Thor: The Dark World Consequences (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Thor: The Dark World Consequences (spoilers)

Post by Ted C »

This thread is not for discussion of the movie itself, but for its implications on the larger MCU.

For example, in the aftermath of Thor's battle in London, there should be some Dark Elf armor, weapons, and possibly other technology lying around for the taking. I'm guessing that SHIELD moved in as quickly as possible to sweep that stuff up. That equipment presumably doesn't rely on power from the Tesseract or Aether to operate, so it might be possible to develop some new technology from studying it.

Also, Thor is now spending most of his time on Earth, and will presumably continue to do so for decades. SHIELD will now have him to keep tabs on at all times.

Also, Jane Foster (at least) is aware that hidden portals exist between the various "Realms". It wouldn't be a surprise if someone started looking for portals that lead out from Earth.

Anything else?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Thor: The Dark World Consequences (spoilers)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think the next episode of Agents of SHIELD deals with the aftermath of Thor's new adventure.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Ted C wrote:This thread is not for discussion of the movie itself, but for its implications on the larger MCU.
Ted C wrote:For example, in the aftermath of Thor's battle in London, there should be some Dark Elf armor, weapons, and possibly other technology lying around for the taking. I'm guessing that SHIELD moved in as quickly as possible to sweep that stuff up. That equipment presumably doesn't rely on power from the Tesseract or Aether to operate, so it might be possible to develop some new technology from studying it.
Except it should be U.N.I.T. that comes swooping in to sweep up all the pieces anda certain fellow in a blue box popping in to help with stuff. ;) [I joke, but people get the idea.]
Ted C wrote:Also, Thor is now spending most of his time on Earth, and will presumably continue to do so for decades. SHIELD will now have him to keep tabs on at all times.
Indeed yes. Though again it depends on where Jane and Thor stay as to who gets the job of watching things.
Ted C wrote:Also, Jane Foster (at least) is aware that hidden portals exist between the various "Realms". It wouldn't be a surprise if someone started looking for portals that lead out from Earth.
I think the general portal popping problem is now more somewhat resolved with the super alignment finished with for another however many hundreds of thousands of years. So...no more portals than plot requires. :P
Ted C wrote:Anything else?
Yeah...the final 'Easter egg'? What happens to that?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I keep think that it shouldn't be too long before S.W.O.R.D. comes into being if it isn't already since it now appears that the really big threats that S.H.I.E.L.D. is concerned about are coming from off world.

S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department), a much better name than the cinematic breakdown for S.H.I.E.L.D. Although, I guess the "Homeland" part isn't quite as annoying for a global organization if the reason for that part is because they've already recognized threats from other worlds etc... and see Earth as the homeland part. Otherwise I always liked "Headquarters" better for the "H" in the name.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

If you get the first Thor movie on DVD, one of the deleted scenes has them mention SWORD. It's just a small part of Jane's looking for wormholes with a bevy of SHIELD agents and one mentions that SWORD sent over some astronomical data for them to look over.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Aside from S.W.O.R.D., given the location and the use of Britain as a nexus, it's very easy for them to introduce Captain Britain, Excalibur and, even better, MI-13.

Which really could operate as a film akin to the Avengers. Marvel's comic line is doing a push of their British line this year to really show off how many good characters they have over there, so it does make a lot of sense to lay the groundwork for that there.

Of course, I'll be giddy if they manage to get Faizah Hussein on the screen.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Dass.Kapital wrote:
Ted C wrote:Also, Jane Foster (at least) is aware that hidden portals exist between the various "Realms". It wouldn't be a surprise if someone started looking for portals that lead out from Earth.
I think the general portal popping problem is now more somewhat resolved with the super alignment finished with for another however many hundreds of thousands of years. So...no more portals than plot requires. :P
Loki was apparently using hidden portals to move between the Realms well before the convergence started. The convergence causes many more to spontaneously appear, but that appears to be unrelated to the one Loki used to get himself, Thor, and Jane to Svartalfheim.
Dass.Kapital wrote:
Reportedly that is setup for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Or did you mean the loose ice beast? I suppose Thor will have to take care of that as soon as it's reported.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Tsyroc wrote:S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department), a much better name than the cinematic breakdown for S.H.I.E.L.D. Although, I guess the "Homeland" part isn't quite as annoying for a global organization if the reason for that part is because they've already recognized threats from other worlds etc... and see Earth as the homeland part. Otherwise I always liked "Headquarters" better for the "H" in the name.
Maybe they'll be changing it from "Homeland" to "Homeworld".

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Majin Gojira wrote:Aside from S.W.O.R.D., given the location and the use of Britain as a nexus, it's very easy for them to introduce Captain Britain, Excalibur and, even better, MI-13.

Which really could operate as a film akin to the Avengers. Marvel's comic line is doing a push of their British line this year to really show off how many good characters they have over there, so it does make a lot of sense to lay the groundwork for that there.

Of course, I'll be giddy if they manage to get Faizah Hussein on the screen.
Introducing MI-13 would be awesome. Maybe Pete Wisdom could start popping up here and there interacting with S.H.I.E.L.D. Kind of a dick version of Coulson but with super powers. :)

If they do introduce Captain Britain I wonder if they'll go with the standard one or the one from the Ultimate line. They've really been blending the 616 and Ultimate stuff when they make the movies but I'd prefer something more along the lines of the 616 Captain Britain just so he's more unique than the Ultimate version, which had a slew of similar captains representing various EU countries.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Ted C wrote:
Dass.Kapital wrote:
Reportedly that is setup for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Or did you mean the loose ice beast? I suppose Thor will have to take care of that as soon as it's reported.
I sure Thor would love a puppy :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

It's too big to belong to Thor. Hulk would appreciate it, though.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Ted C wrote:Reportedly that is setup for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Heh, though I have to jokingly ask about "Gets reported".

It's knocking over shipping containers! How can people NOT know it tromping around and chasing pigeons? :P
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The biggest piece of fallout that interests me is that Loki's now in control of Asgard. That's bad on so many levels and it's a win-win for the Trickster.

If Thanos comes calling, he can still fulfill his bargain by handing over the Tesseract -- and ally Asgard with Thanos if necessary to save it.

He's also got the military might again to move against Earth -- and you know he's going to go after his brother's allies on Midgard sooner or later.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Majin Gojira wrote:Aside from S.W.O.R.D., given the location and the use of Britain as a nexus, it's very easy for them to introduce Captain Britain, Excalibur and, even better, MI-13.
Excalibur is too closely associated with the X-Men, isn't it? (It certainly was in the early issues.)

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Excalibur was pretty close to it, but when it was revamped into full MI-13 territory, starting with the Wisdom MAX series and continuing with Captain Britain and MI-13, it really spread into its own. Of the team, only Pete Wisdom is a Mutant, and he's no X-man. His powers can easily be explained as tech or he could be made an Inhuman.

The others present in that run include that could easily be made for the Movie Universe:
Captain Britain - He's a must, really. He could be the Iron man of the team, but with a much more reserved personality.
Union Jack - Psuedo Captain America for another nation? Why not! Especially considering how modern Joseph Chapman is compared to Cap.
Meggan - If Brian is there, their romance would be a must as well. Especially as, towards the end of MI-13, she became a lot more powerful and took the name Glorianna. Yes, really. She's the team's Thor.
The Black Knight - Given the various encarnations of the character, it could go in many interesting directions. But one of the most interesting involves:
Excalibur - Faizza Hussein, Doctor of Medicine, muslim and wielder of Excalibur itself. Squire to the Black Knight (and romantic angle). Also, Super Hero Fangirl. She's a great POV character.
Death's Head - Every team needs a Hulk, Yes? Why not go with a Freelance Peacekeeping Enforcer and get him under contract to England?
Pete Wisdom - Our Nick Fury! . . . God help us all.

I'm sure there's a few more that could be thrown in: Spitfire, Captain Midlands, Blade (yes, really), Dark Angel, Digitech, etc. But if they go with the big names, this is the best they can do.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Majin Gojira wrote: Of the team, only Pete Wisdom is a Mutant, and he's no X-man. His powers can easily be explained as tech or he could be made an Inhuman.
Inhumans get no love. They've heavily interacted with the Avengers, Xmen and Fantastic Four, pretty much the three most recognized superhero teams and yet not so much as a cameo. :(

As an aside, if the Spoiler
Tesseract and the Aether are Infinity Gems Stones then which ones are they? I'm guessing the Tesseract with its name is the Space Gem and the Aether is the Power Gem. Any thoughts?
Needs moar dakka
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, Dakka, it's been theorized that Tesseract is Power, and the Æther is Space. The Mind or Soul gem was in Loki's staff, now in the hands of SHIELD, depending on who you talk to.

The question I have is: Who Is The COLLECTOR. Adam, trying to get the gems back in one place? An agent of Thanos? Someone else entirely?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Collector is one of the Elders of the Universe. He's ancient, really powerful, and like all the Elders has a hobby in order to help keep him sane. Three guesses to what his hobby is. Giving him an infinity gem means that it will be very, very secure.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

LadyTevar wrote:Yes, Dakka, it's been theorized that Tesseract is Power, and the Æther is Space. The Mind or Soul gem was in Loki's staff, now in the hands of SHIELD, depending on who you talk to.
I figured the reverse: Tesseract is Space, Aether is Power. The colors fit better that way, as do the effects. Sort of.
Browncoat

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Majin Gojira wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Yes, Dakka, it's been theorized that Tesseract is Power, and the Æther is Space. The Mind or Soul gem was in Loki's staff, now in the hands of SHIELD, depending on who you talk to.
I figured the reverse: Tesseract is Space, Aether is Power. The colors fit better that way, as do the effects. Sort of.
The "Infinity Stones" may not align exactly to the "Infinity Gems". The movies make everything a little different from the comics.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Now that we have confirmation that the Tesseract and Aether are Infinity 'Gems', I'm also very curious to see how they handle the Time Stone in future MCU films.

This has great dramatic potential as most of the Avengers could be tempted by a chance to alter the timeline with the Stone's power.

* Steve: The most obvious. Return to the 1940's, prevent Bucky's 'death', etc.

* Thor: Undo the deaths of Frigga and Loki -- or even prevent Loki's descent into madness.

* Tony: Save Yinsen and prevent the attack on the convoy in Afghanistan.

* Bruce: Prevent the creation of the Hulk.

* Nat: Prevent all of the deaths she was responsible for while working for the Russians.

* Clint: Prevent the deaths he was responsible for during Loki's rampage on Earth.

The price, in each case, would be their personal development over the course of the movies -- to say nothing of how they changed the course of Earth history.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ted C wrote: The "Infinity Stones" may not align exactly to the "Infinity Gems". The movies make everything a little different from the comics.
That sure seems likely.

The Tesseract: Based on it's name and the two incidences where it's been used to warp space make it seem like it could be the "space gem". However, in one of those incidences it was powering a device that opened the wormhole. The rest of the time it was being used to power items, and it was even called a power source. I guess we do know that it's not a wish machine like the Cosmic Cube it resembles. Supposedly producer Kevin Feige has stated it is the "space stone".

The Aether: I'm not really sold on it being the "power gem" but that's probably the most likely. I'm kind of leaning towards it being the "reality gem" in the sense it was going to be used to reset things to the previous reality. If it was powering Kurse then it's definitely the "power stone". Kurse was pounding the crap out of Thor much more than the Hulk even came close to doing.

The gem in Loki's Chitari staff: It's seems most likely to be the "mind gem" but I could see it possibly being the "soul gem". I thought some of the possesors of the soul gem were able to control people in the comics. The mind gem fits the evidence better, including the color. Spoiler
The same interview of Kevin Feige mentions a third stone to be revealed in The Guardians of the Galaxy, which could mean that the gem in the Chitari staff isn't one of the Infinity Stones or at least not one we are supposed to know about at this time.
In The Avengers Loki, Selvig and Barton talk about the Tesseract showing them things. :?: I'm wondering if that's it working in concert with the gem on Loki's staff or solely the Tesseract's doing? In the comics the soul gem had some personality of its own but I don't recall if any of the others did.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

JME2 wrote:Now that we have confirmation that the Tesseract and Aether are Infinity 'Gems', I'm also very curious to see how they handle the Time Stone in future MCU films.

This has great dramatic potential as most of the Avengers could be tempted by a chance to alter the timeline with the Stone's power.

Sounds awfully like character stuff, and character stuff doesn't happen in Avengers. Dudes get punched in Avengers, charater stuff happens in the individual movies. Some of the time. The only consistently character driven one is the first Thor movie and possibly the first Iron Man movie (if we're kind to it an regard Stane as an avatar of the prior self Tony is struggling against, because Iron Man is a Man vs Self story at heart), where everything that happens happens because of the people in the movie, not just to them, there wasn't an external badman doing bad things because he was bad (see: Red Skull, you can tell he's bad because he's a double Nazi), Laufey was doing badness because Thor did badness unto him first because Thor was an idiot, and the driving force of the movie was the relationships between Thor, Loki, and Odin, not "badman wants to do badness, punch him until he is sorry".

If it doesn't happen in Winter Soldier (which is about Steve Rogers adjusting and the ghosts of his past), it probably won't. It'll just be another shiny rock to punch people over.
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

Remind me, what happened to Loki's staff in The Avengers? Is it accounted for?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Probably in a SHIELD vault somewhere, unless it flew off in Manhattan after the big machine was destroyed and some civilian picked it up.