Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm loving the feel of this, and I dig Cap's outfit. I preferred his original in Captain America to the one in Avengers. Glad they chose to go with the "spy thriller" vibe over than "Bellicose American Punch-fest". And man, Robert fucking Redford.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier Trailer

Post by Mr Bean »

Interesting look, seems like the bloated out of control military budget is now springing for multiple underground facilities for multiple stealth....aircraft...carriers. Said aircraft carriers also seem to be mounting some sort of beam turrets. The bottoms look like space craft not ocean going vessels.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

We see hull numbers 42 and 88 in that...hangar come shipyard, Number 42 taking off and then number 42 going crashing down in flames. Presumably number 64 from Avengers is still about somewhere. Three fuckoff huge helicarriers? Damn.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

didn't SHIELD have at least 4 of those in the mainstream comics
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

I would be very shocked if every military in the world wasn't screaming for bigger budgets post-Avengers. I presume SHIELD would be claiming some of that, too.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:We see hull numbers 42 and 88 in that...hangar come shipyard, Number 42 taking off and then number 42 going crashing down in flames. Presumably number 64 from Avengers is still about somewhere. Three fuckoff huge helicarriers? Damn.

Who else went "Fuck yeah!" when they saw several Heli Carriers being manufactured and lifting off.
And then started whimpering "no no no!" as they came crashing down :(

I weep for the several hundreds of billions of AWESOME whose lives were cut short. :(
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

As much as I loved the pulp feel of the first film, I'm really keen on seeing an En Brubaker-influencd Cap take center stage this time.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My take:
Rogers is still having problems dealing with the New Age.
Redford is going to be playing one of the Directors
Capt's gonna have his hands full.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Ooooh, this looks really fun. I'm now quite excited.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I didn't watch the first one, but this looks promising. Did everyone else notice Falcon, the guy in the wingsuit?
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

I'm wondering if Redford isn't the head of the Secret Empire. That would make for a nice allusion to his role in All The President's Men. Plus, when they announced his casting, I was wondering what huge role he would play, even though all the info at the time just listed him as a senior member of SHIELD.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I hope they don't try and pull some kind of swerve and make Redford the Red Skull or Strucker.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Did it look like one of the carriers was using super-sized versions of Stark's repulsors for lift instead of the bladed fans that the first helicarrier has?

One of the suggestions for who Redford might be, assuming he isn't just Alexander Pierce, Spoiler
is Aleksander Lukin
from the Winter Soldier storyline in the comics. Spoiler
He ended up with the Red Skull sharing space in his head because of a nearly powerless Cosmic Cube.
Really, he could turn out to be a new take on any number of the traditional Captain America or SHEILD villains. After what the movies did with the Mandarin things could get even more interesting than what we see in the trailer.

If you look at the cast list on IMDB you'll see there are a lot of name villains and heroes listed for this movie. I imagine that more than a few of them will be mostly background or only make brief appearances.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Is that just bits of one helicarrier coming down in the trailer? It looked to me like there might be more.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well, at least one mostly whole helicarrier (number 42) is crashign in flames, but there may be another one damaged or destroyed.

I'm curious as to why they are using the hull numbers they are, sicne they don't fit with any aircraft carrier hull numbers I know of. And if there are only a handful why they need double-digit numbers rather than just names.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well, at least one mostly whole helicarrier (number 42) is crashign in flames, but there may be another one damaged or destroyed.

I'm curious as to why they are using the hull numbers they are, sicne they don't fit with any aircraft carrier hull numbers I know of. And if there are only a handful why they need double-digit numbers rather than just names.
I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to be but IIRC the number 64 for the helicarrier in The Avengers was a reference to Captain America's appearance in The Avengers #4 in 1964. I'm sure they have some reason for the numbers on the others but in universe it's going to be a mess. Except for maybe in the Ultimate Universe I don't remember the helicarriers having hull numbers. They did have names but most of the time there was usually only one helicarrier at a time other than when they gave Dum Dum the Behemoth to go after Godzilla. I think multiple helicarriers were present in the fairly recent, SHEILD and Nick Fury heavy, Secret Warriors.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So, based on this and Iron Man III, will the next Avengers villain have something to do with Earth's military-industrial complex?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
at 1:06 we see the smaller aircraft with the designation 65. I think SHIELD has all its air assets in a single numerical order regardless of class and type.

so #88 is an air carrier but 87 and 89 are regular aircraft.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Gandalf wrote:So, based on this and Iron Man III, will the next Avengers villain have something to do with Earth's military-industrial complex?
From all indications and data so far, they're copying the basic plot of "Marvel Adventures: Avengers" #1 and having the new way to protect the world be the AI controlled drone army that will be dubbed "Ultron".

But I'm sure he'll also have a main Vibranium Body for people to punch.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well, at least one mostly whole helicarrier (number 42) is crashign in flames, but there may be another one damaged or destroyed.

Might be a disinformation move- paint "60" on the hull of your ship and the enemy will go "HOLY SHIT THEY HAVE SIXTY OF THOSE!?"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Certainly be useful if people know they can cloak those things. Does the cloak block scans other than visible light?
Last edited by Gaidin on 2013-10-26 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

In the modern US Navy, carriers are currently at number 80 (USS Enterprise, due to be commissioned in 2025). We number our ships before they're even built. So if a ship is cancelled, the number just moves on. Another example are our battleships. If we ever built another one, it'd be BB-72...even though the last one we built was USS Wisconsin, BB-64. The reason is that there were actually going to be two more Iowa class battleships and five of the even bigger Montana class. But they were scrapped or cancelled when the war ended.

Also consider that numbers can transcend ship types. BB 1 and 2 were actually armored coastal defense cruisers, not true battleships. Carriers up to number 64 were not nuclear, but Enterprise (the first nuclear carrier) took up number 65 instead of CVN-1.

So I'd say that Shield doesn't have 60-something helecarriers, they more than likely have a ton of other non-helicarrier vehicles that share the same number scheme.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

So, from what I can gather, SHIELD is taking a rather darker, more paranoid path, which is pretty natural considering the still-recent alien invasion. Building new, more advanced heli-carriers, Cap taking about freedom vs. fear. I'm gonna take a small guess and say MAYBE the destruction of said carriers is actually instigated by Cap himself, though I could be (and probably am) drastically wrong about that.
Also nice to see a glimpse of actual hand-to-hand combat in there, which is something I thought the last film lacked a bit. Cap's obviously extremely proficient at it, what with being a super-soldier and all that, he just seems to prefer walloping people with his shield than with his strong kung-fu most of the time.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I think what's interesting is that we're seeing two sides of SHIELD between the movies(at least with Avengers and this trailer) and the TV show. The movies show us the more intelligence agency side where things are a lot more paranoid, and when things start happening it really is blowing up in your face because you really did miss it by that much of a mile. The TV show is more of a law enforcement side where they're more active, more people friendly, and while yes, handling secret information, and dealing with crazy conspiracies you could easily make one of these kinds of movies out of, they're handling it in a more law enforcement fashion. It makes me wonder if SHIELD isn't an agency so much as a community of agencies since the differences are radical.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah.

I'm also curious if the problems SHIELD is dealing with here are the reason why they didn't appear in Iron Man 3. Phase Two is still unfolding, so we don't know yet if Cap's second film takes place after Tony's third or concurrently with the Mandarin crisis.