Wonder Woman cast for Batman/Superman movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Wonder Woman cast for Batman/Superman movie

Post by FaxModem1 »

USA Today
Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in Batman/Superman film
Brian Truitt, USA TODAY 2:29 p.m. EST December 4, 2013
Israeli 'Fast & Furious' actress will share screen time with Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck.
Gal Gadot Wonder Woman

(Photo: Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
Story Highlights

Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in Zack Snyder's 'Man of Steel' follow-up
The Israeli actress has starred in three 'Fast & Furious' movies
She'll be a superhero opposite Ben Affleck's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman

SHARE 1448 CONNECT 137 TWEET 9 COMMENTEMAILMORE

She was first fast and furious. Now Israeli actress Gal Gadot is looking positively wondrous.

Warner Bros. Pictures confirmed Wednesday that Gadot, 28, has been cast to play Diana Prince, and her superhero alter ego Wonder Woman, in director Zack Snyder's upcoming Man of Steel follow-up. The as-yet-untitled movie, scheduled for release July 17, 2015, features Henry Cavill in his second stint as Superman (and Clark Kent) and Ben Affleck, who's making his movie debut as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Gadot, a model and 2004 Miss Universe contestant from Israel, starred in three movies in the Fast & Furious franchise — including this year's Fast & Furious 6 — and also had supporting roles in Date Night and Knight & Day.

This marks Wonder Woman's biggest on-screen splash to date — Lynda Carter played the DC Comics superheroine on TV in the 1970s, and Adrianne Palicki starred as Diana in a Wonder Woman pilot that never made it to series.

"Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favorite in the DC Universe," Snyder said. "Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role.

"We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature-film incarnation of this beloved character."

The Batman/Superman movie begins principal photography in the first quarter of 2014 and returns Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White and Diane Lane as Martha Kent.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Wonder Woman cast for Batman/Superman movie

Post by Ted C »

I hope they're not going to try to cram an origin story in with the whole "Superman vs Batman" thing.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I haven't seen her in enough movies to say what her acting ability is like, but she certainly looks like she could pass as a magical Amazon princess.

Unfortunately, being a Zack Snyder film, about the most I can hope for is a subsequent standalone movie not written by Zack Snyder.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Interesting, seems like they're going to cram a new Batman and Wonder Woman directly into the continuity without origin movies of their own. You can probably get away with that for Batman (and I suspect this film will delve into his history a little anyway) but WW has a ton going on behind the scenes that is worthy of explanation.

I've not seen her in anything before (or any of the F&F movies) but she wouldn't be my pick visually.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Perhaps her appearance will be limited to an after-credits scene, Marvel-style, or maybe she's featured on the news when she suddenly appears on Earth. Having both Batman AND Wonder Woman would just be too much for a straight Man of Steel sequel- unless it's actually all been a ploy, and we're actually getting a full-blown JL movie in 2015.
Also, I do not see the costume translating very well to the screen, judging by previous attempts. But then again, Superman looks pretty amazing overall, so we shall have to wait and see. I really hope they go for something rather dignified and practical, than something that barely covers 40% of her skin :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

It looks like the Flash will make an appearance, too. Based on that, I'm guessing Wonder Woman and the Flash appear in the stinger to set up a Justice League movie and the plot of the movie itself is Batman and Superman.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Chimaera wrote:Also, I do not see the costume translating very well to the screen, judging by previous attempts. But then again, Superman looks pretty amazing overall, so we shall have to wait and see. I really hope they go for something rather dignified and practical, than something that barely covers 40% of her skin :P
I'd like to see something like this.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Grumman wrote:
Chimaera wrote:Also, I do not see the costume translating very well to the screen, judging by previous attempts. But then again, Superman looks pretty amazing overall, so we shall have to wait and see. I really hope they go for something rather dignified and practical, than something that barely covers 40% of her skin :P
That's...actually not bad. I could cope with that :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Panzersharkcat wrote:It looks like the Flash will make an appearance, too. Based on that, I'm guessing Wonder Woman and the Flash appear in the stinger to set up a Justice League movie and the plot of the movie itself is Batman and Superman.
Sounds very plausible.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Chimaera wrote:
Grumman wrote:
That's...actually not bad. I could cope with that :lol:
How about this?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualgirl/10861543256/

How it was made...
http://www.meagan-marie.com/warriorwonderwoman/

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Chimaera wrote: Also, I do not see the costume translating very well to the screen, judging by previous attempts. But then again, Superman looks pretty amazing overall, so we shall have to wait and see. I really hope they go for something rather dignified and practical, than something that barely covers 40% of her skin :P
This conversation always takes place, instead of the uh, varied storytelling in the WW comic. And it's easy, just tone down the colors a bit so they aren't in your face, stop-sign red, maybe play up the armored look that works so well in the comics and voila.

Honesty compels me to admit I don't like the segmented bracers, but that's a simple enough tweak for any half-decent props department.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I actually kinda liked the segmented bracers to tell the truth, the segmented greaves I'm not particularly happy with. But I agree overall, this is a rather nice take on a costume that is, let's face it, the next best thing to impossible to make look sensible. You can make it slightly less useless than the comics version (which this film did admirably I think) but that's about the best you can do without dropping the basic layout of the costume.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I just feel like they should look stronger, but it's not a big deal. The point is, all you have to do is make it from leather with subdued colors and maybe some trim (like the pauldrons, and scale male on her skirt) and it looks like Greco-Roman armor instead of America's most patriotic woman's swimsuit. Which fits much better with her backstory as a warrior-princess of the Amazons and ambassador to Man's World.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

And the nice thing is that Greco-Roman armour looks awesome anyway. Not like those stupid man-panties in 300.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Now that I think of it, it might look a bit weird in a line with the "alien-texture" Superman outfit, the present Batsuit, and GL's glowing CGI costume. But it would still be good in it's own right and at least stand out less than the bright swimsuit version.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Basically everyone would like a pixel-swapped Xena Costume?

Damn, but everything I hear about this film makes me less hyped.
ow that I think of it, it might look a bit weird in a line with the "alien-texture" Superman outfit, the present Batsuit, and GL's glowing CGI costume. But it would still be good in it's own right and at least stand out less than the bright swimsuit version.
The Batsuit and the GL costumes will probably be redesigned though considering this is unconnected to their old films.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I don't see any reason why WW can't have a reasonably out there suit provided it's got some backstory. No one bats an eyelid at Thor's get up because hey, he's an alien and they dress different. WW is pretty much exactly the same- human looking but in reality something far more from a culture entirely different (and semi magical). People will buy Batman looking pretty much however he looks (like Captain America) because he's so famous you don't need to explain it. For me at least, show me she's from a different culture*, that's how they dress and I'd be fine with it.

*Removing the 'I am a female Captain America' aspects would be needed here.
Dragon Clan Veritech
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ted C wrote:I hope they're not going to try to cram an origin story in with the whole "Superman vs Batman" thing.
What we're seeing here is the continued fallout from Green Lantern's failure two years ago.

The 2011 film's flop has probably set DC film adaptations back at least a decade. WB studio is too scarred by the financial loss of a B-list character's adaption (and Hal should never have gotten a $250 million budget anyway).

So they've been going back to their traditional bread and butter (Bats and Supes). Bats' presence in the sequel I can forgive given they're in a Catch-22. They need to establish Bats for a Justice League film, but doing another solo film is pointless because of Nolan's trilogy. And to be fair, I want to see the World's Finest Team on the big-screen as much as anyone.

Anyway, my point is that throwing Diana into an already crowded mix bodes ill for the attempt to establish a DC cinematic universe. It all but says they're not confident that a Diana solo film would work.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

JME2 wrote:What we're seeing here is the continued fallout from Green Lantern's failure two years ago.

The 2011 film's flop has probably set DC film adaptations back at least a decade. WB studio is too scarred by the financial loss of a B-list character's adaption (and Hal should never have gotten a $250 million budget anyway).
I think they should have seen it coming - not because the Green Lantern is a B-lister but because of his powers. For Superman and Batman it's mostly a question of not falling back on things like Bat Shark Repellant and Rebuild-the-Dam Vision, but that seems baked into the idea of the Green Lanterns' constructs.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Grumman wrote:I think they should have seen it coming - not because the Green Lantern is a B-lister but because of his powers. For Superman and Batman it's mostly a question of not falling back on things like Bat Shark Repellant and Rebuild-the-Dam Vision, but that seems baked into the idea of the Green Lanterns' constructs.

Actually it's mostly because they made a shit film that had nothing in it to make people care about it.

Take, for instance, Thor. Thor was basically the hardest Marvel movie to sell to an audience because it's very silly, he's this guy, right, except he's also a norse god alien wizard with a hammer that shoots lightning.

And when they made a movie of it literally none of that was relevant to the story, which was a story about how the favour of a father turns one brother into a vainglorious braggard and makes the other bitter and jealous, and how the braggard learns humility after that favour is removed.

It's a story that you could tell with literally no fantastical elements at all and it will work, and because you have a story that works the audience will accept all the window dressing and lightning shooting hammers.

It's clear that Thor was the movie that Marvel had the least faith in, comparing its visible budget and scale with Iron Man or Captain America*, but it's the movie that's given them their most enduring cinematic narrative thread (Loki, basically).

Green Lantern didn't have compelling character driven conflict, so there was nothing for the audience to care about and make them willing to accept a man who makes bright green boxing gloves with his mind or whatevs. (though you could still tune the constructs to the nature of the medium).

This is also an ongoing problem with Wonder Woman, because there's so few compelling characters in her stories to build that narrative out of, even to make them up out of whole cloth like they basically did with Thor.

* Also a good example because it was all going so well but the moment it drops the character driven narrative, 80 minutes into the film after the prison camp rescue, the movie wraps its lips around a donkey and sucks for all it's worth. (Because there was no character emnity between Red Skull and Steve Rogers, Red Skull was just a double nazi therefore needed punching, and there was an extended montage of people we don't care about shooting other people we don't care about.)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Which is a failure of the script. They really should have played up the relationship between Hal and Sinestro instead of making them barely interact. Sinestro should have been the one to bring him to Oa, to give him the exposition on the Corps, and he shouldn't have been so hostile to Hal in the training. Give Hal a scene where he is willing to backtalk the Guardians, winning Sinestro's respect. Make Sinestro see this brash Earthman as a a worthy candidate for the Corps as he sees it, even willing to stand up to the bosses.

This would give far more weight to their argument later in the movie over the plan to wield the yellow light. Sinestro's faith in the Corps has been shaken; while in the duel scene he brought up Hal's fear as a weakness now he is feeling fear, and it's driving him into questionable decision making.

As said about Thor, the mechanism of his powers doesn't matter; the story does. The attempt to make the "human" story about the Daddy Issues that Hal, Carol, and Hector all feel didn't work for the scope of the plot they wanted.

*sigh* I really, really regret the decisions they made in GL, even if I still enjoyed the movie. Although I darkly suspect GL would've not done well even if it had been better. Seriously, it came out in a summer season FULL of comic movies. It had no chance to stand out, sandwiched between Thor, X-Men: FC, and Captain America. They really should've gone for the December 2010 or December 2011 release.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Steve wrote:Which is a failure of the script. They really should have played up the relationship between Hal and Sinestro instead of making them barely interact. Sinestro should have been the one to bring him to Oa, to give him the exposition on the Corps, and he shouldn't have been so hostile to Hal in the training. Give Hal a scene where he is willing to backtalk the Guardians, winning Sinestro's respect. Make Sinestro see this brash Earthman as a a worthy candidate for the Corps as he sees it, even willing to stand up to the bosses.
Hal and Sinestro should literally have been the story of GL.

Hal gets the ring, Sinestro turns up to explain what it does/mentor him as a Lantern, they fight, say, the Manhunters who are also being space police but are taking it all a bit too far, Hal follows this up on his own and discovers shock! Sinestro is space Hitler and the Manhunters are him beginning to expand his rule through fear, feeling betrayed by his mentor he has cause to go after him and at the end Sinestro is stripped of his ring and power battery after an Epic Battle. Other notable lanterns appear as supporting cast to establish their relationships with Hal and help him in the Big Final Battle.

Don't include any yellow light, parallax, or any of that. Leave it for the sequels once you have people caring about the characters (then if you managed not to fuck it up you could probably do a duology on the War of Light that includes Sinestro getting the yellow ring and coming back for Wevenge!.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The sad thing is DC does know how to do Green Lantern...sort of. 'First Flight', despite its mediocracy, and despite the fact that it had the yellow ring/lantern angle, still managed to be a massively better movie than the live action Green Lantern.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

First Flight is considered mediocre? I thought it was quite good, excepting perhaps throwing in the Yellow Lantern and Ion at the end.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I rather liked that movie myself, but the general sentiment I got from the rest of the board population was that they considered it pretty 'meh' back when it came out.