THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Venator »

Solauren wrote:I'm taking odds on Haley doing something to Wrench girl.
I'm taking odds on Belkar doing something to Wrench girl.

Said actions may not be the same.
Old Haley and New Belkar are both less inclined that way than previously. That said, New Belkar is still Evil, he just occasionally has glimmers of wholesomeness and empathy shining through the blood-raining clouds. Though my money is on Haley because 1. she's more situationally aware of the issues and 2. she's Lawful Pragmatic before anything else.

Given that they're still fighting Frost Giants, we might see Andi get smote by RNG or something similarly anticlimactic first.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1067 is up.

and something important gets lost...

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Do we think his character has developed sufficiently from last time to pack a back up?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Venator wrote:
Solauren wrote:I'm taking odds on Haley doing something to Wrench girl.
I'm taking odds on Belkar doing something to Wrench girl.

Said actions may not be the same.
Old Haley and New Belkar are both less inclined that way than previously. That said, New Belkar is still Evil, he just occasionally has glimmers of wholesomeness and empathy shining through the blood-raining clouds. Though my money is on Haley because 1. she's more situationally aware of the issues and 2. she's Lawful Pragmatic before anything else.

Given that they're still fighting Frost Giants, we might see Andi get smote by RNG or something similarly anticlimactic first.
Revised theory, Roy kills Andi slowly with his bare hands.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Only if he somehow manages to subdue the giant without a weapon.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I wish the comic would get on with it already. I'd happily take the older simpler style of that's what it takes to reach the MITD reveal before I'm in my 40's.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rogue 9 wrote:Only if he somehow manages to subdue the giant without a weapon.
Or has a back up. Or uses the axe that giant he just killed had.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Some pressing questions:
1) Who, if anyone, has Locate Object?
2) Roy having/not having a backup weapon is actually... I'm calling it 50/50. The bad news is, there's been no buildup to it, its' a recurring problem for Roy, and there HAS been constant buildup of how Roy's new abilities are dependent on his wielding an ancestral weapon. The good news is, we've spent a lot of time over the past few hundred pages building up the "Roy is actually pretty damn smart" meme, and while the new art style is more detailed it's not so detailed that we can just say "well, he's not drawn carrying a backup weapon so he must not have one."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Well, let's hope that Roy grabbed the no doubt exceptionally potent dagger that Tarquin dropped on the Mechane in panel 934. More interesting but less immediately useful would be the whip that Tarquin left wrapped around V's neck in panel 931. Or Roy uses the new captain as an improvised greatclub...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yeah, shes' the bad guy, but "LEAN IN SISTER!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

For the stupid among us, what are they meaning? Is this regarding sexism in the workplace?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

FaxModem1 wrote:For the stupid among us, what are they meaning? Is this regarding sexism in the workplace?
And in general, yeah.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

1069!

Elan is useful! And not even using his prestige class to do it!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, that's one of the multiple overlapping life-threatening problems dealt with.

I find it ironic that Elan (a character Andie would probably hate, not sure but that's my take on her) was the one to do the one thing Andie's actually SUPPOSED to be good at: namely, fixing damage to the airship. While Andie's busy ranting about how stupid other people are and how she should be in charge, Elan went up and fixed the damn boat.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1070 is up.

Elan gets better and better :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Considering who's ship it was. He's probably right. :D
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

At the very least, Julio would make sure every necessary rope was actually a redundant pair, so he could always pick one of a given pair at random and use it for swinging on without endangering the ship.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

The problem with that, of course, is that if you leave the unnecessary ropes as singletons, the last remaining important rope looks exactly like an expendable one the next time you need to swing.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I never said Julio's plans would be perfect.

But if that's an issue, you could use different colors or compositions of rope?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Or fix the ropes after use... Also consider that much of the Mechane's operation comes down to whatever is most dramatically appropriate. If it were dramatically appropriate for a cut rope to be vital, the cut rope would be vital. If drama calls for the Mechane to get to its destination successfully, no number of cut ropes will stop it. Granted, it may just barely arrive and only at the absolute last possible moment.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Simon_Jester wrote:I never said Julio's plans would be perfect.

But if that's an issue, you could use different colors or compositions of rope?
Which would just invite scenes of the "is it the [red/rough/crosshatched] rope, or the [blue/smooth/braided] rope" variety. :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The comic's been quiet for a while. Now I find out why. The O-Chuul prequel has arrived for those that backed the kickstarter... so long ago.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote:The comic's been quiet for a while. Now I find out why. The O-Chuul prequel has arrived for those that backed the kickstarter... so long ago.
How is it?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

LadyTevar wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:The comic's been quiet for a while. Now I find out why. The O-Chuul prequel has arrived for those that backed the kickstarter... so long ago.
How is it?
I haven't read through it yet, but to start with, 96 pages, so longer than all the other bonus stories combined, which is also why I haven't read it yet! It's a novelle to the other's short stories.