THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Seems to me Durkula just made a very Roy like mistake, thinking he already knows all the answers.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1112 is up.

Some vampires get better hosts...

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1113 is up.

Exposition-y but interesting.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I like her chances too.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1114 is up (at last).

nice race, have to think about integrating that into my next campaign somehow.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

The last Monster for Every Season paper miniatures pack came out last week for the Kickstarter backers, and since that's done, 1115 is up.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Subtle, Belkar, subtle.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

1116 is up, and this is already not going the way Durkula thought it would. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Sound tactic.

Send in hordes of summoned creatures to soak up the damage from the traps.

I'd follow up with Command Undead (cleric of Loki), Sunlight spell (Cleric of Thor), and Prismatic Spray. Follow that up with Flame Strikes, and of course

Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Loki is Chaotic Neutral in this setting, so his clerics get to choose whether to turn or rebuke/command undead, and Hilgya chose the former, since she used it on the vampires earlier.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I never cease to get a kick out of the neverending number of uses for Roy's useless bag of tricks.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm a bit unclear on how the little random creatures were helping; it seems like the giant colorful giraffe-monsters were doing most of the work there?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-04-09 08:24am I'm a bit unclear on how the little random creatures were helping; it seems like the giant colorful giraffe-monsters were doing most of the work there?
I think they're mostly a joke, with a bit of 'every little bit helps' maybe they die after a hit, but they soak up that hit, or give a flanking bonus someone else can take advantage of.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-04-09 08:24am I'm a bit unclear on how the little random creatures were helping; it seems like the giant colorful giraffe-monsters were doing most of the work there?
I think someone on Reddit said that Roy is able to influence the creatures, who in turn can influence the giraffes
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ah.

How do the little creatures influence the giraffes, though?
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The cleric summoned the giraffes, according to dialogue. The bag of tricks obviously provided small animal jockeys...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

It's been pointed out that Durkon has been dead for 5 years.

Man.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Lonestar wrote: 2018-04-10 08:57pm It's been pointed out that Durkon has been dead for 5 years.
Huh? Care to elaborate?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LaCroix wrote: 2018-04-11 04:03am
Lonestar wrote: 2018-04-10 08:57pm It's been pointed out that Durkon has been dead for 5 years.
Huh? Care to elaborate?
Out of universe, I assume. Long, slowly updated comic is long and slowly updated.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

oh... riiight...

Wow...

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Last page's unspoken plan is proceeding well!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Having a secret Cleric is working out better than planned.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is there any way we can parse things so that Durkon was holding them back all this time?

Maybe having to make do without a cleric for a while forced the rest of the Order of the Stick to start thinking a bit more carefully about risk minimization and exploiting their advantages instead of just barging into things?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

No longer missing the forest for the trees, as it were?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb