Anti-Vampire Weapon Idea?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: Anti-Vampire Weapon Idea?

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Vendetta wrote: Most of the exotic anti-vampire weapons have been done somewhere though.

Carbon bullets and gas grenades laced with garlic in Ultraviolet (British TV series, not the movie)
Holy water paintballs in Dresden Files
Holy water firehoses in Top 10
A pencil in From Dusk til Dawn.
Wooden bullets, used several times in Saberhagen's Dracula novels.

The Pope, in the novel Vampire$. "Bless you, my son." <FWOOSH!>
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Just saw this thread, hope this is not necroing.
Will holy water remain holy forever, even when it takes part of the water cycle? How large amounts of water can a priest or pope sanctify in one day? A few litres? A water truck? A lake or a whole ocean?

If water remains holy and huge quantities can be sanctified, make the pope and a number of priests travel the world and sanctify water everywhere. Slowly, HH2O would be a part of water everywhere. Rain would contain HH2O and be like acid to vampires. HH2O would be drunk by all life and be part of our blood and flesh. A vampire could not drain our blood and the only wine they could drink would have to be old. They would also get quite dirty, since they couldn't clean themselves with anything containing water. Humid weather would erode them and their lungs.

If HH2O works that way, vampires would die out never to return...
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm pretty sure that "holy" is an aggregate property of the water molecules and/or the container(s), not a property of individual molecules. Also, I imagine that being drunk by an animal and subsequently sweated or urinated out would pretty comprehensively "unholy the holy water" for any reasonable definition of 'holy.'
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Vendetta wrote:Presumably that would require Buddhist vampires.

Most of the exotic anti-vampire weapons have been done somewhere though.

Carbon bullets and gas grenades laced with garlic in Ultraviolet (British TV series, not the movie)
Holy water paintballs in Dresden Files
Holy water firehoses in Top 10
A pencil in From Dusk til Dawn.
For that matter, holy water ice guns have been done before in "The Man With The Golden Torc" thought it was used there against demon infections not vampires.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

How about Holy Water as steam?

Vimes used something akin to this against a Vampire in Feet of Clay
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

How about if you can bless anything why not just bless [insert weapon/ammo of choice here] and be done with it? The trees, the squirrels....bless them all and get freshniquet.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

PainRack wrote:How about Holy Water as steam?

Vimes used something akin to this against a Vampire in Feet of Clay
He said he soaked candle wicks in holy water and let them dry out. 'That just leaves holy'. It was heavily implied he was just faking the guy out.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Besides, wouldn't the holy just evaporate right along with the water? If the holy clung to the material you drenched in holy water even when the water is gone, holy crossbow bolts/arrows should be child's play (or maybe not-how does getting soaking wet affect those? I honestly don't know).

And even if we assume water turned into steam stays holy (most if not all the water molecules are still present, afterall) I'm not really sure how that provides an advantage over liquid water unless we are talking about steam-driven explosives. But as usual I'm probably missing something.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Lord of the Abyss wrote: Wooden bullets, used several times in Saberhagen's Dracula novels.

The Pope, in the novel Vampire$. "Bless you, my son." <FWOOSH!>
They also actually exist as factory loaded ammo from god bless, Romania; my dad managed to buy a few rounds of 7.62x54R like this at random gunshows. A good number of blanks in the world used to be produced, and some still are, with little varnished wooden plugs instead of wadding to hold in the powder, so those ought to work as well at close range.

Wooden hand grenades and land mines have been done before as well, though this might raise the question on if any amount of wood in the vampire heart is fatal, or it actually needs to be a serious chunk after we put a six inch thick wooden beam in front of a claymore.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

One idea, if a priest can bless enough water at once, would be to have a priest attached to every fire hall to bless each trucks load of water. This could also work with riot vehicles that carry stores of water with them. Now instead of sending out a vampire hunting unit, you can send in a much more mundane looking unit that can still deal with a vampire threat.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Would kosher products count?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Zwinmar wrote:Would kosher products count?
If you've got Jewish vampires, sure... :P The notion that "it can only hurt them if they believe in it" is out there often enough that usually you have to have even a slight margin of rationalization for something that hurts vampires. For example, say they're aliens from a planet where a cross-shaped tree was poisonous to their species, so they have a reflexive fear of the cross shape. Something like that... there's not a whole lot of logic necessarily inherent in the whole "vampires are y so they fear/are harmed by x" stuff, and I've always thought that vampires who were only harmed by actual physical damage were more logical. As far as vampires being logical goes, anyway.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Something like that... there's not a whole lot of logic necessarily inherent in the whole "vampires are y so they fear/are harmed by x" stuff, and I've always thought that vampires who were only harmed by actual physical damage were more logical. As far as vampires being logical goes, anyway.
The way I figure it, vampires are magic, and thus not operating entirely within the laws of physics. This has upsides, like being able to take liberties with conservation of energy, and downsides, like being subject to damage from things that are harmless to humans. For example, in my story that I'll probably never get written, vampires are magically associated with evil and disease. As a consequence, they are susceptible to things that represent Good, like a crucifix, a Buddhist scripture talisman, or the sun. They're also susceptible to silver, because of its association with purity; so while lead and copper alloy bullets barely register for them, silver bullets hurt. This also explains, in my world, why vampires are said to have no reflection--back in the day when mirrors were backed with silver, they didn't. Modern aluminum-backed mirrors reflect them just fine. (So what exactly is happening with the light that does and doesn't go through the vampire depending on how you look at it? It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit!)

As far as wood goes, it's my understanding that in the old folklore, the stake through the heart wasn't to kill the vampire (something that may not even be possible according to the legends) but to physically nail it to the ground so it couldn't get out of the grave to terrorize the village any more.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest that with a little thought, you can put together something that's recognizably a pop culture vampire but still makes at least a little bit of sense.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Small problem- the silver-backed mirror wasn't created until the 19th century far as I can tell so they should also have shown up in all the mirrors people used before that time (which goes back to several thousand years BC), not to mention every naturally reflective non-silver surface in existence.
That reminds me-do stereotypical vampires have reflections in, say, a pool of water or a glass window? I honestly can't say.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

Zwinmar wrote:How about if you can bless anything why not just bless [insert weapon/ammo of choice here] and be done with it? The trees, the squirrels....bless them all and get freshniquet.
I see what you did there. :D
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Small problem- the silver-backed mirror wasn't created until the 19th century far as I can tell
"The invention of the silvered-glass mirror is credited to German chemist Justus von Liebig in 1835." -- Wikipedia

Well, I'll be darned; I thought it was much earlier. Silver-mercury amalgam on glass dates back to about 500 CE in China, but the Wikipedia article doesn't say when that technology came to Europe. Also, silver-mercury amalgam isn't "silver" for magical purposes. FURTHERMORE, it turns out that actual silver IS still used in many modern mirrors.

I was all kinds of wrong on this one!
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Jub wrote:One idea, if a priest can bless enough water at once, would be to have a priest attached to every fire hall to bless each trucks load of water. This could also work with riot vehicles that carry stores of water with them. Now instead of sending out a vampire hunting unit, you can send in a much more mundane looking unit that can still deal with a vampire threat.
I remember giving up on 'religious' vampires as legitimate threats at exactly the junction of the "the human body is mostly water" and "Holy Water is any priest-blessed source" ideas. From both the "priests become walking pyrokinetic anti-vampire weapons" perspective and the "Go ahead, bite me; I fucking dare you." perspective.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Watching the last Lost Boys movies. . . .Spray water on a vampire and then bless it.
Seems a bit much.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Batman wrote:Besides, wouldn't the holy just evaporate right along with the water? If the holy clung to the material you drenched in holy water even when the water is gone, holy crossbow bolts/arrows should be child's play (or maybe not-how does getting soaking wet affect those? I honestly don't know).
Grow tree in hydroponics tank filled with holy water, make arrows/bolts/whatever from wood where every pore and capillary is filled with holy water?