Are there any Magical BOY Anime?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Are there any Magical BOY Anime?

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Anyone at all familiar with "Sailor Moon" and such, will be familiar with the 'Magical Girl; concept present in a great deal of anime and manga. The standard stereotypes tend to be:
Teenage or college girl finding some magical device by accident or destiny.
Using said device to 'transform' into (usually) a scantly clad super hero.
Compulsively naming off attacks before using them on bad guys.
Saying some form of "Battle cry" before going into combat.

It is a theme that bass been used countless times, but has me wondering if there has ever been a Magical 'Boy' anime?
Now I know there are plenty of anime with male heroes and transforming super powers. Ronin Warriors comes to mind as a good example...
But I am curious if there has ever been, well, a specifically "girly" version that was much more like the Magical Girl trope?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Are there any Magical BOY Anime?

Post by Eleas »

He-Man? Granted, he doesn't cry out the name of each and every attack, but otherwise...
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Cycloneman
Padawan Learner

Post by Cycloneman »

Would Kämpfer count?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Apart from every shonen fighting series and tokusatsu show ever? I mean the differences between silly fighting shows aimed at girls and those aimed at boys tend to be what happens outside of the fighting after all.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Maybe El-Hazard: The Magnificent World would count?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Are you just looking for the superficial trappings or what? Because at its core, the magical girl genre is made to give girls an empowering and affirming story with characters like themselves in a medium full of material aimed at boys and a society that devalues and punishes femininity (while simultaneously demanding it).

Stuff like attack names and frilly outfits and stuff I could see there being examples of maybe though?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Isn't there a Loki anime that could count as MagiBoy?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I know this doesn't count, especially as it is not an anime (much less if the theme is relevant), but when reading the title I immediately thought of an American cartoon that recently started airing: Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe. Steven has a "crystal gem," whatever that means, protruding from his belly button for some reason. Needs to learn to control his powers so far (seems he should be able to make shields at a whim), as the three ladies who watch over him have (they also have "crystal gems"). Steven's a neat character. Miss Sugar wrote some of the the most memorable and (I dare say) heartening episodes for Adventure Time before leaving to produce this new show. The animation is beautiful. I recommend watching an episode, if you haven't already.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Eleas wrote:He-Man? Granted, he doesn't cry out the name of each and every attack, but otherwise...
OK first off.. THIS Mad me "Lol"
Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Are you just looking for the superficial trappings or what? Because at its core, the magical girl genre is made to give girls an empowering and affirming story with characters like themselves in a medium full of material aimed at boys and a society that devalues and punishes femininity (while simultaneously demanding it).

Stuff like attack names and frilly outfits and stuff I could see there being examples of maybe though?
I guess Initially I was looking for something that might almost be a parody of the normal Magical Girl genre.
Almost something LIKE sailor moon in male format. Really Once I start looking, I found various forms of 'Magical Boy' all over the place. A huge amount of shounen anime and manage it looks like follows similar themes. And "Saint Seiya" Also looks to be quite a bit of what I was after. (I LOVE The costumes they ware in it)

I fully agree with you in terms that the genre is one of the few place in Anime and Japanese culture where females can be heroes or have 'Power'.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I fully agree with you in terms that the genre is one of the few place in Anime and Japanese culture where females can be heroes or have 'Power'.
Well, anime also has hordes of "gun bunnies"; hot girls with impressive firearms and the skills to use them to great effect. However, this is less about giving girls an empowering role model and more about giving boys something to lust after.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Frankly, it does both.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

No, there's a very distinct difference between characters made for heterosexual male gaze and characters made for female identification. Sure, characters of the former variety can be squinted at and molded into something you can pretend is the latter because you're so starving for something of that kind, but for people who actually live that sort of life the difference is quite obvious.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

The closest thing I can to a 'magical boy' anime I can think of is an old series I saw as a kid while visiting Japan called Parman which was about a kid learning to be a superhero with a special helmet giving him powers.