My Little Pony Season 4 (starts 11/23/2013)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: My Little Pony Season 4 (starts 11/23/2013)

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
My take away was that Celestia felt that anypony that fixated on power and glory for her own sake wasn't fit to have it. It was a deliberate test, and Sunset Shimmer failed. You just don't teach that sort of shit to a filly who's too arrogant to follow orders, and who clearly has entitlement issues
Twilight's screw ups were never like that. The whole Want-It, Need-It spell thing was because she felt completely desperate (due to admittedly skewed priorities), not out of ego or malice.

Besides, I don't think she actually disobeyed Celestia's orders in the pilot? She said she would do her royal duty and followed the letter of the orders, and then Nightmare Moon showed up and it became what most people would call "an emergency."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Ralin wrote:Twilight's screw ups were never like that. The whole Want-It, Need-It spell thing was because she felt completely desperate (due to admittedly skewed priorities), not out of ego or malice.
Desperate, but the thing is, she giggles "how it always worked fine before". On who exactly did she used it? Also, it's not the only time she casually did mind wipe, you have that terrible fanfic episode with Discord where Twilight just insists whole time to brainwash him, and Bats, where her insistence to magic the fruit bats into starving nearly 'kills' her friend.

I don't know, Twilight is just very callous in usage of what most magic systems deem most terrible and forbidden kind of spells, never showing restraint or second thoughts.
Besides, I don't think she actually disobeyed Celestia's orders in the pilot? She said she would do her royal duty and followed the letter of the orders, and then Nightmare Moon showed up and it became what most people would call "an emergency."
Letter, yes. Was it very different to Sunset just asking again next day? I don't think. Sunset had ego, yes, but Twilight has her detachedness and utter lack of social restraints. The only difference seems to be that Twilight had slavish deference to Celestia.

Something that Celestia apparently liked so much it never occurred to her to tell Twilight to take a break if she needs it. Instead, Twilight was all but conditioned to do anything to please her, like mind wiping whole village, just to produce a letter on time limit that was never explicitly set.
Twilight got out on her own, and maybe celestia learned from her mistakes.
Got out on her own in end of S3, yes. In 'Want It Need It' case she nearly ruined everything for everyone and acted like villain of the week, prompting most powerful pony in the kingdom to throw everything and run to stop her. In many other cases, Twilight was only saved by convenient spell of the week which for some reason always was in small village library.

Maybe I just say it because I prefer S1 snarky Twilight to S2-4 butt monkey writers made her, but I really don't like most of the ways of solving plots involving her. For someone personally tutored by Celestia (if we treat the comics that have huge school of 'personally students' ponies as non canon...) she just seems to be forcibly dragged down to level of other protagonists.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Irbis wrote:
Ralin wrote:Twilight's screw ups were never like that. The whole Want-It, Need-It spell thing was because she felt completely desperate (due to admittedly skewed priorities), not out of ego or malice.
Desperate, but the thing is, she giggles "how it always worked fine before". On who exactly did she used it? Also, it's not the only time she casually did mind wipe, you have that terrible fanfic episode with Discord where Twilight just insists whole time to brainwash him, and Bats, where her insistence to magic the fruit bats into starving nearly 'kills' her friend.

I don't know, Twilight is just very callous in usage of what most magic systems deem most terrible and forbidden kind of spells, never showing restraint or second thoughts.
Letter, yes. Was it very different to Sunset just asking again next day? I don't think. Sunset had ego, yes, but Twilight has her detachedness and utter lack of social restraints. The only difference seems to be that Twilight had slavish deference to Celestia.

Something that Celestia apparently liked so much it never occurred to her to tell Twilight to take a break if she needs it. Instead, Twilight was all but conditioned to do anything to please her, like mind wiping whole village, just to produce a letter on time limit that was never explicitly set.
Twilight got out on her own, and maybe celestia learned from her mistakes.
Got out on her own in end of S3, yes. In 'Want It Need It' case she nearly ruined everything for everyone and acted like villain of the week, prompting most powerful pony in the kingdom to throw everything and run to stop her. In many other cases, Twilight was only saved by convenient spell of the week which for some reason always was in small village library.

Maybe I just say it because I prefer S1 snarky Twilight to S2-4 butt monkey writers made her, but I really don't like most of the ways of solving plots involving her. For someone personally tutored by Celestia (if we treat the comics that have huge school of 'personally students' ponies as non canon...) she just seems to be forcibly dragged down to level of other protagonists.
Twilight was never as rude or egotistical as sunset. When sunset was offered to hang out she rudely insults them. Twilight tries to be polite about it. With Discord it was largely because well....it's discord. They had to reform him and twilight had understandable doubts. Fortunately Fluttershy made it unnecessary. Also Twilight is horrified after she realizes what she did to her friends.

When did she giggle about how it worked fine before?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

When did she giggle about how it worked fine before?
"The Want-It, Need-It spell. Works every time!"

The implication being that she had used that spell in the past. Whether it was to lure away guards on the forbidden wing of the library or as a prank on her brother we have no clue.

Personally my money is on Cadance either teaching it to her or it being derived from watching Cadance use her special talent.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Darth Yan wrote:Twilight was never as rude or egotistical as sunset.
How much rudeness was fault of Sunset, and how much her teacher? Because to me the comic made Celestia do rather poor job of her overall upbringing. Seeing Sunset in EG2, it honestly starts to look she just isn't egotistical by nature and old Sunset might be even majority Celestia's fault.

As for Twilight, she might not be rude (though her initial S1 behaviour "everyone else here is insane" was skirting it) but the problem is, she just lacks any... 'brakes'. Like kid that might catch a frog and start dissecting it according to his anatomy book. That struck me as kind of problematic with someone having mind control powers.
With Discord it was largely because well....it's discord. They had to reform him and twilight had understandable doubts.
Doubts might be understandable, but defaulting to brainwashing looks more like villain, not hero thing. Plus, had it even small chance of working, I am sure Celestia would have done it first - unless, of course, it would have been wrong thing to do.

I just think it's another yet case where Twilight just set on a course without really thinking of consequences - had it been another genre, amateur spellcaster trying to do it to Discord would just make him angry and beyond any hope of redeeming any time soon.

Being horrified after the fact is well and good, but you'd expect some mandatory Magic OSHA classes before even touching mind control spells with big red banner spelling "when in doubt, don't do it' beaten into the students. If that didn't happen in universe, the whole system just begs to produce spectacular crashes and Darwin Awards.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Doubts might be understandable, but defaulting to brainwashing looks more like villain, not hero thing. Plus, had it even small chance of working, I am sure Celestia would have done it first - unless, of course, it would have been wrong thing to do.
I am skeptical of the idea that magical brainwashing is worse than spending over a thousand years as a fully conscious statue. And Twilight had an extra thousand years worth of magical knowledge and research to draw on that Celestia hadn't the first time around. And really, it stands to reason that the magic nerd is going to make it a point to research a way to use magic to stop Discord if he ever gets free again
(though her initial S1 behaviour "everyone else here is insane" was skirting it)
Dude, "Everypony in this town is CRAZY!" is a pretty accurate description of Ponyville.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Ralin wrote:I am skeptical of the idea that magical brainwashing is worse than spending over a thousand years as a fully conscious statue. And Twilight had an extra thousand years worth of magical knowledge and research to draw on that Celestia hadn't the first time around. And really, it stands to reason that the magic nerd is going to make it a point to research a way to use magic to stop Discord if he ever gets free again
Yes, and that's why it ever had been realistic option, Celestia would have tried it. For example when he first broke free in S2. If neither of 3 Princesses, one of which has exceptional talent in manipulating people, managed to do anything about him, then maybe Twilight was just wrong in trying to do so (and she didn't even try to do research, but went usual "look for convenient spell" route). Especially seeing she is still amateur (not close to "highest class unicorn") by her own words.
Dude, "Everypony in this town is CRAZY!" is a pretty accurate description of Ponyville.
Yes, but shouting it into their faces is rude :P
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

And Twilight fails to notice that she's in "this town", too. :D

"But I don't want to go among mad ponies," Twilight remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the pink one. "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Twilight.

"You must be," said the pink one, "or you wouldn't have come here."
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Irbis wrote: Yes, but shouting it into their faces is rude :P
She shouted it to Spike in the privacy of her own bedroom.
And Twilight fails to notice that she's in "this town", too. :D
Where's that image macro of all the ponies' crazy faces in season one...
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Ralin wrote:She shouted it to Spike in the privacy of her own bedroom.
You mean the full party room? :twisted:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Irbis wrote:
Ralin wrote:She shouted it to Spike in the privacy of her own bedroom.
You mean the full party room? :twisted:

She's upstairs in some kind of loft, and at the far end of the room at that. And the party was pretty loud. I doubt any pony could hear her.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Official video, start at 16:20? :|
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Irbis wrote:Official video, start at 16:20? :|
Oh, that. Well I said the line I thought you were referring to.

Anyway, she clearly thought she and Spike were alone. With good reason since... not like she knew Pinkie Pie at this point
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So, there's this now:

Spoiler
Communist villain making everyone around 'equal' (look at 0:38 and 0:40) that totally doesn't look like recoloured clone of Trixie? :P
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's a Season 5 coming?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

LadyTevar wrote:There's a Season 5 coming?
Hmm? :|

Anyway, next trailer:

And not one, but two big announcements :wink:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote:There's a Season 5 coming?
Last I heard they said they were aiming at seven to nine seasons