Thor : The Dark World [ spoilers will be covered]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Thor : The Dark World [ spoilers will be covered]

Post by Ahriman238 »

Finally saw. Not much like I was expecting. Do have a few nitpicks.
Spoiler
When I saw GI Joe, I couldn't separate Eccleston mentally from the Doctor. Here, I had zero problems on that front. Having his half black, half-white face be a burn scar from Thor's lightning? Brilliant. My only nitpick is that he didn't feel like the sorcerer-king feared throughout the Realms, the spellcaster every inch an equal to Loki and the Norn Queen. His options seemed to be fisticuffs or use the Aether on 0.000000001% power. Generally a lot more sci-fi than magic.

Speaking of, I loved the magic-tech of Asgard, the forcefields with celtic knot-work, the lightsaber-quality blades, even those big AA towers and flying longboats.

Kurse was very nearly perfect. The one thing I missed was the aspect where he continually grows and mutates. Also, his iron weakness (and all the Dark Elves') was noticeably absent. But that's probably for the best, it could have easily killed all drama to the resolution.

Oh my god, that big rock-man Thor one-shots in the first five minutes? That's one of the rock-aliens from the original Thor comic in Journey into Mystery! It fit in seamlessly. I love it!

I was worried this new move wouldn't give Heimdall a chance to be badass. Instead he got two.

It does seem weird the little blade ships have no weapons except flying into things.

Did anyone else groan when Selvig starts drawing ley lines on a map, because clearly ancient cultures coordinated to show future generations the location of this one-off event? Or when Jane finds the sealed evil in a can and can only think to poke it?

I don't know why, all the character moments in this movie really, really worked.

The Dark Elves' technology looked a lot like Man of Steel, with maybe a touch more Giger influence, which concerns me just a tiny bit.

King Loki on the throne and Thor on earth, ring around the rosie and we're right back where we started except this time Thor is clueless. Well, Loki would argue that Thor is always clueless.

I wonder how much SHIELD and the general public know, besides "Thor beat down bad-guys." For some reason, Jane didn't want them getting wind of the initial anomalies.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Well the last time Jane was researching these types of anomalies SHEILD came in and stole all her equipment so ... uh ... yeah ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I keep expecting to find out that Darcy's intern will turn out to be an undercover SHEILD agent there to keep tabs on Jane, her research , and any contact she might have with Thor.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Spoiler
A question that occurred to me; who would have authoriesed the actions taken in the final scene? It seems unlikely Loki would give away such power. But the Asgardians did seem aware (my memory may be fuzzy here) of the dangers of keeping the Aether in the same place as the Tesseract, and they do have the Infinity Gauntlet so perhaps Loki is worried about Asgard being too rich a target for Thanos?

My other theory is that Loki-Odin didn't order it given to the collector and Sif and Volstagg suspect something and did that on their own. Either way it would seem Sif and Volstagg at the least weren't incarcerated for their part in Thor's plan.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Sure, but they did apologize, return her gear and ultimately I thought they were working with her now.
Spoiler
I take Sif and Voltstagg's trip in the after-credits as evidence (tenuous, granted) that Loki didn't gank or imprison Odin but was just impersonating him during a bathroom break or something to get rid of Thor.

Which does raise a question relevant in either case. What would Loki have done if when he offered Thor the crown, he said "Sure thing, Dad! I swear I'll be a wise and just king in your image."
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Spoiler
Loki can read Thor like a book, from what we've seen. He wouldn't have made the offer if he thought Thor would take it. As far as Thor's friends go, Loki doesn't seem to be out to hurt as many people as possible so much as to get as much power as possible. If he thought that the best way to keep Thor and company in line was to pardon them he'd do that. He's a treacherous, manipulative little shit, but he's not an idiot. We'll see what he ends up doing down the line.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Spoiler
As I see it, Loki already has what he wants. He's got the throne of Asgard, he's fooled Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three. He has pretty much gotten exactly what he wants; why risk it for petty revenge? Living well is its own reward.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Half the fun of beating someone is having them know they're beaten.....
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Sure, its fun to rub your victory in your opponents face, but Loki is probably also walking around with a ton of guilt that his casual comment to the Kursed resulted in Freya's death.

There is a good chance that Loki will use his hold of the throne to reinforce Asgard to further protect himself from Thanos and try at least in the beginning to be good before his mischievous nature gets the better of him.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Spoiler
Uhmmm...did Odin really get disappeared?

Or was Loki just sort of getting rid of Thor by being Odin for five minutes? I'm just wondering.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
If Odin wasn't taken care of in some way, how was he separated from his staff for Loki to have it?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Spoiler
Now you're adding even more things to the plot that just don't make sense. What's more believable? Loki pulls a five minute con to get rid of Thor, or Loki somehow in the middle of a faked death, also manages to get rid of Odin completely and utterly without a trace? This isn't exactly something that's been within his purview before. The con, however, is. Getting the staff for five minutes, I can see.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Right after the Dark Elf attack there is a moment where Odin appears to show physical pain, Thor notices and looks concerned but it pretty much ends there.

I think Loki pulled his routine because Odin was so weakened by events and distraught over Freya's death that he fell into a sudden and unexpected Odin Sleep. This allowed Loki to step in, grab the staff, and do his impersonation, without having to "do" anything to Odin other than help him to bed.

Heck, Odin might have collapsed into the Odin Sleep upon hearing the guard tell him that Loki's body was found. It is clear from his tone that Odin still loved Loki like a son. The loss of Loki AND Freya might have been enough to push him into Odin Sleep right then and there. Conveniently Loki disguised as the guard with no one else around carries Odin to his bed, takes his staff and walks out as Odin with no one in the palace the wiser.

Another thought, the last time we saw Odin in his sleep he was in bed with some energy field around him. I would assume this was some sort of recharging field renewing his strength. If Odin was to fall into his sleep and Loki hid him somewhere but without his energy regenerating system then its possible that the sleep will last a very very long time and Loki gets to be in charge for quite a while before Odin wakes up, assuming he ever wakes up.

This could be a plot point in a future movie, find Odin locked in some room in a bed in a coma like sleep because he has nothing to regenerate his power.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Can we write a whole movie off screen while we're at it?
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Gaidin wrote:Can we write a whole movie off screen while we're at it?
Not a whole movie, just a 5 minute throw back scene in the next movie showing Odin collapsing, Loki catching him, then jump to another scene of Odin asleep in a bed with Loki talking to himself saying something along the lines of "lets see how long you sleep now FATHER without your precious regenerator", then Loki picks up spear and walks out of the room as you see him morphing into Odin.

Questions all answered in one quick scene. Probably wouldn't even be 5 minutes.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'll just point out the obvious; you guys are assuming that a guy who can create illusions and alter his appearance at will is holding the real staff.

Carry on.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Crown wrote:I'll just point out the obvious; you guys are assuming that a guy who can create illusions and alter his appearance at will is holding the real staff.

Carry on.
When Loki dropped his illusion after Thor left he was still holding the spear, why drop all the other illusions and maintain that one?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maybe Loki picked up a prop one when he appeared at San Diego Comic Con?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Replicant wrote:
Crown wrote:I'll just point out the obvious; you guys are assuming that a guy who can create illusions and alter his appearance at will is holding the real staff.

Carry on.
When Loki dropped his illusion after Thor left he was still holding the spear, why drop all the other illusions and maintain that one?
Fair point.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

FaxModem1 wrote:Maybe Loki picked up a prop one when he appeared at San Diego Comic Con?
Naw, half the Meat at Comic Con is from the future, they would have surely noticed. :mrgreen:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Spoiler
Of course, when Odin was in his sleep in the first film I think the only other person there was Frigga; with her dead there's no-one else to watch over him. It would stand to reason that Loki would seek to keep him asleep as long as possible without letting him know, otherwise he's gonna be real pissed when he wakes.

Anyone else notice the others were hinting that Thor should get with Sif? I know I would :mrgreen:
I'd certainly put Jaimie Alexander in the same league as Kat Dennings :D
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Spoiler
Of course, when Odin was in his sleep in the first film I think the only other person there was Frigga; with her dead there's no-one else to watch over him. It would stand to reason that Loki would seek to keep him asleep as long as possible without letting him know, otherwise he's gonna be real pissed when he wakes.

Anyone else notice the others were hinting that Thor should get with Sif? I know I would :mrgreen:
I'd certainly put Jaimie Alexander in the same league as Kat Dennings :D

Maybe Thor is just getting a quickie (by Asgardian standards) with Jane, under the assumption he has plenty of time to decide to be with Sif. :)

If Thor can expect to live approximately another 5 thousand years (per Loki's comments in the movie) then even staying with Jane the rest of her life wouldn't be much time at all for him. Loki's statement also makes me think that Asgardians look at millenia about the same way we look at a decade.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Mark my words, Thor will find a way to prolong Jane's life. Possibly with the infinity gauntlet. :P (I am in no way serious about this, though it wouldn't surprise me if they did pull this)
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Gaidin wrote:Can we write a whole movie off screen while we're at it?
Alright, just remember you asked for it.

THOR II- the Dark World Interlude: Loki is awesome (and sets up the MCU)

INTRO: Throne room, where a disguised LOKI has just informed ODIN of his 'death.'

ODIN- "Oh, no. Loki, my poor stupid son, where did I go wrong? Did I not love you enough, I never even got to tell-HGGGH!"

ODIN clutches his chest and collapses to the floor, gasping for breath. LOKI kneels by his side.

LOKI- "Let me help you (whispers) Father."

ODIN stares uncomprehendingly at the random guard before passing out. LOKI opens a hidden panel on the throne room steps, revealing a compartment easily twice the size of a man, and half filled with caskets.

LOKI- "Here we go, Mother can't look for you, and Thor never found your secret ale stash. Sleep now, Father, and when you wake a few years, hence, you'll find a new world. All of them. New Worlds."

LOKI shuts the comatose ODIN away and assumes his appearance.

LOKI- "now what am I missing?"

-break-

Enter MUSPELHEIM, a realm of fire. The king of this realm, SURTUR sits on a skyscraper-sized throne, which is on fire. SURTUR is a massive demonic figure. On a ledge over a sea of fire stands THOR, facing the king of the Fire Giants.

THOR- "King of the Fire Giants, more like kings of the losers! Hey Surtur, your mother was a Svartheim whore and your father was my father's horse! You look a bit warm, have a drink!"

THOR picks up a tankard and throws the contents towards SURTUR's face. it doesn't get far and boils on the way down into the fire-pit.

THOR- "I'm going now, if you want to do something about that, come find me on Midgard, you big flaming wuss."

THOR walks out and turns back into LOKI.

LOKI- "well, it's a start."

-break-

A richly appointed room on ASGARD with a spacious deck and lots of gauzy curtains. A beautiful woman is lounging on a couch sipping wine from a goblet. Enter THOR.

THOR- "Amora the Enchantress! What have you been up to lately?"

AMORA- "Why, Thor I have no idea what you're talking about."

THOR- "So many trips to Valhalla, staying out of the way of recent events, marshaling such resources, you wouldn't want the throne would you?"

AMORA- "A throne is but a chair. Perhaps I might be interested if such a chair was occupied by an... interesting individual."

THOR- "What makes you think you could keep up with me? I'm heir to the oldest throne in the cosmos, and I've literally grown up with the personification of intrigue. No, Amora, if you want the man who will sit on the Throne of Asgard, you will have to be a great deal subtler." (pauses) "But there is some merit in you yet, impress me enough and you may yet be my consort."

AMORA- "What of Sif, or your mortal plaything?"

THOR- "There's a good place to start impressing me."

-break-

JOTUNHEIM, still bleak and frozen as ever. THOR is pounding on a patch of ice with ODIN's spear.

THOR- "YMIR! Wakey, wakey! Universe at stakey!

The ground behind THOR cracks, revealing a monstrous eye easily the size of a lake.

YMIR-"WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER!"

THOR- "Not telling! Come and find me, on Midgard!"

-break-

A PARK on EARTH. A man (ARTHUR BLACKWOOD) is handing out flyers, but people don't seem interested. CLOSE-UP on a flier reveals it's for a church revival meeting.

ARTHUR- "People are all willing to believe in ancient gods again, but not the real one. What gives?"

A HOMELESS MAN on a park bench sits up and speaks.

HOBO- "People believe what they see, man. Thor fought in New York and where was your God when there were aliens zipping every which way? Faith is no good against what you can see, and your faceless, nameless God seems pretty lame compared to the one saving people's lives."

ARTHUR-"God is real! He saves peoples souls!"

HOBO-"An' when was the last time you saw a soul saved? I saw Thor save dozens of people on the telly."

ARTHUS- "ARRRGH! He's a false idol! I will prove that the pretender is no match for a man of the True Faith!"

ARTHUR stroms off to pray and find a nifty suit of armor. HOBO takes a swig from his bottle.

HOBO-"exactly as planned. And while I'm on Earth..."

-break-

PRISON GYM where dozens of large men are lifting weights, one is using a punching bag. Suddenly LOKI appears besides PUNCHING BAG GUY.

LOKI- "Hit that bag enough times, maybe people won't think you are one."

PUNCHING BAG GUY-"Huh? Where'd you come from? What's wit the get-up?"

LOKI- "Nevermind that now. You, Crusher Creel, are special you have been chosen by a god to receive a very special gift. Hold out your hand."

CREEL looks skeptical, but does so. LOKI hands him a plant.

CREEL-"I can get weed just fine on my own thanks."

LOKI-"It's not weed! It's a magical herb of untold power!"

CREEL-"I don't do new drugs 'til I see what they do to someone else first. HEY BO!"

Another guy across the gym starts to wander over.

LOKI-"It's not like that! Look, eat the plant and you'll have the power you need to escape this prison, and never be caged again. All you need to do is promise to beat up this blond jock for me."

BO draws closer, CREEL looks indecisive, before steeling his nerve and gulping down the plant.

CREEL-"That's got a kick to it, alright."

CREEL leans against the wall, suddenly his hand turns to stone. All of CREEL turns to stone.

CREEL-"This is the weirdest trip I ever-"

LOKI-"It's not a trip, you idiot! Look just walk to the wall, it can't stop you and neither can the guards. Whatever happened to this world that no one trusts strangers offering them untold power anymore?"

LOKI vanishes as CREEL starts wrecking the place and giggling.

-break-

A ritzy hotel room on EARTH, LOKI is kneeling before a figure of smoke and shadows, the dreaded NORN QUEEN.

LOKI-"So that's a deal then. You get the Frost Giant's fancy gift-box from Odin's Vault, and I get the physical might to finally match my brother and protect myself from the Chitauri and their master. Done and done. Here you go."

LOKI hands over the CASKET OF ANCIENT WINTERS, which vanishes in a flash.

NORN QUEEN-"Our pact is struck, Godling. Back in five, I kinda need the Norn Stones for this sort of thing."

The figure fades away. LOKI whistles a jaunty tune to himself until a BURGLAR conks him over the head.

BURGLAR- "Weird helmet, man. Mind if I borrow this instead of looting the place for some reason?"

The BURGLAR takes LOKI's helmet, not being Tom Hiddleston, he looks freaking ridiculous. Suddenly smoke billows from the corner again, taking the form of the NORN QUEEN.

NORN QUEEN- "Loki! I have returned to deliver my end of the bargain and- come on, you can't have had time to dye your hair and grow a few days beard."

BURGLAR- "Umm... looks can be deceiving?"

NORN QUEEN- "You and your masks and games, I wouldn't have known you but for your helmet. Fine. Stand inside the circle there and receive unimaginable power, or don't, I'm on a tight clock here."

BURGLAR-"Well, I do like power."

The BURGLAR steps into the circle and the special effects budget is blown with a sequence that resembles, but clearly isn't, the transformation sequence from Brother Bear.

BURGLAR-" Wow, I feel so strong! There's nothing I can't do, nobody I can't beat! Nothing I can't WRECK! Thanks, Babe."

BURGLAR leaves the room and the NORN QUEEN dissolves. LOKI slowly wakes.

LOKI-"This time, I'm really swearing off the Alfheim vintages. I mean it. Oh, my poor head. Hey, where's the Queen?"

LOKI performs a brief ritual, summoning once more the dread NORN QUEEN.

LOKI-"O Great Queen, I have fulfilled my end of our bargain. Now I ask that you fulfill yours."

NORN QUEEN- "If there's one thing I hate worse than a welcher, it's someone who demands payment twice. You got your prize, now bother me no more."

The NORN QUEEN disperses in a huff.

LOKI-"... The Hell? What the Me-damned Hell?"

-break-

A mysterious DESERT where Thor is throwing rocks at a large rocky ridge. SUDDENLY, a man-sized EYE cracks open on the rock-face.

FAFNIR THE DRAGON- "Didn't you already do this 'landscape turns out to be a creature' visual gag?"

THOR- "Yeah, but this time it'll remind people of the Hobbit. Anyways you overgrown skink! If you'd like a challenge instead of wandering the Niffleheim wastes, come find me on Earth!"

THOR vanishes in the Bifrost effect. FAFNIR rolls over and idly scratches, displacing enough sand to bury a small town.

FAFNIR-"How sad is it that I'm bored enough to look into this, even knowing this guy isn't on the level?"

-break-

THRONE ROOM shortly after THOR wanders off back to EARTH.

LOKI-"Still alright down there, Father?"

ODIN lets loose the mighty ODINSNORE.

LOKI-"Sleep it off, you'll be fine. Now let's see. Getting Amora on board gets the Executioner too. Who is missing? Not doing the comic-relief giants, am I allowed to know about Uncle Serpent or are we pretending Fear Itself never happened? Ah, drat it, that's plenty anyways. Now the third movie will be way too crowded to end with Thor beating me up, so they'll have to leave that for a fourth film. Long live the franchise!"