THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Crazedwraith »

True, to be honest I'd forgotten that was going on at all. The subplots seem to outweight the main plots these days.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To be fair, Burlew is clearly trying to resolve sideplots, and that takes some time and effort.

The whole entanglement with Tarquin was a way of getting rid of Nale (though it also introduced a new antagonist in the form of Durkula, it clearly wasn't part of the 'winding down' even if it did wind down one ongoing conflict in favor of another).

Haley's past? Resolved in the gnome city, with Bozzok and Crystal both being dead (or extra-dead, as the case may be). Durkula? Winding down now. The only big X-factor still in play after that will be V's bargain with the inter-fiend commission, and that's pretty clearly going to be directly related to the main plotline since the fiends have designs on the gates and the Snarl.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Dominated Elan doesn't seem to be making use of the Dashing Swordsman abilities, which presumable is why Roy's reaction is more 'that tickles' and less 'ow'
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

1125 is up

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1125.html

this one is a big meh from me.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

DID HE JUST KILL THE CROW?!?!?!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Of course not. There aren't any Xs over his eyes.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-06-19 09:56pm DID HE JUST KILL THE CROW?!?!?!
Probably just at 0 or 1 HP, ready for coup de grace, but can be healed.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-06-19 09:56pm DID HE JUST KILL THE CROW?!?!?!
Not my stealth Dinosaur!!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So Durkon's mum has a secret. I'm interested but also struggling to see the relevance to the current events.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-13 03:39pm 1126

So Durkon's mum has a secret. I'm interested but also struggling to see the relevance to the current events.
Depends on what the secret is, doesn't it? That 25,000 gp could have paid for a lot of magical security.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The first thing that springs to mind is that 25,000 gp is the cost of a True Resurrection spell.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Ralin wrote: 2018-07-13 10:51pm The first thing that springs to mind is that 25,000 gp is the cost of a True Resurrection spell.
Well that's interesting.

So Durkon's father might not be as dead as he was, or it's a contingency on Durkon himself dying and his body being returned to the temple, an interesting way to get around the prophecy, although it seems to have been made after the point he's flashing back to.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Bedlam wrote: 2018-07-14 05:05am So Durkon's father might not be as dead as he was, or it's a contingency on Durkon himself dying and his body being returned to the temple, an interesting way to get around the prophecy, although it seems to have been made after the point he's flashing back to.
My first thought was that Durkon died in infancy or during childbirth and was resurrected and thus would be returning home posthumously no matter what, but I'm not seeing how that could be relevant.

Also it seems shaky to call something a donation when you're paying the temple for a service, at cost.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

youch
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-16 02:56pmyouch
that must have hurt... :-(

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

"So you donated that to the Temple?"
"Kinda. Na Rally"

Sounds like the Priests "convinced her" to give them all the gems and gold. Wonder what they offered her in return?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

The more Roy is bothered and smashed up...The more I hope he FINALLY gets to wipe that smug smile of Dunkulas face.
I mean COME ON! Just KILL HIM ALREADY!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Also Durkula's mom is the best Dwarf
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Motherfucker.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

OH GOD DAMN IT!
AND THEY KILLED THE CLERIC!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Caiaphas
Padawan Learner

Post by Caiaphas »

...not gonna lie, I have no idea how they're going to get out of this. Like, is there even any way, mechanically, that Durkon can break the control Count Durkula has on him at this point, because I wager that's the only reinforcement they're liable to get at this point.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Caiaphas wrote: 2018-07-20 06:37pmLike, is there even any way, mechanically, that Durkon can break the control Count Durkula has on him at this point, because I wager that's the only reinforcement they're liable to get at this point.
The entire Durkon/Durkula dynamic is 100 percent Burlew's homebrew as far as I know. If it's possible for him to break free or subvert the vampire spirit I don't think mechanics enter into it one way or another.

EDIT:

That said, in hard mechanical terms it should be possible for Hilgya to break free of the Domination effect at a critical moment if Burlew decides to go that way