, that's only because said people weren't managing in a life or death situation where their incredibly crappy management could get everyone killed in a matter of minutes to hours.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He's certainly churning them out now: 1073
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Maybe sort of compensating for the massive dry spell while he worked on that big book of O-Chul stuff.

And, hm. Andie is now actually doing something useful, but it's exactly what she'd be doing as engineer, and has nothing to do with captaincy. Go figure.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

And, hm. Andie is now actually doing something useful, but it's exactly what she'd be doing as engineer, and has nothing to do with captaincy. Go figure.
Not an uncommon trope, really. I've been in the situation myself where I can <insert primary competency> the SHIT out of a problem, but can't handle taking overal leadership of it.

@ Roy: "You are technically correct - the best kind of correct!"
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1074 is up. WHAT A TWIST!
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ah long speeches. The preferred delivery of plot advancement in OotS.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm just glad we're getting a decent update rate.

It does look like a nice touch that Bandana is pretty clearly going to have to forgo anything like revenge or punishment against Andie. The "suck it up" message isn't just for the others; it applies to her too.

This is one of the defining things that makes Roy a good leader, in my opinion- he nearly always recognizes when a situation isn't about what he personally wants.
Venator wrote:
Not an uncommon trope, really. I've been in the situation myself where I can <insert primary competency> the SHIT out of a problem, but can't handle taking overal leadership of it.
It's not just a fictional trope; there's a lot of people who are like this in real life. It's how the Peter Principle became a popular meme, because there are just so many people in real life who are good at specific tasks but bad at running a group of people to perform the task.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1075 is up. Man, Bandana knows what's up.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's a real endorsement when Roy defers to you on tactics.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1076 is up.

Nothing to worry about...

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raesene wrote:1076 is up.

Nothing to worry about...
What Roy doesn't know about, Roy doesn't have to get outraged about....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

What's the betting they need everything they chucked overboard shortly?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, they probably won't need a dead giantess, they're in a mountain range literally made out of big rocks, and the huge axe is too unwieldy to use even for Roy...

But they might regret not having the ballistas.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!