X-Men: Days of Future Past (Trailer)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crown
NARF

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Trailer)

Post by Crown »

Trailer is out;

Deposit your Nerdgasms here people.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Trailer)

Post by Ted C »

Doesn't look much like the comic storyline I read way back in the day.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Droooool... :D
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I was kind of hoping to see lots and lots of sentinels in the future timeline. Maybe they'll still be there but so far this trailer is not exactly floating my boat. I wasn't going to bother seeing this one in the theater and this trailer hasn't changed that. It's probably made me even more likely to wait until video.

Completely opposite to what the Captain America: The Winter Soldier trailer did. I was hesitant about watching that one in the theater until the trailer looked far better than I was expecting. So now I am probably going to see that one in the theater.

So far the best thing this trailer has going for it is the combination of the good parts of the two casts. Otherwise not looking all that good. It has me curious about a few bits but not that much.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think I saw Rachel/Hound, daughter of Cyclops and Phoenix. I do like the Urban-chic Storm. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think I saw Rachel/Hound, daughter of Cyclops and Phoenix. I do like the Urban-chic Storm. :)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

This trailer left me going... what?
My only exposure to this storyline is the X-men cartoons so I expect giant three story tall purple robots with laser eyes. Instead I get all sorts of crazy visual sand quick pans with quick cuts so I have no idea what's going on. But I think Magneto was the gunman on the grassy knoll... also purple alien shape changer was secretly Nixon the whole time.

Or something...

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Mr Bean wrote:This trailer left me going... what?
My only exposure to this storyline is the X-men cartoons so I expect giant three story tall purple robots with laser eyes. Instead I get all sorts of crazy visual sand quick pans with quick cuts so I have no idea what's going on. But I think Magneto was the gunman on the grassy knoll... also purple alien shape changer was secretly Nixon the whole time.

Or something...
I have never read the story itself, but as I understand it, the premise is basically this: Spoiler
The anti-mutant sentiment has developed into a full-blown war between humans and mutants a fair few years into the future, with Sentinels being used to hunt and destroy mutants worldwide. In the comic storyline, Kitty Pryde is sent back through time to stop the war before it ever began, but it looks as though Wolverine will be the one who quantum leaps in the movie.
Looking at the trailer, it's quite clear you need to know what DOFP is about to understand it, but overall I like what I see. I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing the smushing together of the two continuities, and hopefully they can at least partially resolve the continuity migraine that is the Fox-Men.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Okay, so what was the music from? I think I recognized the last section but can't remember it...

Never mind, it's one of the top comments:

1) John Murphy-Adagio in D Minor
2.) Hans Zimmer- Journey to the Line
3.) Hans Zimmer- Edited Variation of "Time"

So I liked it. I have very little recollection of this storyline aside from a little bit from the 90s animated series, maybe. Which means I have zero expectations on how it'll be adapted so there's that.

I like what I see. Would be cool if Kitty Pryde could get a leading role but I know why they'd go with Hugh Jackman instead. Kind of reminds me of "Wolverine and the X-Men" in a way (except this is old!Wolverine going back instead of current!Wolverine getting visions and stuff) and that series worked out rather well.

I wonder how much of the future X-Men we'll get to see in action. Nice to know that they've gone ahead and reunited the cast, though. Kudos to them for that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Nice, I enjoyed that trailer. I remember the DoFP storyline in broad strokes, but it was a few years before I actually read X-Men comics regularly. Hope this movies lives up to it though.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I think Cap will be the one to get my money, just going off of the trailers. That said, "Surface of the Sun" makes any trailer much more grandiose in scale.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

An important thing to note is that the movie isn't anywhere close to out yet, which means the effects are likely nowhere near complete. None of those shots used in the trailer were effects shots, which undoubtedly includes the sentinels.

I like what I see overall. It will be interesting to see how they get the two continuities to match up. I absolutely adored the First Class Charles and Magneto, and will go see it just to see a continuation of their characters.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Was a big fan of the original storyline (less so with all the repeats and returns, and the whole character of Bishop) and somewhat enthused about the movie. But now it looks like future Wolverine becoming the mentor to a bitter and angry young Xavier, with long hair, even! That doesn't gel particularly well with nay version of this, and certainly not with First Class.

Will still see it, I suppose, but I'm feeling a good deal less hopeful.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I can see the bitter and angry young Xavier working within the context of First Class. He ended the movie still being fairly optimistic, but he still had what was effectively his adoptive sister walk out on him to be with his close friend who had just turned on him, all when he had just been paralyzed from the waist down and the two biggest superpowers effectively ended the Cold War specifically to try to kill him and his friends. Just having the deal with the paralysis can wear on a person over time.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Where's Justin Hayward?

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

X-MEN: DOFP Writer On Why Logan, Not Kitty, Was Chosen To Go Back To The Past

Relevant bit:
"We made the decision for a lot of reasons, some of them obvious and some of them more nuanced, to make it Wolverine who goes back in time. One reason is that he's the protagonist of the franchise, and probably the most beloved character to a mass audience. Probably the bigger reason is that when we started thinking about the logistical realities of Kitty's consciousness being sent back in time, to her younger self, as opposed to her physical body being sent back..it was impossible. Obviously in the book it's Kitty..but you're talking about an actress (Ellen Page) who, in the age of Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy, would have been negative 20 years old. So we started thinking again, and the first reflex response to that was a character who doesn't age. Wolverine is the only character who would looks the same in 1973 as he does in the future."
Well, at least he acknowledges that it was, in part, based on Wolverine Publicity.

I don't know about the comics, though, was it the same thing with just her consciousness going back, or was it actually her? Because if that's at least something they maintained from the comics I think it is justified since they decided to set it in the First Class timeline rather than the time of the original movies. Sure they could have changed it to sending her body back if they really wanted to, but I imagine that's where the "Wolverine rulez" would have kicked in, assuming they tossed that idea around.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I must admit, I'm impressed by how long the Fox-men have been going now, despite the varying quality in films. 13-14 years is a stupidly long time for a CBM franchise, it's outlived a whole Spiderman trilogy, two Fantastic 4 films, and it already had a trilogy under its belt when the concept of a cohesive Marvel universe was still being developed. Not to mention that it was basically the series that brought CBM's back from the dead after the likes of Batman and Robin.
And with DOFP, X-force and another Wolverine in development, it looks to be going for a few more years yet...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

RogueIce wrote: Well, at least he acknowledges that it was, in part, based on Wolverine Publicity.

I don't know about the comics, though, was it the same thing with just her consciousness going back, or was it actually her? Because if that's at least something they maintained from the comics I think it is justified since they decided to set it in the First Class timeline rather than the time of the original movies. Sure they could have changed it to sending her body back if they really wanted to, but I imagine that's where the "Wolverine rulez" would have kicked in, assuming they tossed that idea around.
In the comics it was her consciousness that moved through time and not her body.

At the time present day Kitty Pryde was 13 years old and brand new at the school, just really starting to learn about her powers. When 40 something Kate mind jumps back the changes in how she talks and moves are noticeable, especially to Wolverine, but she's still in the 13 year old Kitty's body. In the future, Kitty Pryde is essentially unconscious the whole time although later on she says she remembers Rachel Summers (now Grey) looking after her. Rachel eventually physically comes back in time (and technically switches realities or time lines as well.) but that's a bit later and probably the beginning of the PTB starting to milk the story.

So there's change in the structure of the story so they can use the X-Men: First Class cast with the cast from the other movies. If they used the standard cast and then went forward from there I think it would be tough. I already had some minor issues with how old Magneto had to have been to been an early teen in the 40s. I don't know how much further in the future they can go with him without having to explain why he's still alive.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.