Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

How good is the pilot?

Great.
11%
Good.
56%
Okay.
30%
Bad.
3%
Terrible.
No votes

Total votes: 61

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (SPOILERS)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, its nice that Marvel is making a show with a female lead.

Edited to be more accurate.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I wonder if they'll change the name now that S.H.I.E.L.D. is defunct, or keep it for name recognition.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Coulson refused to go to Stark for a reason.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Darksider wrote:I wonder if they'll change the name now that S.H.I.E.L.D. is defunct, or keep it for name recognition.
Coulson's people could keep using S.H.I.E.L.D. as a team of super heros/vigilantes rather than a government agency.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Yeah but then they'd have to make up a new acronym.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Darksider wrote:Yeah but then they'd have to make up a new acronym.
Not really. To them they're still SHIELD. That's what matters. To the person in front of them they need never mention SHIELD. They're just the person that Coulson and May need to say 'Don't worry about your boss, worry about us' to.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Maybe Coulson could get legal help from Tony like Maria Hill did and then have his team become a private security company owned by Tony.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I thought Coulson sort of had an aversion to that on something of a principle. Though by the second season he might be in a little bit of a bind.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I thought the season finale really hit it out of the ballpark. And I was immensely please that Fury was more than a cameo. Team Fury and Coulson are too much cool for the bad guys to have a chance.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Fan-fucking-tastic. For a series that started off decidedly underwhelming, AoS grew into a great show, and has earned its place in the MCU. The finale confirms this - it was an emotional rollercoaster that managed to tie everything together and simultaneously open up multiple new cans of worms.
I thought Fitz finally admitting his feelings for Simmons was heart-breaking. I hadn't even realised I'd grown so attached to those two, it's like my feels flew in under the radar :P Considering Simmons used to irritate me it's a hell of a turnaround. Having Fitz be potentially brain-damaged was new as well, different and perhaps sadder than simply giving his life so Simmons could live.
I had such an evil grin on my face as May kicked the shit out of Ward...even as he was gaining the upper hand I knew it was coming. Nothing like a throat punch and a kick to the temple to give a guy food for thought.
Nick Motherfucking Fury. The man is truly a joy to watch. His scathing put-downs of Garrett were priceless. Speaking of Garrett...
I literally had to punch my solar plexus to kickstart my breathing again after Coulson vaporised Garrett. I have not laughed that hard, for that long for a very long time. GENIUS.
I'm glad Mike got his soul back, damaged though it might be. Deathlok has had several portrayals in the comics, so there's no reason why he can't be an anti-hero or even a straightforward super-hero in the future. Hopefully he makes further appearances and gets a little more messed up so he goes full Deathlok...(am I a bad person for wishing that? Meh)
It was a bit of a surprise to see Coulson become the new SHIELD director, but a nice one nevertheless. And 'Director Coulson' has a nice ring to it anyway.
And it turns out there's something 'up' with Coulson after all...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I liked the expression on Coulson's face when Fury said TAHITI was used for a fallen Avenger.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well that was a damn fine finale. Ah, poor Fitz.

And yeah, Coulson and Fury together was awesome, and that line about it being used on a fallen Avenger was pretty sweet. And bringing along the Destroyer-weapon was pretty sweet.

The best part has to be Garret getting blasted, and Phil's only reaction is "hey guys, I found it. Told ou it'd be here."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, were the two agents running the secret bases twins, clones, robots, life model decoys?
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, were the two agents running the secret bases twins, clones, robots, life model decoys?

My guess is he is a twin. I seem to recall the first agent saying that he had a brother that he played games with. So he's probably just his brother.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

An interesting throwaway line I just picked up on when re-watching...Fitz is talking about the pod at the bottom of the ocean, and says it's designed to be compatible with "all SHIELD aircraft, submarine, spacecraft." The last bit caught my attention - does this mean SHIELD has its own spaceships? If so, are we talking normal rockets or something a little beefier?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I noticed that. Perhaps it will be explained in Avengers 2.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Chimaera wrote:An interesting throwaway line I just picked up on when re-watching...Fitz is talking about the pod at the bottom of the ocean, and says it's designed to be compatible with "all SHIELD aircraft, submarine, spacecraft." The last bit caught my attention - does this mean SHIELD has its own spaceships? If so, are we talking normal rockets or something a little beefier?
I totally missed that bit. It does explain why 90ft of water did not implode it, although I did wonder how much air was in the container for them not to asphixiate. It was not the best way for Fitz to admit he loved Simmons, and now we'll have to wait and see how badly his brain was damaged by the lack of oxygen. I'd hate to see him lose that marvelous brain of his.

But let's take a rundown of all the Cool Things that we saw.
1. Samuel L. Jackson. If that was a "cameo" appearance, I'd love to see him Guest Star. He had a good amount of screen time and some of the best dialogue with Coulson.
2. The return of the "Big Damn Gun", along with Coulson's quip that he "knew how it worked". Since he was the only one to have ever fired it (at Loki), yes, he knew exactly what it did to super-powered humanoids.
3. TAHITI used on an Avenger. Oh yes, Coulson was shocked, but it was *so* perfect.
4. Ward smackdown. hehehehhehe. From the first "Oh, you slept with her" we all knew Ward was up shit creek. Pipes, boards, hand-saws, bench-saws (nice touch using the blade's momentum to throw a pipe at his head), and finally a NailGun. I had hoped she'd do more than nail his foot, but hey, she nearly crushed his windpipe, making him shutup for a while.
5. Garrett. Ah Garrett ... you were gonna rule the world, you insane mutherfucker.... "Hey guys! I found it! I told you it was in there!" Best. TropeKiller. Ever.

Now, what we have to look forward to?
1. Samuel L. Jackson. He'll be everywhere :-D
2. "Flowers" working with Skye's Parents, as well as playing around with the Gravitonium. She's seriously creeping me out more than anyone else with her Evolution philosphy. I'm sure it will tie in with Xmen or other things at some point.
3. The scribbles on the wall. I couldn't tell if it was circuitry, star-chart, or Math-without-Numbers, but it is obviously something that Garrett and Phil both saw via the serum. It's huge, from the look of the wall, and the pile of dust at Phil's feet he's carving it pretty deep.
4. Restarting SHIELD, while discrediting/destroying Hydra. A huge challenge, when there's just the 5 of them. We don't know if Fitz will (or even can) return. So there's openings for adding new characters to the mix... like Billy. I hope he doesn't make them use the Chair again.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Lol. On the finale, Ming-Na Wen apparently tweeted "NAIL HYDRA."

They totally should have had her say that in the show.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

This episode was so full of awesome I don't know where to start. FitzSimmons surviving (after a fashion), Skye outfoxing Garret's systems like nobody's business, her 'I have a much better weapon than that' speech and the resulting trashing of ex-Agent Ward (I'd still have preferred an armoured-up Tony but you take what you can get), the alleged bomb turning out to be an Other Guy action figure but I think my favourite part was this-

'It was a 'break glass in case of emergency' situation.'
'Yes, but that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger.'
'Exactly.'

I was seriously pissed by the 'ha-ha Garret isn't dead afterall' sequence...for not quite 58 seconds. And I loved the casualness with which Coulson treated the incident. 'Hey guys! I found it. Told you It'd be in here.'

There may have been better superhero season finales in the past but at least for the time being, I can't think of one.

And why in Valen's name does an organisation that calls itself HYDRA use an octopus for their symbol?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

As several people have pointed out the I found it scene was excellent. As to the Gravitonium wasn't there a person trapped in it?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Thought it was a bit too network, but it is on a network and need to learn to not watch it after watching Sunday's cable shows. Liked the majority of it but could have used a bit more consequences, the super soldiers just need to remove their eye and they're normal, twin brother to bring actor back etc. Good thing is that maybe they're finally convinced the show can be a vehicle for the rest of the MCU, seems like they upped the scope a bit, and it can possibly be first appearances or setups for movie plots.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Batman wrote:I was seriously pissed by the 'ha-ha Garret isn't dead afterall' sequence...for not quite 58 seconds. And I loved the casualness with which Coulson treated the incident. 'Hey guys! I found it. Told you It'd be in here.'
I didn't like that scene initially either - it seemed like he was pretty dead, especially when he's shown being loaded into some kind of case earlier on by the clean-up crew. How'd he get out? How'd he get past the people who picked him up?

I probably would have liked it better if the scene showed him waking up, breaking out of whatever captivity he was in, and then getting vaporized. Oh well.

I'm hoping Fitz comes out ok next season, the way they set it up there could be so many bad outcomes.
dragon wrote:As several people have pointed out the I found it scene was excellent. As to the Gravitonium wasn't there a person trapped in it?
Yep, the doctor who Coulson came to save is trapped in it.

Anyone else notice that Skye's parent's hand is covered in blood? Or some other fluid?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Me2005 wrote:I didn't like that scene initially either - it seemed like he was pretty dead, especially when he's shown being loaded into some kind of case earlier on by the clean-up crew. How'd he get out? How'd he get past the people who picked him up?
My guess is that, after he was boxed, the US military decided to focus on the people still alive. They wouldn't be in the habit of worrying about a corpse getting back up.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Does anyone else feel like the 'evolution' aspect Flowers is interested in seems like a way to shoehorn in 'not mutants owned by Fox'? Not that I mind of course.

Anyone got any clue as to Skye's parent there?
Dragon Clan Veritech
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kojiro wrote:Does anyone else feel like the 'evolution' aspect Flowers is interested in seems like a way to shoehorn in 'not mutants owned by Fox'? Not that I mind of course.

Anyone got any clue as to Skye's parent there?
I've heard the word "Inhumanoids" thrown around. Look human until they go through the Terragan Gas rite, then they get Powers. The drawback is that the Inhumanoids are allergic to certain pollutants in the modern world.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet