Non-American Superheroes

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SMJB
Padawan Learner

Non-American Superheroes

Post by SMJB »

Let's try this again, shall we? I'll tell you what I have, you tell me what should be changed, what could be added, stuff like that.

First, no one ever got around to telling me whether or not "Tarasa" (supposedly meaning "Mercy") was a good idea for an Indian woman with the power of healing, and the question has been complicated since because I've decided she's an Indian Muslim--so would something in Arabic be more appropriate than something in Hindi?

There's a woman and a man from Sierra Leonne. The woman's an anti-hero with strength and toughness who wields a minigun because, like the Terminator, she can. The man is basically an evil Green Lantern. You might recognize these folks from the last thread, and no, those retards' baseless accusations of racism have nothing to do with why I changed their race--I changed hers so that she could be a child soldier in that nation's civil war, and his because I changed her reasoning for wanting to kill him to partially include revenge. Which means he also had to be changed into a mercenary rather than a member of the Taliban, so I guess he's just a generic supervillain now rather than fighting for a cause. Oh, well. (It's that, or reignite the civil war.) They probably won't have superhero names, as they've got no one to protect anymore.

There's also a team of European superheroes who work for Interpol. I haven't really given them much thought, to be honest--they only appear in one "episode", chasing a serial killer who has fled to the States. They'll definitely need superhero names, once I've decided on how many there are, where they all come from, and what their powers are. It is inevitable, due to my pathological hatred for stereotypes, that the most badass amongst them will be French. XD The killer they're chasing is British (or maybe French), has no super-name and no powers, and has killed a number of high-profile supers.

What I'm going for, in an overall sense, is this: While the series mainly takes place in America, I want there to be a rest of the world in the setting, know what I mean? Race, sex, sexual orientation, and sexual identity are easy (for me, at any rate) and there's lots of diversity on those fronts in the series; alien cultures are an area where I could use a little help in, however.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Re: Non-American Superheroes

Post by SMJB »

It suddenly occurs to me that if the man from Sierra Leonne is an international mercenary, there's no reason that he has to be a native of Sierra Leonne at all. So yeah.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Non-American Superheroes

Post by madd0ct0r »

when the series takes place mostly in america, including 1-2 token capes from 3rd world countries with stereotypical backgrounds isn't especially interesting.

Miss Milita is one from the worm series - although she wears an american flag for a mask and has the power of GUNS! its revealed halfway through she's actually a muslim immigrant, who triggered during a brutal civil war as a child. Not a child soldierTM.

The worm series also looks at different countries - mostly by reflecting on how their capes are organized. India has two types the hot and cold. Hot capes are flashy, flamboyant, larger than life characters. The cold capes are incredibly secretive and rather more dangerous. Your interpol idea is a good one. Sierria Leone is less good, unless you want to look at warlords and societies where capes rule through power/fear.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee