Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer

Post by Vendetta »

Civil War Man wrote:If I were able to provide input on the story direction, I'd have main plot of the movie be a SHIELD civil war (though, from what the trailers revealed, this may already effectively be the case).
Spoiler
As far as I've heard, that's basically the case. Robert Redford's character is the leader of the world council that Fury was arguing with throughout most of Avengers, I would very much suspect he's running Winter Soldier to try and remove Fury and bring SHIELD in line

Me, I'd have had him running HAMMER as a parallel organisation to replace SHIELD with.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

JME2 wrote:
Civil War Man wrote:If I were able to provide input on the story direction, I'd have main plot of the movie be a SHIELD civil war (though, from what the trailers revealed, this may already effectively be the case). It's already well established that Fury is at odds with a lot of very high-level people. And as authoritarian as Fury is, they seem to think his methods are not extreme enough. So, were it up to me, I'd have the bad guys be a research arm of SHIELD or the military who go rogue in a fashion similar to Hydra in the first movie. Maybe even have the organization founded by Hydra scientists recruited by the US government after the war (First Avenger didn't reveal what happened to Zola after the war, for instance). In this case, Winter Soldier would be their Anti-Captain. A symbol meant to terrorize instead of inspire, a killer instead of a protector, etc.

It'd fit with his general theme of a struggle between his idealistic view of what America should be versus the realities of what modern America is.
It would also be a nice touch if they had links to the conspiracy from Iron Man 3.
With Ultron as the foe in Avengers 2, reportedly, it wouldn't surprise me.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It would make sense given all of the Phase 2 films have to set up some element of the Avenger's reunion.

The big exception, however, is looking to be Guardians. I'm guessing that's the oddball out in favor of developing the long-term Thanos subplot.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Just saw the trailer as part of the TDW Blu-ray that I just watched, really looking forward to it. Of course just being a month away it's not long to wait- it looks like they're going to blow up a helicarrier.

They're including Black Widow but not Hawkeye? Guess he wasn't interesting enough in the end :lol: Seems they're tying this film more closely to the events in The Avengers than IM3 and Thor 2.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hawkeye got replaced with Falcon I believe. The rumour being because Jeremy Renner said some negative things about being in Avengers. (expressing disappointment Hawkeye was a villian for a good part of the film)
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I find it annoying that Renner can't express annoyance at the situation. It's a fair complaint- which from what I could find was 'I signed on to play Hawkeye, not robotic arrow assassin' which he spends a good portion of the movie as. He did get paid several million dollars to do so, as well as being a part of the whole thing so complaining at all may seem somewhat petty.

If they get rid of him based on those comments- especially since he's also expressed a keen desire to keep playing Hawkeye and explore the character- they're just cutting off their nose to spite their face.
They're including Black Widow but not Hawkeye? Guess he wasn't interesting enough in the end :lol: Seems they're tying this film more closely to the events in The Avengers than IM3 and Thor 2.
Well Cap and Widow are both a part of SHIELD so any exploration of them will almost require SHIELD to be involved. I wouldn't be stunned to see a cameo by the Agents team in CA2 and I'm downright expecting it for A2:AoU. Stark and Thor don't really care for the SHIELD power structure.

I'm wondering how long Thor can wander about Earth with Jane until someone recognises him and SHIELD comes to have a chat.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Just saw the trailer as part of the TDW Blu-ray that I just watched, really looking forward to it. Of course just being a month away it's not long to wait- it looks like they're going to blow up a helicarrier.

In the special features there's a slightly longer bit about Cap 2 and it blabs a bit about the Winter Soldier and not just who he is, but how he came to be.

There's also some more background about Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crazedwraith wrote:Hawkeye got replaced with Falcon I believe. The rumour being because Jeremy Renner said some negative things about being in Avengers. (expressing disappointment Hawkeye was a villian for a good part of the film)
I think Joss Whedon acknowledged that he needed to find more for Hawkeye to do in the next movie. I'm not sure how they are going to do that if they are adding two new characters to the team. Although, those characters do set things up for what I think, in the comics, was the first team of Avengers to not have any of the original members on it. That being Cap, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch.

It'll be interesting if they make Hawkeye shoot off his mouth a lot like he has done in quite a few Avengers comics. He also seems to have turned into a bit of a ladies man when he hasn't been married. :)

There were stretches in the comics where The Falcon was Cap's partner. He was also a SHEILD agent/tech guy in the Ultimate Universe. Plus he's been the new character added to Marvel's Avengers Assemble. The cartoon that is based on the movie, and not as good as the previous The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The current Marvel Comics 'verse doesn't seem to be crossing over with the X-Men at all, so I would be surprised to see them invoke mutant characters like Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I doubt very much they'll be referred to as mutants in AOU, Fox still has the rights to the word as far as I know. They'll have the same names and powers, but their back stories will be completely redone, if they are even touched on.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

In point of fact, both have been cast for Age of Ultron.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ahriman238 wrote:In point of fact, both have been cast for Age of Ultron.
Unfortunately.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, Quicksilver looks like ass
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Hopefully, Marvel will look at the negative reaction to the design of that Quicksilver and do something different for theirs.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Tsyroc wrote:The cartoon that is based on the movie, and not as good as the previous The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
Not even fucking close.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Majin Gojira wrote:Hopefully, Marvel will look at the negative reaction to the design of that Quicksilver and do something different for theirs.
If X-Men/Fox has him, then Avengers/Mar-Dis doesn't.
I'm assuming Ahriman mean they had been cast for Days of Future Past.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also, and I mean duhhhh... Spoiler
Redford is totally going to be the Red Skull and Hugo Weaving. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Havok wrote:If X-Men/Fox has him, then Avengers/Mar-Dis doesn't.
No, they are going to be in both.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Grumman wrote:
Havok wrote:If X-Men/Fox has him, then Avengers/Mar-Dis doesn't.
No, they are going to be in both.
That almost seems like Fox being petty and giving the finger to Marvel over their success with the Cinematic universe.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Huh, maybe they have agreed to a universe crossover? Based on that article and what it cites I could certainly see that.

The fact that because they have been both X-Men and Avengers and therefore are fair game to both studios is an interesting tidbit. Wolverine and Beast have also both been Avengers, for quite some time. So has Spider-Man.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Havok wrote:Huh, maybe they have agreed to a universe crossover? Based on that article and what it cites I could certainly see that.

The fact that because they have been both X-Men and Avengers and therefore are fair game to both studios is an interesting tidbit. Wolverine and Beast have also both been Avengers, for quite some time. So has Spider-Man.
I'm pretty sure it comes down to the wording of the contracts. I would suspect that Quicksilver falls under a heading like "and other characters appearing in the Xmen lineup" while Wolverine and Spider-Man were specifically named with defined usage rights.

So I doubt we'll see Spider-Man or Wolverine in the MCU without the studio rights lapsing, as if they could use them I'm sure they already would have.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Havok wrote:Also, and I mean duhhhh... Spoiler
Redford is totally going to be the Red Skull and Hugo Weaving. :D
Yup. I'm assuming they're playing with Spoiler
Geoff Johns' Red Zone storyline, where Red Skull went by the imaginatively-changed name of 'Dell Rusk' and was the US Secretary of Defense. Taking him down set up the "Iron Secretary" storyline, where Stark ended up as Secretary of Defense for a good while.

As for the use of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in both Days of Future Past (ugh--hate that Quicksilver look) and in Avengers 2, from what I understand, it comes down to this: X-Men can't play up their link to the Avengers, while Avengers can't mention them either as mutants or as the children of Magneto. I figure Joss Whedon will figure some way around it, hinting at things without outright stating them.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I won free tickets to go see this next week. Winning.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Just got back from seeing, is there going to be a seperate thread for spoiler discussion or should we just go here with spoiler tags?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »