Pacific Rim Re-Pick: grab some Mecha for Kaiju defense

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Pacific Rim Re-Pick: grab some Mecha for Kaiju defense

Post by Jub »

I think XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero would match a Kaiju pretty well, sure it's only 16.7m tall and weighs in at a light 8 metric tons, but it destroys some ~2km targets (If we go by the information for a Stanford Torus, with shots from its combined buster rifle. That and aside from specifically coated objects we don't see much that can't be neatly bisected by a beam sabre, this includes full sized battleships in some series. With the speed, tiny (realative) size, and firepower that beam weapon armed mobile suits have over the Kaiju they seem like they would be more than a match for everything we see in the movie.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Majin Gojira wrote:These have powerful weapons, certainly, but if the Kaiju gets in close, they can be thrown around like rag dolls or ripped apart in seconds.
Size isn't everything. God Gundam can jump into space.

Frankly Domon on his own is arguably capable of knocking the teeth out of a lot of kaiju.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:30 meters? Can I aks where you got those?
I was sure they were around 50 meters at least.
Anime height is rather fluid, but I picked it up from some height charts I saved from various Mecha sites. They're pretty accurate, all things considered.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:These have powerful weapons, certainly, but if the Kaiju gets in close, they can be thrown around like rag dolls or ripped apart in seconds.
Size isn't everything. God Gundam can jump into space.

Frankly Domon on his own is arguably capable of knocking the teeth out of a lot of kaiju.
With the mobile trace system, a lot of God Gundam's crazy power and abilities really do come from Domon.

Has anyone run the numbers on Gundam Beam Weapons, by the way? I'm sure there has been, given their general popularity. Or, if there's a number on their heat, because we see one Kaiju, Scunner, take volcanic vents to the face and survive with some damage, and then there's Slattern and the point blank nuke Survival.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

How about Shin Mazinger. You wanna punch the giant lizard? Turn your entire robit into a rocket powered fist!
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Shin Mazinger may only be 24 meters tall, but the firepower it can produce is more than enough to penetrate the hides of most Kaiju.
Browncoat

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, GaoGaiGar.

In fact, GaoGaiGar solves all your kaiju worries, it can use the Dividing Driver to confine the fight to a pocket dimension, eliminating the problems with Kaiju Blue contamination, and then smack the Kaiju with a big hammer until it is sorry, dead, or both. (Plus, it might not be the size of a Kaiju, but it did beat up a moon once. Sort of.)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

That does depend on which version, but even at about 30 meters per version, the crazy powers that thing has would go a long way to halting a Kaiju's advance.

And at the high end of the spectrum, we have:

Browncoat

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

If you want overwhelming Gundam firepower, just grab the Double X.

Presuming its at night and has time to charge up (which it should, if they know the Kaiju is coming), the thing can blow up an island. If it didn't kill a Kaiju, it would certainly do a LOT of damage. Admittedly though, that would assume you can get it the Moon Base as part of the deal, or it becomes a standard Gundam and isn't any more useful than an 'average' Gundam, and having something like Wing Zero would be more useful.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

For close combat with Kaiju, I'll go with Dygenguar from SRW OG.

Using the Granzon might be a little overkill... :D :D :D
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Re: Sizes

Yea, you wouldn't have to match them in that area to be a threat! I mean Tresspasser (I think that was the first one) was brought down conventionally (although that was a rather terrible fight), so when the weapons are more powerful.

So for my pick, I'll go with Celestial Beings True GN Drive Gundams from 00. Extra overkill if you use post timeskip or movie versions. I mean you could just park Lockon in orbit and snipe them as they surface! (To say nothing of the Dynames's specific anti-underwater combat gear! Or any of the other mechs from that series, Raiser Sword vs Kaiju, not ending well for the giant monster)
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok, lets redefine things abit.

What if you had to pick a Mech to fight the Kaiju and NOT relay upon large scale energy weapons?
IE, a Mech that could kill them via either punching the crap out of them or overpowering them.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Mecha-Godzilla?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

If I gotta control it myself: Mazinkaiser.

If I get the systems to control a combiner by myself, Sol Gravion:

SRX:

Or Garmraid Blaze:

I assume that any NewType abilities and such that may be needed to pilot the machine (often without killing yourself) are provided?
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Given how saurian the Kaiju are for the most part, Getter Robo forms come to mind as great options!

And that's just for standard ones. Getter can burrow at high speeds in the second form:

But Majin, you say, what about underwater? Got it covered.

Browncoat