THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by AniThyng »

I found V's reaction to Belkar complaining that Durkula tried to kill him most amusing.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Well, at least this one was funny. New love interest for Roy?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't expect so. He's still involved with Cecilia as far as I recall
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

No one likes Celia.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

She mildly amuses me, and I find the idea happy-making that Roy's in a long-term stable relationship.

Also, Roy's Lawful, in the self-disciplined and honorable sense, so it would be out of character for him to have a sudden illicit affair with a woman he's just met.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Simon_Jester wrote:She mildly amuses me, and I find the idea happy-making that Roy's in a long-term stable relationship.

Also, Roy's Lawful, in the self-disciplined and honorable sense, so it would be out of character for him to have a sudden illicit affair with a woman he's just met.
^ That pretty much sums up my feelings on Celia and the "shipping" going on. Only wrench that could end up in the works of Roy's code is the whole "the end of the universe is REALLY STRESSFUL" factor.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

"An unnamed female character was amiable with a male protagonist for an entire comic. Clearly she will be a love interest, right?"

Wow. Just...wow.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Terralthra wrote:"An unnamed female character was amiable with a male protagonist for an entire comic. Clearly she will be a love interest, right?"

Wow. Just...wow.
Law of conservation of detail. If she isn't important, why nave her in the first place?

And considering the conversation, it is not too far-fetched to say so.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I have to say that's a unique way to pray, in any case.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spekio wrote:No one likes Celia.
I find her entertaining and think her relationship with Roy is cute.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Spekio wrote:
Terralthra wrote:"An unnamed female character was amiable with a male protagonist for an entire comic. Clearly she will be a love interest, right?"

Wow. Just...wow.
Law of conservation of detail. If she isn't important, why nave her in the first place?

And considering the conversation, it is not too far-fetched to say so.
The conversation of "your friend is a vampire and that's kinda weird"? That's, what, flirting?

Anyway, "if she isn't important, why have her" = "she must be important" = "she must be a potential love interest for a male protagonist" is pretty much exactly the problem, thanks for spelling it out more clearly for me.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Terralthra wrote:
Anyway, "if she isn't important, why have her" = "she must be important"
Fixed that for you.

The question is how is she important.

One comic, considering we are getting one roughly 3 weeks, is a lot of time to devote to a conversation that could have been had with an existing character.
"she must be a potential love interest for a male protagonist" is pretty much exactly the problem, thanks for spelling it out more clearly for me.
Considering relationships are a source of drama that the author has milked before (Remember Miko, Therkla, Hilgya ?), of course my assumption is based on naught but my innate sexism.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He also characterised Bandana! And until that scene I didn't realise Haley's out fit wasn't just the art upgraded version of her old one. Clearly an unnecessary scene therefore clearly Hayley is going to have a lesbian affair for drama!

Or.. he wants to characterise as much of the mechane crew as possible. Either because they'll have an ongoing role akin to the resistance or Hinjo, or just to twist the knife from the mechane crew is horribly slaughtered by team evil. Or both!
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Crazedwraith wrote:He also characterised Bandana! And until that scene I didn't realise Haley's out fit wasn't just the art upgraded version of her old one. Clearly an unnecessary scene therefore clearly Hayley is going to have a lesbian affair for drama!
I got the distinct impression that was about playing off on Crystal.
Or.. he wants to characterise as much of the mechane crew as possible. Either because they'll have an ongoing role akin to the resistance or Hinjo, or just to twist the knife from the mechane crew is horribly slaughtered by team evil. Or both!
Well, how mysoginistic of you! So a random female NPC gets named and you assume she is going to die. Of course, women are weak, right?

Or they could be being characterized so that an eventual betrayal hurts more. Oh wait, that's my sexism again because I'm saying all women are treacherous harpies, is it not?

You people are reading too much out of my inane fan theory.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. I'm just saying that they are many more possibilities than just being a love interest. And again, Roy is a lawful good guy in a committed relationship. It just doesn't seem a likely development.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Crazedwraith wrote:I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong. I'm just saying that they are many more possibilities than just being a love interest. And again, Roy is a lawful good guy in a committed relationship. It just doesn't seem a likely development.
I am probably reading too much about their interaction. It's just a vibe I got.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

One good thing this latest book has brought about, we're getting to know a lot more about Durkon. He's stopped being the flat character and is getting to become a fully fleshed character, even without the whole turning to evil vampire some thought he was going through. Instead, it seems we're getting him as a good man, but a three dimensional one.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

963 is up. I think I might know what he's planning, but it'll be a trick to pull off.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I confess that I do not.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Manipulate the vampire by showing him memories that the vampire will misinterpret in such a way as to make a huge gaffe that will cause Roy and the others realize he's not the real Durkon.

It's what I would have gone with. A good deal more subtle than normal for Durkon, but it's not like he has something else to occupy his time.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Huh....... And here I was thinking that it would be Durkon trying to get Roy and co to link memories together so they cotton on to him being evil/manipulated or something
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

What do you mean? The rest of the order doesn't see the memories. Just the Durkons do.

See I want to like this. Seeing more of Durkon and his past should be a good thing. But thus far its not that funny or revealing. This one was a little better. But it reveals a trait about Durkon that started when he was a kid and apparently he overcame before the comic started. When the party was just him and Roy. So...

I mean yes its building to something, its just not entertaining me as much along the way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Also, this particular memory sequence shows Durkon learning and overcoming this trait, in which case Durkula will know not to display that trait.

EDIT:

Then again, Durkon may be assuming that Durkula's personal amorality and evil will cause him to not learn the appropriate lessons from these memories. So Durkula remembers everything Durkon knows (with a bit of selective re-emphasis), but doesn't understand its significance.

If that's his plan, though, he's got a problem, because the Order already knows that vampire!Durkon is more ruthless and cruel than old!Durkon.